I want to moan and whinge about the mass attendence card for FHC.

(31 Posts)
LynetteScavo Fri 09-Nov-12 21:23:13

So...we were given a card in September, and it needs to be stamped until first holy communion in may. The exact date I will not know until February, but that's a different thread) I missed the meeting where these cards were handed out. We were given 2 weeks notice of that meeting...I had that date booked to go somewhere in my diary for 18 months. The priest was not happy I didn't go, even though I explained I had this prior arrangement.

Anyway I only found out today from another child on the playground that we should have 10 stamps before Christmas, and ten stamps after. Which is fine, especially after Christmas, but not that easy before as my DC tend to be run down at this time of year, and I'd rather they rested over the weekend because I work and really need them to go to school so I don't have to take time off. She has also missed a couple of masses as she has been on sleep overs, but with girls from her class, so I was presuming they hadn't been to mass either, then find out they have all been on a Sunday evening. Duh!

So DD only has 5 stamps, while other children have about 10 already. How, I'm not sure, as we have to hand the cards in when we attend mass and they are given back at school on a Thursday. So not able to get a Sat and Sunday.

Anyway, we went to mass on Thursday 1st November as it's a day of obligation, so last week stuck a post it on the mass card asking for a stamp for that day as well as Sunday. DD was given a signature dated 31st Oct. hmm

TBH, I find it very patronising. I am raising my DD Catholic the best I know how, and I don't see how 10 stamps before Christmas will prove that or not. I'd love to see them try and not let her have her FHC if she doesn't have enough stamps. We will have enough stamps....but they wouldn't refuse her if not...would they...? shock (I'd like to see them try!)

Oh, and we will book the date we want for FHC in February (no more than 5 candidates at one service)....there is a bank holiday weekend and half term in May...do you think they will let those with the most stamps have first choice of dates? I already know Godparents won't be able to attend on certain dates, which will be a shame for them and us if we can't have a mutually convenient date.

This is the first year the church hasn't done all FHCs on one date. I am actually gutted very sad DDs teachers (class teacher, dept head and head teacher) who live in another town and worship at different churches may not be at her HC. So it could be no Godparents & no teachers.

If you have read my pathetic moan and whinge this far well done, and thank you.

RooneyMara Sun 25-Nov-12 09:54:41

and reading that back, it's a train of thought which may or may not offend someone....I am really sorry if it does.

I think I just don't understand why all the red tape. That's all. And I think showing up at mass at all is a fairly good indication of commitment, even if it isn't every single week.

RooneyMara Sun 25-Nov-12 09:56:24

Oh! and biggest point of course, is that a lot of people turn up to mass dutifully for entirely the wrong reasons.

My point is that I can't see what all this fuss has to do with knowing Christ.

LynetteScavo Sun 25-Nov-12 22:13:05

SilentMammoth, believe me, I'm with you on that! Nothing is the answer!

I am now resigned to friends, Godparents and teachers not being there, which is a shame.

And re stamps, DD now has 8, so only two more needed before Christmas, apparently hmm. I agree, asking to have a card stamped shows a lack of trust, and in this area it certainly has nothing to do with getting into a good high school.

I am unsure whether DD will really be ready, as she will still only be 7yo. We'll have to see.

ethelb Mon 26-Nov-12 20:08:40

Yes its the break down of trust between the laity and the clergy that is so hard to swallow.

I had lessons iwth the priest (no RC Primary schoool) and would have had my commitement questioned if I didn't turn up to those and do the homework.

But stamps on a card? Surely you should be going every week or they should trust your reasons not too.

Plus the priest offering a choice of dates for FHC for getting the most 'stamps' is far, far worse than sweet bribery by a long long way. It's sick.

LynetteScavo Mon 26-Nov-12 20:42:23

The priest hasn't actually done that....it was just my mind whirring.

But with so many holidays in May, I can see certain dates being more popular than others. ONLY FIVE CANDIDATES PER MASS has been stated. Forty candidates and 8 weeks....lets just hope everyone is happy with the date they get.

I don't care which date it is, but I would like to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now