Buddhism?

(18 Posts)
Salbertina Sun 28-Oct-12 19:05:18

Anyone want to discuss?

FarelyKnuts Sun 28-Oct-12 19:07:23

Discuss what?

Salbertina Sun 28-Oct-12 19:09:36

Dharma...meditation??... Practice...ethics...any ideas??

Reenypip Tue 04-Dec-12 21:55:05

Hello!

vintageviolets Tue 04-Dec-12 21:58:29

Helloooo

Reenypip Wed 05-Dec-12 16:23:36

How's everyone?

Salbertina Fri 07-Dec-12 12:41:50

Hello, Reeny! smileJust you and me then? Must be more interested...
Whats your experience/practice/background then?

Salbertina Fri 07-Dec-12 12:45:19

Oh and waves to vintageviolet smile

Feeling need to write something profound and failing miserably

Ok, who wants to start? How so you intend to be in your daily life which follows the dharma? Im quite new to all this but am trying to be much more in the present, to pause when I'm tempted by a chocolate craving...

Salbertina Sun 09-Dec-12 10:57:37

You've all disappeared again!

literaryone Tue 11-Dec-12 09:45:48

Hello! I'm not Buddhist (in the sense that I haven't taken refuge) but I do try to follow some aspects of the dharma in daily life. Went on Buddhist retreat earlier this year and want to go another in spring 2012.

Reenypip Thu 13-Dec-12 22:07:12

Hiya, been too poorly to come on in last few days. That's how I first come across Buddhism. When my health deteriorated, mindfulness was mentioned to me. And my interest built from there, and started to look into Buddhism.

FiercePanda Sun 16-Dec-12 01:30:11

I'm really interested in Buddhism, and always seem to "come back" to it when my health deteriorates (chronic pain and depression). The mindfulness aspect seems to be something I can do to help myself. I've been reading "Buddhism For Mothers", the Triatna and buddhanet websites as well as following some Buddhist/dharma Twitter accounts. Eventually I'll take myself along to the Buddhist centre or a meditation class in town.

Reenypip Sun 16-Dec-12 10:59:01

Hiya fiercepanda, I've read Buddhism for mothers. It was actually reccomensed toe on here from another mums net member.
I've also got a few other books. Of course, can do all the reading about it, but important bit is experience and putting into practice.
I would like to attend a local Buddhist centre too.

Reenypip Sun 16-Dec-12 11:00:15

* recommended to me

Reenypip Sun 16-Dec-12 11:00:52

I have multiple health problems too and have severe chronic pain.

FiercePanda Sun 16-Dec-12 11:27:24

Putting it into practice is what I need to do, and really get my teeth into it. I have adopted some mindfulness techniques which helps a lot with the pain I get, as well as any negative thoughts. What other books would you recommend?

Salbertina Tue 18-Dec-12 05:32:35

Not a book but can highly recommend free weekly podcasts by Tara Brach (Buddhist psychotherapist) on all sorts, forgiveness, taking refuge, mindfulness etc. love them and she has a v soothing voice and great sense of humour. Am reading autobiography "Going Buddhist" by a friend of iris Murdoch, quite interesting.

Salbertina Sun 23-Dec-12 14:44:17

What are people doing for Christmas? Not doing anything special here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now