Christening for 4yo and 2yo?

(8 Posts)
kirstytate Wed 24-Oct-12 09:44:28

Hi - I'd like some advice please about getting my DDs christened. It's something I have wanted to do for a while for personal reasons but never got round to it when they were babies. We attend church regularly and I just want to do this for them although I realise they're both a bit old.

The things standing in my way are (a) my partner, who doesn't share my faith but wouldn't oppose it, and (b) I have no-one I can really call upon to be godparents - I haven't lived in the area very long and there are no aunts or uncles to ask.

Any advice? Has anyone had older children christened in church and how does it work? I have spoken to my vicar about it briefly but never made any plans. All the christenings around here seem to be full-on affairs with a cast of thousands and that's not really what I want.

MaryBS Wed 24-Oct-12 20:21:02

Don't worry about their age. It would work pretty much as for a baby. I had both mine done together, the older one was 2. We've also had all ages of older children baptised in our church smile. It doesn't have to be a big affair, some people choose to do that. Is there anyone in your church you could ask, or don't you feel like you know them well enough yet? smile

sashh Thu 25-Oct-12 07:10:01

I don't think you HAVE to have god parents. Christenings can be really simple. I went to one when I was about 8, the chilren were about 8 and 9 and there was only their mother, two godparents (my parents) me and my brother.

No do afterwards either.

If you want god parents then why not ask the vicar to recomend a couple of regular attenders at church?

butterflybuns Thu 25-Oct-12 08:34:17

I was baptised with my DDs, then aged 3 years and 18 months. We had ours during the service and our only guests were family. We had wine after the service and then cake back at our house. We only wanted a low key celebration too. We all had to have godparents though so we chose my SIL and BIL and I had a lovely lady I know at church. It was a really special day and I felt that we were really accepted into the church family that day. My mum who is a die hard atheist even had a nice time!

wonderwooman Thu 25-Oct-12 08:40:18

We had all 3 DCs christened together when they were 5, 2 & 6 months. Very simple with whichever godparents could make it as it was pretty last minute, BBQ at home afterwards. It was a lovely day...even though it rained!!

OrangeLily Thu 25-Oct-12 08:44:51

Godparents don't need to live nearby either! Our gorgeous goddaughter lives in England and we are in Scotland. We travelled for the christening, it was lovely and simple too.

kirstytate Thu 25-Oct-12 09:07:48

Thanks everyone. It's nice to know it can be done.

I am going to talk to the vicar and see what she recommends. I just want them to have a special celebration and be accepted into the church family. I know you're not meant to do deals with God but it is something I reflected on a lot when pregnant with DD2 so it is important for me to make it happen.

Thanks again.

Knowsabitabouteducation Sat 27-Oct-12 16:42:16

Get to know people at your church, and you will have ready made godparents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now