Christian Podcast recommendations for more liberal and/or less OT literal teachings?

(10 Posts)
Servalan Tue 23-Oct-12 12:53:07

Wonder if anyone can help

I became a Christian almost 2 years ago and go to an evangelical church, which I've stuck to because I really value the experience of being in the spirit during worship and also the fellowship and support I've received there.

However, I am coming to a bit of a standstill faith-wise because my church very much follows the line that everything in the old testament is literal truth - Adam and Eve were real people and we are all descended from them, there is no possibility of evolution etc.

Also, there is the whole anti gay marriage thing, which I am quite upset about.

Anyway, that's the background. I enjoy listening to podcasts as encouragement and to learn more, but all the podcasts/christian radio stations etc I can find and have listened to so far seem to be very much of the ilk of that above. I would really like to also listen to podcasts from Christians where they interpret the bible in different ways and maybe have a more liberal and less rigid way of seeing things.

Not saying that either P.O.V. are "wrong" btw - just I really want to listen to stuff from other perspectives so I can try and understand better - if that makes sense

Thanks for any suggestions.

Servalan Tue 23-Oct-12 13:45:32

Bumping in the hope of some ideas!

Servalan Tue 23-Oct-12 14:49:17

Bumping again...

niminypiminy Tue 23-Oct-12 15:36:13

There's loads out there, but you might have to do some searching around. One thing you might try is cathedrals -- I looked at the site for Ely Cathedral (which is the nearest to me) and they have all their sermons podcasted. Because cathedrals often have visiting speakers to preach the sermons have a range of theological views and approaches.

One thing I do is indulge in a bit of church tourism -- I sometimes go to the Sunday evening services at other churches, or if I'm away for the weekend go to a church where I'm staying. Sometimes it's very good to be in a different worship zone, if you see what I mean.

The God Journey podcast is interesting and very liberal. Take it with a pinch of salt, but it does make you think a bit.

Servalan Tue 23-Oct-12 21:16:21

Thanks very much for the pointers - will check those out - interested in any other ideas too so please keep them coming!

Planning on checking out some other churches with a friend in the next few weeks and hoping to find something that suits me more - but in the meantime, would really like to listen to lots of varied podcasts to get a feel of what teachings are out there.

Thanks

prairiegirl81 Wed 24-Oct-12 03:10:40

Hi Servalan,

you could try progressive faith sermons, by Dr. Roger Ray, it's on iTunes, quite 'radical', but they are Christian and really get you thinking about faith in a different way - more oriented around social justice etc.

Also, the Unbelievable podcast with Justin Brierley, from Premier Radio, it's not a sermon, but a weekly debate, and they cover all manner of topics - I find it quite addictive! (It's also on iTunes)

www.premierradio.org.uk/shows/saturday/unbelievable.aspx

Also some great Unitarian ones, but they are obviously not trinitarian Christian, much more my thing though! Could link you if you're interested.

Good luck with your search.

Servalan Wed 24-Oct-12 22:06:10

Thanks for that - I'll definitely give those a look! Any other ideas still welcome too smile

Rosieres Fri 26-Oct-12 11:00:32

Some very good talks on a diverse range of topics can be found on the Greenbelt festival website here:

www.greenbelt.org.uk/media/talks/

You have to pay to download talks from the 2011 and 2012 festival, but 2010 or earlier seem to be free.

I love Greenbelt because it's a very diverse festival, so you can hear a range of views on a given topic, and they do talk about all sorts of issues. If you are looking for a more liberal view on human sexuality issues, for example, there is plenty online. For example, Gene Robinson is an openly gay Anglican bishop from America, who was invited to speak at Greenbelt in 2009. The talks he gave are here:

www.greenbelt.org.uk/media/talks/contributor:gene-robinson/year:2009/

All the best,

Rosieres

Servalan Sat 03-Nov-12 09:38:55

Thanks Rosieres - have had a look and there seems to be some interesting stuff, so will definitely give some of it a listen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now