Holy trinity churches v church of england

(17 Posts)
Gunznroses Mon 22-Oct-12 18:55:23

can anyone clarify are the holy trinity churches the same as the regular church of england churches as they seem very "charismatic aka holy tri ity brompton ?

AnitaBlake Mon 22-Oct-12 18:58:22

I always thought Holy Trinity was simply the name of the church itself, not really an indication of the denomination. Like, for example, St. Peters, or St. Matthews.

Gunznroses Mon 22-Oct-12 19:05:03

Well, ive come across two who claim they are Church of England, but they dont seem like the "regular" C of E's they seem more evangelical, setvice style etc very different, Holy Trinity Brompton is quite famously charismatic.

madhairday Mon 22-Oct-12 19:26:36

Anita is right, HT is simply the name of a church. Church of England churches range from more traditional and high to the lower end, evangelical and / or charismatic - high churches can also be 'charismatic' - there are many who would not label themselves at all. So there is no 'regular' when it comes to the CofE smile

HTB is a more famous church, but I know plenty of HT's who are more the catholic end of the spectrum.

AlexanderS Mon 22-Oct-12 19:29:41

Interesting - the Holy Trinity I used to go to was evangelical and charismatic. Maybe this name is more popular amongst those sorts of churches?

AnitaBlake Mon 22-Oct-12 19:37:28

There's lots of different styles, so perhaps that church is a very good example of the more informal church? When I was little, we went to a CofE that was very 'high church' incense, choir in gowns every week, the lot. In contrast the Catholic church my sister attends is very informal, young priest, guitar and keyboard, slide projector and kids running through the aisles. I think a lot of it is down to the main vicar/priest and the style they choose to adopt.

Gunznroses Mon 22-Oct-12 21:54:33

I think Alexanders may be right in that the C of E's with the name "Holy Trinity" are evangelical and the name is used to differentiate themselves.

fossil97 Tue 23-Oct-12 00:14:31

I thought the dedication of churches to St Mary's or whatever goes back centuries or however old the church is - pre dates the evangelical movement I'm sure. Can the name so easily be changed?

MaryBS Tue 23-Oct-12 06:43:44

Our local C of E Evangelical church is called St Mary's though. And another in our diocese is St Andrew. Doesn't always apply.

Church of England parish names will nearly always go back many centuries, so I think it's just a coincidence that there are a few "Holy Trinity" churches which happen to be evangelical. The only way the name would be relevant might be if a new parish was added more recently (eg to split up a parish when new housing was built), then the "flavour" of the people who first set up the church could maybe affect what names were considered for it. But generally Cof E is very broad, from very evangelical through to very catholic, with every shade in between.

The current style of any church will be affected both by what the priest likes, and by what the congregation likes - CofE priests get a choice of what parish they go to, and the parish (churchwardens etc) get a say in who their new priest will be, so they should be able to work out to a reasonable extent if they're going to suit each other before they get matched up. Though you do still get places where the priest is trying to push/pull them in one direction and the congregation are digging in their heels and trying to avoid change (or vice versa!)

Gunznroses Fri 26-Oct-12 19:47:55

I hadnt actually noticed that most C of E's were called St Mary's! The things you learn on MN.....

My church is St Michaels' and there are lots of those. Maybe somewhere there is a top ten of church names? Round here we have All Saints, St Mary's and St Peter's which are very common.

Knowsabitabouteducation Sat 27-Oct-12 16:29:57

HTB is Church of England.

Knowsabitabouteducation Sat 27-Oct-12 16:33:15

My church is evangelical like HTB, but we are named after one of the apostles. We have had the same patronal saint for over 500 years.

We are very firmly CofE and supporting the rest of the diocese.

Gunznroses Sat 27-Oct-12 18:55:15

Do the Holy Trinity's also have an employed "vicar"

Knowsabitabouteducation Sat 27-Oct-12 19:39:42

Holy Trinity Brompton has a vicar, Nicky Gumball.

Hopeforever Sat 27-Oct-12 19:44:16

HTB has 400 staff including Gumble over all the different churches and activities it runs! There are church plants started by HTB that are still linked and will have HTB somewhere in the name.
Our church is evangelical charismatic C of E and St Mary's so the Holy Trinity is not scribing its style

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now