Is Agnosticism the same as Atheism?

(35 Posts)
DioneTheDiabolist Thu 18-Oct-12 23:43:40

Well, that's it really.

I think that they are different but what do agnostic/Athiest MNetters think? Do you identify as either or both?

Caladria Fri 19-Oct-12 16:07:34

Pascal's wager is infuriating. Only makes sense if you believe in a petty vindictive God. Almost as kickable as the 'I'm not religious, but I believe in a higher power/ am spiritual' crowd.

In defence of agnostics: Agnosticism isn't necessarily fence sitting. It can also mean thinking that as there's no evidence either way and no conceivable way of finding evidence any time spent wondering about the existence of God is wasted. That makes it a more radical approach than atheism - it's not 'God doesn't exist', it's 'it doesn't matter if God exists.'
Or, as the old joke goes: Child 'I don't believe in God'; Rabbi 'And do you think God cares?'

CrikeyOHare Fri 19-Oct-12 16:07:55

I shown you where it's logically flawed, so I don't really care what the generally accepted view might be. (Generally accepted by, er, theists btw).

Hullygully Fri 19-Oct-12 16:08:34

No

Not the same at all, I am agnostic. I don't not believe in (a) god, but I don't 100% believe either.

Put I this way I would love to attend the conference at CERN about the Higgs bosun particle between scientists and religious bodies.

seeker Fri 19-Oct-12 16:16:25

I am an atheist. I know that there is a possibility that Jesus will come again tomorrow, and I will have to rethink- but only in the way that there is a possibility the sun won't come up tomorrow morning. A remote possibility- bit not one worth giving brain time to.

ethelb Fri 19-Oct-12 16:34:54

Just to give you all something to chew over, I am a theistic agnostic.

ethelb Fri 19-Oct-12 16:36:12

Put I this way I would love to attend the conference at CERN about the Higgs bosun particle between scientists and religious bodies.

What would be between them?

CrikeyOHare Fri 19-Oct-12 17:44:37

Nothing to chew over, ethelb - that fits entirely with the definitions of atheism & agnosticism that I gave right at the beginning.

I am (strictly speaking) an agnostic atheist - I don't know but I don't believe. You don't know but do believe, so you're an agnostic theist.

That you think think your position is unusual does highlight the dishonesty of the average theist who claims that, au contraire, they DO know, when they couldn't possibly.

You're just more honest than most, that's all.

seeker Fri 19-Oct-12 17:50:14

"Put I this way I would love to attend the conference at CERN about the Higgs bosun particle between scientists and religious bodies."

Why?

nightlurker Sat 20-Oct-12 16:31:19

I'm also somewhat confused about the Higg's Boson statement. I once went to a large religious meeting with a Physics professor who spoke about physics alongside of religion. I really wish I could remember more details, but it was immensely fascinating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now