New Christian Prayer Thread for Autumn - all welcome!

(681 Posts)
Tuo Wed 17-Oct-12 19:46:45

As the nights draw in and the leaves start to fall, it's time to start a new prayer thread. Read, pray, and post your own prayer requests.

Praying in particular, at this time, for...

... amberlight - for her continuing good health, and for her work raising awarenss of ASD in churches;
... Bluetinkerbell - for the last weeks of her pregnancy to go smoothly, for her peace of mind as she prepares to meet this baby and remembers her beautiful Sterre, and for her vocation;
... CharlotteCollinsislost - for her relationship with her H to improve with the help of counselling;
... Cupoftea - for little Beatrice and the whole family;
... Dontsteponthemomeraths - for her new job to go well;
... DutchOma - for Bob's health to be stable and for his appetite to improve, and for continued support and respite for DO;
... expatinscotland - for the whole family to receive all the love and suppor they need after the loss of their beautiful Aillidh;
... FriendofDorothy - for her pregnancy, and for a difficult work situation to be resolved;
... HaveALittleFaith - for her pregnancy, and for various work possibilities to be resolved for the best;
... jan2011 - for her H to be more sensitive to her needs and to those of their dd, and for jan to believe in herself (as we all believe in her);
... Kaykat - for her H to understand that his behaviour towards her has been unacceptable and to respect her wish for them to separate, for their ds to know that he is safe and loved at this difficult time;
... madhairday - for better health;
... MaryBS - for peace of mind and happiness;
... PositiveAttitude - for her family and their mission, for health and well-being, new friends and no rodents/mosquitoes; and for her DD1 to respond well to medication and to feel happier very soon;
... Redwhiteandblueeyedsusan - for her to know peace and comfort following her loss of her dad, for ongoing issues with her children's school, and for her ex to treat her with the respect she deserves;
... SESthebrave - for school choices;
... and for all who visit this thread - regulars, occasional posters and lurkers; those who post and those whose prayers are known only to God.

A prayer of St Richard of Chichester
Thanks be to you our Lord Jesus Christ
for all the benefits which you have given us,
for all the pains and insults which you have borne for us.
Most merciful Redeemer, friend and brother,
may we know you more clearly,
love you more dearly,
and follow you more nearly,
day by day.
AMEN

MaryBS Mon 19-Nov-12 15:23:43

We were talking about being thankful at the bible study today, and I reminded everyone about Corrie Ten Boom's sister about "being thankful for the fleas" grin

Kaykat Mon 19-Nov-12 18:16:41

Hi everyone and huge congratulations to Blue.

Hi Abitwobbly, God loves you and doesn't want you to suffer and your suffering wont benefit your children. Was your H unfaithful? If so I know your pain, my H was unfaithful to me.

Jan, some of our church contacts are starting to get involved, offering councelling etc, and we haven't even been to church for several years, I don't know if they will put pressure on me to take him back, but if a pastor admitted to me he had effectively been abusive to his wife in the first year of marriage I wouldn't want to take any further advice from him.

Charlotte, that's a shame about the house, I have huge admiration for your strength in making the decision to leave. My h now only comes home at the weekends and on weekdays I find that my mind is clear and I am content, I think you will feel like this too if you manage to make the break. At the weekend my mind is a fog of confusion.

I don't think there is any way I will ever be able to live with the thoughts of him and OW sleeping together. Neither can I trust him not to do it again if another woman is interested in him one day. Our 'relationship' now bears no resemblance to the past 20 years. He has no control over me any more, none of his tactics work any more. I immediately challenge any unreasonable words or behaviour and he apologises and puts my wishes first. If he had done all this and not cheated he would have been a great husband but its all too late now. Emotionally I am detached from him and that make me feel strong. My weakness I think you all know is my DS. The prospect of lots of time apart is not something I expected to face for a few more years.

Praying for everyone else, sorry for only focusing on the relationship issues, all of your other issues are in my heart too.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 19-Nov-12 21:14:45

Hello and prayers for all. I'm on my phone so I'll struggle to name check everyone but I will try. I sense a theme of sickness/illness so I will pray for health and wellness!

PA I hope it's just food or a bug that settles quickly so you can throw yourselves into work.

ginger praying for your sister and jan for your DD.

charlotte clearly it wasn't meant to be but He definitely has a plan for you - praying its revealed.

Thank The Lord for rising damp smile

kay if I were you I'd read your last post back and reflect on how far you've come. You sound quite different and much more confident about what he can and can't say to you. Stick with it smile

I am well - busy at work and continually growing but nothing much happening our end (which is like a lovely reprieve!). Prayers that the loss adjustor will provide final payment to our builder would be appreciated then the whole incident with the house fire can be put to rest.

Tuo Mon 19-Nov-12 22:13:26

Thank you all for your prayers. The scary meeting went better than I had hoped, and I felt strong and in control. Back to the writing now! Please pray that I can finish the chapter I need to write in the next week. It will be hard, but I am really committed to doing it.

Praying for all here and especially for those with relationship problems. You are very welcome here, Wobbly. As you've seen, there are people here who know what you are going through, and can offer sage advice. The rest of us can offer our heartfelt prayers. (Kaykat... I thought exactly what Faith has written - you have come a long long way!)

Praying for a swift recovery for PA and MrPA.

And thanking God for rising damp.

Abitwobblynow Tue 20-Nov-12 06:58:39

Hi all, although it is not really well understood by MN (for good reason, I should be on my own), with a strategy laid out by my IC I must stay and suffer a bit longer whilst I squirrel away ££££.

He is not a bad man, he was very wounded by trauma and misguided Catholic shaming as a boy, and just will not let go of those defenses. he can never be vulnerable, which would be what admitting his faults to me/hearing that I have a point would make him. Instead it is my fault etc. He is passive aggressive so it is the drip, drip of hidden anger (which is what an affair is) and sulking that I have to deal with.

I said to him once, the trouble with you is that you are Godless. Please know that He knows everything about you! He knows every little thought, what you have done, what you are still going to do - and he still loves you! You are NEVER alone. And, with that complete love and acceptance, know you can go into the dark places and face yourself, because he is holding you, and he loves you and you will not die you will be made free.

[I was actually describing narcissism.]

But he can't. To him God is about rituals, hell and judgement and anyway not that important. I pray for him to know Christ (love, acceptance, redemption and being reborn), but it is all I can do, pray.

And unfortunately for me I cannot go back to that innocence of believing in his love, and trusting him. When I discovered the betrayal, that my life was not what I thought it was, that is what I felt when I was with my innocent and unsuspecting friends. Fallen.

CharlotteCollinsislost Tue 20-Nov-12 07:05:06

Interesting (and sad), Abit - I said to my h recently that 'his' God seems to be one of judgement and not love. That is then how he treats me.

blackeyedsusan Tue 20-Nov-12 07:31:05

cough cough... I am barking... a cough this time. and ear ache. I may have to go back to the dr. I am fed up. this is 6 weeks now and it is not fair!

on the plus side, I am not going to pick up my mum. a wek with ds has persuaded her that she is capable of living on he own. grin ds has been terrible. I think he is a bit poorly too and that affects his behaviour.

DutchOma Tue 20-Nov-12 08:03:10

Has your mum any help at all BES? Do the district nurses of her surgery see her? They can organise other support as they have done for us. In our case it was the hospital in London that got in touch with our surgery and GP and it came from there.
Sorry to hear that you are still feeling so unwell and that ds is making life difficult.
Prayers for you and for everyone else.

gingercurl Tue 20-Nov-12 09:43:32

Have just spoken to my sister. They kept her in over night but have decided to send her home today. They suspect a form of angina, but because all her blood tests have come back perfect with none of the markers it and since there is nothing obvious to go on beyond pain, they've decided not to do further test but to send her home with referrals for further tests through her GP. My sister feels very unsure about it all. It is obvious to her that something is not right, but she feels they are sort of fobbing her off. Before she goes she's going to ask the doctor what they want her to do when these symptoms happen again (they are a recurring pattern that has been getting increasingly worse.) Argh!

gingercurl Tue 20-Nov-12 09:48:02

markers for it

<must proof read before posting.>

blackeyedsusan Tue 20-Nov-12 14:48:10

agggghhh yesteday sa fine, waanted to stay at home... today she is cying on the phone and I am having to get her to breathe deep and talk her though getting her tablets and food.

looks like I may be going to collect her again.

off to the dentist tonight with the small bodies... I hope we get ds to--> shock

blackeyedsusan Tue 20-Nov-12 14:48:41

and not hmm

blackeyedsusan Tue 20-Nov-12 14:49:12

or worse grin on the dentists finger

cloutiedumpling Tue 20-Nov-12 16:26:41

DS1 did that years ago. I was so embarrassed. Praying for your mum BES

blackeyedsusan Tue 20-Nov-12 21:58:04

mum has "gone" again. I have talked her thrrough everything today. I have to go and get her tomorrow. (again) she has not fed herrself or taken tablets properly.

you know when you are first in line to collect and then wish you weren't? ds has not had a good day at school. the teacher could not manage to discipline him and he has been sent to the deputy. ds tried to kick random passers by in the playgrorund and got in a couple of stamps onto dd. he has also had a bit of a tired paddy tonight and kicked me in the eye. instant timeout.

on the plus side his teeth are lovely (all the better to bite you with) though I have been told off for not cleaning them twice a day. ( you sit on him then)

oh and I once bit the dentist as she was injecting and it hurt and I was stressed and I did not realise I was clamping down on her thumb... blush

Rachel9331b Tue 20-Nov-12 22:37:26

Can people say a prayer for Caden Beggan's family. Caden was admitted to Yorkhill Sick Kid's in Glasgow last month with meningitis and secepticimia and sadly lost his battle today. He was 6 years old and brave little boy.

Rest in Peace Caden <3 xx

gingercurl Tue 20-Nov-12 22:54:18

Praying for Caden's family.

Have spoken to DSis again who has spoken to a friend who is a GP. He's basically told her that if the pain happens again and lasts for more than 15 minutes, to ignore what the doc at hospital said and call an ambulance. He also said that the symptoms she was describing could indicate a condition that doesn't tend to show up on the standard tests and is fairly rare. It could also be linked to another chronic condition she has. She is awaiting the referrals for the other scans to come through and see what comes out of that. Dsis and DBiL feel much happie/calmerr now after discussing with friend as the stuff he said seem to make sense in the context and his bedside manner is infinitely better, too. Thank you God.

Kaykat Wed 21-Nov-12 00:51:13

Wobbly, my H blamed me for his affair too. He didn't get remorseful until I told him I didn't want to be with him any more. I wasn't bluffing I really don't. So his remorse is too late.

Your last sentence really struck a chord, that's how I feel too, except for the fallen bit. Do you mean that you feel fallen? He is fallen. You are not fallen.

amberlight Wed 21-Nov-12 06:53:12

Praying through the thread for each of you.
And praying today for the women Priests in the CofE, who have woken up to a world where a massive majority of Bishops, Priests and public voted for them to be Bishops, and a tiny minority of people trashed the whole thing. May God grant wisdom aplenty to those who allowed that as a voting system, and to those who realised they had a chance to trash everyone's votes by manipulating the system.

Kaykat Wed 21-Nov-12 07:27:40

We are all fallen of course but you are talking about his adultery Wobbly and you shouldn't be the one feeling ashamed. He is trying to make you feel responsible, that's what they always do to lessen their own feelings of guilt. I would be telling those unsuspecting friends so you can get some extra support for yourself.

I just heard a really annoying man on the radio quoting Timothy and saying that the vote yesterday proves that it is Gods will that women can't be bishops grrrrr

MaryBS Wed 21-Nov-12 08:01:16

My ex said our marriage failed before we had too much money, can you believe that? (actually it failed because he was emotionally abusive and had an affair).

Prayers for all those hurt priests out there, made to feel second class by a handful of people who chose not to represent the wishes of their diocese.

blackeyedsusan Wed 21-Nov-12 08:01:20

grrrrrrrr (muttering) all voted in favour, but not enough in favour...

off on a 100 mile round trip when the childen are at aschool. worried. not sure if I should go after school. arrive at 5-30-6 do tea, drive back again at 7 aive home for 9. hope ds sleeps in the car?

There is such great sadness amoungst women clergy with the vote going as it did. We have to get up and out today and work out how to explain to our congregations how the will of the minority has been imposed on the majority. My only hope is that seats on deanery and diocesean synod will be taken up by those who want to serve the whole church.

blackeyedsusan Wed 21-Nov-12 08:30:26

oh my goodness just rung her and she is delusional. she is convinced people have come in and stolen her food. I have lost he and got dependant in need of massive suppot instead.

jan2013 Wed 21-Nov-12 08:32:26

praying for everyone. awful about the bishops... so sad

i can't get online much atm as i have clingy sick baby. im not really coping very well after being up most of the night with her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now