I'm sure I'm seeing ghosts.

(143 Posts)
GreeenFingers Sat 13-Oct-12 17:27:03

I work late afternoons as a cleaner in a school. The building is not that old, perhaps built in the early eighties.
It isn't remotely creepy but when I started I was sure I coud see children in the place, long after they'd gone home. Just fleeting glimpses that would make me turn my head. Thre was no " aura" or chill in the air that you sometimes associate with ghostly activity.
I tried to ignore it, not because I was frightened because I wasn't, but because I thought it might be my anxiety at having to do this job ( I had to take any work following redundancy)
However, although I'm very settled there now I am seeing just as much activity.
I have not mentioned this to all my collegues as I dont want to freak them out.I told my supervisor who informed me she had seen things in the old part of the school, that is set apart from this annex.
Has anyone else had such an experience?

DameEnidsOrange Sun 14-Oct-12 20:04:28

I used to work nights in a care home. Pretty much every member of staff had seen or felt something.

It was notoriously worse the night after a resident had passed away.

I was a true cynic, but there was one area in the lounge (which would be empty as all residents in bed) where it always felt "odd" and I would see something out the corner of my eye, or feel like there was someone there but look and see nothing.

DameEnidsOrange Sun 14-Oct-12 20:06:29

Oh and I forgot about the call bells that would ring from empty rooms.

And the shadowy figure that would appear on the (sadly non-recording) CCTV in the doorway.

And the tap-tap-tap of a walking frame coming down the main corridor.

Juule Sun 14-Oct-12 20:15:00

I've posted this link before.
Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Vic Tandy on Ghosts and Infrasound

As I think a pp has said, there might be reasons for seeing things and odd feelings which would be more likely than a ghost being present.

GreeenFingers Sun 14-Oct-12 20:20:05

I'm not after a debate, just asking if anyone else has had a similar experience. The last time I saw a "ghost" was about 25 years ago. Many other visitors to that house told me, later that they had seen things too. But the difference was there were odd smells, noise and cold spot in the house. The cat would never venture into any of the spooky rooms.
What I have recently experienced is very different. It is not unnerving in any way. But; it is very real and I'm a very level headed person.

AnEerieAirOfHorror Sun 14-Oct-12 20:28:49

I think lots of people have had experiances they lable as ghost. Im my family i know four people that have seen 'something'. It ranges from seeing fire doors opening on their own to seeing a man in a hat walk down the stairs in an empty office.

In a house I used to live in I always had a feeling of being watched. My ex felt it too. He even spoke to "it" one night and there were bangs which seemed to be in response.

But the worst part was the burglar alarm. It was never used/set. But it used to go off all the time. Only ever when we were downstairs but the screen used to say where the movement had been sensed, and it always said bedroom. So upstairs. It got so bad the LL had to have it removed as no engineer could find a fault!

MrsjREwing Sun 14-Oct-12 20:40:41

I lived in a house I was very uncomfortable in from the first day, lots of strange things happened there, including seeing things out of the corner of my eye.

expatinscotland Sun 14-Oct-12 20:43:06

What you are seeing is more than likely a playback, a bit like a tape recording, of an event that occured there.

Very rarely is it an actual spirit.

GreeenFingers Mon 15-Oct-12 12:58:18

Reading this wonder if Crikey has been dabbling in the "spirits" herself.

CrikeyOHare Mon 15-Oct-12 13:38:02

Greenfingers Kindly grow up. There's absolutely no need for infantile and unpleasant remarks like that.

Guess what? One quite possible "explanation" for all these spooky, woo woo things that keep happening is that you're imagining or misinterpreting stuff. In fact, that is in the order of several billion times more likely than that the spirits of dead children are creeping around the corridors of a school, FFS.

"I don't want a debate" - (aka I just want other people who believe nonsense to come along and agree with me).

I shall post whatever I like on whatever thread I like, thank you very much.

(Oh, and the Bible may have talked about ghosts - but it also talked about dragons, unicorns, talking snakes & men living in fishes hmm).

expatinscotland Mon 15-Oct-12 14:52:13

It's not spirits. It's rarely spirits. It is a playback of events that occurred in the location. Leftover energy.

The supernatural is only the natural which hasn't yet been explained. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Yes, you can post what you like on this forum, and people can ignore if it they chose.

chiachiarra Mon 15-Oct-12 15:05:32

Oh the shop I work in is like that. I see things on the cameras and there's no one there, and the lights go on and off. It doesn't feel scary though.

AnEerieAirOfHorror Mon 15-Oct-12 17:42:54

Ohare on the ''One Show" for april fool they did a bit about growing a unicorn. I was so excited and i was totally fooled blush i was very gutted when i found out it was a prank lol

I like to think of myself as an optamist and not a fool but sometimes there is a thin line between them.

What does it matter to you what others believe? Untill you disprove they are ghost your view has no weight at all.

Its called faith because you cant prove or disprove it so people form their own believe based on their own oppioin.

GF why not debate if ghost are real or if there is something else going on.

Why is it so important to you that you are seeing ghosts?

GreeenFingers Tue 16-Oct-12 20:52:31

Ok folks, now please may I ask that those who want to bang on about there being no such things as ghosts ,to please refrain from making comments. If I were say Jewish ,would you say your religion iis based on fantacy?
WEll tonight as I went about my cleaning job , I was too busy to think about what I'd written on my post. We were one man( or woman)down, so our schedule was pretty tight.
Nothing "odd" happened, 'till I'd just finished mopping the loos, and as I'd placed the " caution wet floor" sign outside the loos, I was met by a very strange sight. I'm not kisdding you, it was a "vision" of a lad of about twelve wearing red and blue clothes. It was very real, I uttered " I'm not imagining things, am I ?". Moments later a teacher marched past me with a " Gooodnight Lisa" She never ,ever leaves early.I observed that she'd left a raft of paperwork on her desk, and she's a super tidy freak.
Soke o the peson who used to celan my area, and she said;" It's a bit unnerving there isn't it?. I said nothing

So you think the teacher left because she saw the boy too?

CoteDAzur Tue 16-Oct-12 20:59:38

"Some people even consider sicence a religion."

Yes, fools.

CoteDAzur Tue 16-Oct-12 21:04:07

"Thre was no " aura" or chill in the air that you sometimes associate with ghostly activity"

Who is "you"?

Most of us have never thought of any such "association".

MoreBeta Tue 16-Oct-12 21:10:09

GreenFingers - is it possible that you are so used to seeing children in and around the building that your brain still registers fleeting imprints of children passing a doorway when you are in a particular room as that is a scene you have seen literally thousands of times?

GreeenFingers Tue 16-Oct-12 21:23:17

The teacher, is very dedicated, but i'm cerain somethimg spooked her out. I only muttered under my breath, and wasn;t aware she was even there to be honest.There was no chill, aura, nothing. The school is is situated on the grounds of an ancient coaching house.
What I saw, for perhaps 2 seconds, was a child, a boy of about 11 to 13 in red and blue clothes.The "thing " just vanished into thin air.
There is nothing remotely spooky about the place. However ,I did see a boy.
I have seen apparitions before at different locations, but that was 2decades ago

AnEerieAirOfHorror Wed 17-Oct-12 14:57:40

next time take a photo. You believe in ghosts and you are not scared of them so next time remeber to take a photo please.

AnEerieAirOfHorror Wed 17-Oct-12 15:15:44

Green are you going to work on Halloween?

If so i would really recommened taking a camra with you. If you are alone can you try talking out loud to the children and explain about the camra and take a few pictures?

I would be really intrested to see what you capture. I have only ever seen one Ghost and it was late at night and just a gray shadow but my mum has seen lots and as a child i remeber going round a castle and she pointed out a man in funny clothes but we thought they were actors. When i was in my late teens she told me there were no actors and it was a ghost.

My mum said you can tell by a smell that a ghost is there or if the hairs on the back of her neck standup. In there house we have had the radio turned on at 1am but the radio has no timer on. There has been knocking on the window with noone there and my grandmother that died shouting our names. There was a few lights floating around my room as well but im not sure if they were orbs or something else.

My mum turly believes she is seeing and hearing ghosts.

Another story is when she was in hospital after having my older brother and one night hearing someone push a trolly on the floor above but it was so loud it wake her up and it broke the lightshade. After the second night my mum complained to the midwife that they were noisy and kept her awake. The midwife said that was impossable as the next floor was closed off and all the doors were locked and it was deralicked. Noone else heared anything but the midwife had to clean up the broken glass.

IndigoBarbie Thu 18-Oct-12 20:57:12

Hi Green, I am sure you are sensing entities etc - but are you really wishing to investigate and gather evidence of such? or just wanting a chat about things?
How does it make you feel when you are sensing the energies?

MrsMymble Wed 24-Oct-12 13:20:37

AnEerie I saw lights floating in my ex-boyfriends bedroom years ago. Unbeknownst to us some people that came for a party the previous weekend had been playing with a ouija board upstairs. I just woke up in the night to see what I can only describe as being like little streaks of light moving really quickly. Was that anything like what you saw? There was also a feeling of 'fullness' in the room, like there was a crowd of people around us. My then BF didn't experience that but he did hear loud banging from the hall, so much so that he went downstairs with a baseball bat only to find nobody there! We only found out about the ouija board incident after we told his housemates - nothing had happened there before. I went mental at them as I was quite frightened at the time.

Pennylayne Thu 25-Oct-12 11:27:29

Well this is my first post on Mumsnet and I came to this section looking for some interesting chat and I think I found it.

It's really interesting that you are seeing fleeting glimpses of children Greenfingers and my feeling is that what you are experiencing is not ghostly as such. I think it is the 'residual' energy of the children who presently attend and have attended the school in the past.
When they all leave to go home some of the energy they generate stays in the area and if you are the type of person who is sensitive to it you pick up sounds, feelings and sometimes visual clues. I think it does depend on the person and also the frame of mind of the person. Some people would not pick up on it.

That's my thoughts on what's going on and I think that this thread is the right place to talk about things like this. There is nothing to say that posts must be about Christianity or that you shouldn't believe in an alternative after life.

garlicbaguette Mon 29-Oct-12 00:08:33

Well, OP, you asked if anyone had experienced anything similar. I have. Still do, in bursts of frequency something less than a year apart I suppose and, additionally, in places of great spiritual interest.

I'm not going to say what I think you're hoping for, though. I have an anxiety disorder. My mind performs little tricks to keep me anxious. In places of 'great spiritual interest', you can often find architectural structures that were actually intended to form echo chambers, light wells and shadow play.

You also tend to find, these days, combinations of damp and old wiring causing 'feelings' and equipment such as pumps, generators and air conditioners emitting low-frequency sound. Sub-acoustic frequencies that happen to bounce off the walls of a space the same width as the sound wave length set up a jarring effect that you can't hear but does actually make things move; you feel it and stuff may visibly vibrate, fall off shelves, etc. It can also cause visions as your retina partially detaches with the vibration!

Obviously schools feature a fair amount of equipment and plenty of different-sized spaces, meaning the chances that one or two areas could reflect a low-frequency sound wavelength are quite good.

So, what AnEerieAirOfHorror said smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now