Daily Gratitudes

(969 Posts)
crescentmoon Wed 19-Sep-12 21:51:54

i was listening to Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No..." here or better one and i got to thinking about gratitude. apparently regular grateful thinking can increase happiness by as much as 25 percent just by wanting what one actually has. so i hope maybe that we can regularly write about the things that go well for us each day, no matter how little they are. from any faith and no faith too.

il start by saying over the past few days im grateful that...

1. its the middle of september and ds1 hasnt had to use his blue inhaler once
2. id worried that dd wouldnt like her new school but shes settled in very quickly
3. the sun shone brightly so i went exploring around my local high street
4. i have learnt how to make chai tea for myself now
5. the house is cosy and warm

stressedHEmum Mon 14-Oct-13 10:15:21

Eid Mubarak, crescent. I am jealous. I would love to have henna done - the patterns are so beautiful. Not jealous of the threading, though - waxing hurts enough, I too scared to try threadingblush.

Annunziata, Messy Church is a new way to do church for families. it is quite informal and involves games, very modern songs (ours have lots of actions), a short, informal bible talk ( about 10 minutes long), a lot of different crafts and then a simple family meal that we all eat together. The sessions are based around a theme. Ours was Who is God and was all about seeing God in creation.

The crafts that we had were -
a sunburst collage
a starry night chalk picture with glitter, gems and the like
pictures made from beans. lentils, seeds etc.
starry bead jewelry
watercolour flower paintings
paint spinning - they kind of looked like those pictures that you see of super novae and gas clouds in space
decorate your own star shaped clappers

As I say, we didn't have many children, but the ones who came can't wait for the next one. The parents all loved it, too. It's a way of spreading the Gospel that doesn't intimidate unchurched people. Another way of planting little seeds in hearts and minds.

Today I am grateful

for waking up to sunshine
for a time of peace and quiet before the kids are up and about
for bread and jam
for friends and family
that Dh was able to fix the cooker yesterday - I thought that it was dead

crescentmoon Mon 14-Oct-13 12:17:37

Eid Mubarak to you too dear stressed. the patterns are lovely if you go to a professional, i have henna at home dd is begging me to apply but i wont bother as im very cack handed and it takes alot of skill! i used to hate threading but my hair doesnt grow back for ages afterward so now whilst my eyes tear all the way through, and i always sneeze at least a dozen times when it comes to my upper lip, i bear it!

gratitudes

that i have my own money for when my friends are in need - i dont have to involve or ask dh,
my DB for helping me out,
that i can eat good healthy nutritious food and feed that to my children,
for the innate goodness in people,

stressedHEmum Tue 15-Oct-13 12:45:16

more sunshine - i can't believe that it is the middle of October, I don't even have the heating on yet
a warm bed
fit, healthy children
small furry pets
the beauty of an autumn day
cuddles
healthcare
freedom

Salbertina Tue 15-Oct-13 12:46:07

Eid Mubarak to Crescent and everyone, may you have a wonderful celebration!

Am a real convert to threading but never tried on self. Admire that you can, Crescent, esp on eyebrows! Any tips please?

Am grateful for a little more school support for dc, to see two lovely friends get engaged as they evidently adore each other, home project moving forward.

Namaste.

crescentmoon Wed 16-Oct-13 11:27:30

i am very happy to see you back salbertina! really hope that you have been well. as for threading iv no idea how to do it for myself but i went to a grooming and pampering event where i got everything done whilst dc went out with their dad sunday. i dont know how they do it either but though i have a very low pain threshold iv started going for threading regularly! glad aboput your dc's school i hope that continues and that cooperation increases too.

gratitudes

dc were well behaved most of yesterday for Eid,
catching an absolutely beautiful sunrise from the windows of our small suburban 3 bed semi this morning,
delicious food cooked by others!
cuddles,
healthcare - the reassurance of the NHS behind us,
a lovely warm bed

ChristmasPixie123 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:41:52

I'm grateful for:
- My Hubby & DD } Because they mean everything to me
- Good health
- Nice food
- Warm bed
- Enough money to pay bills
- Love & Support I have off family

stressedHEmum Thu 17-Oct-13 09:55:51

Crescent, I'm so glad that you had a joyful Eid and that the kids were well behaved. Sometimes when they are small, the excitement is all too much for them. How are you feeling, now? Remember to get plenty of rest and to look after yourself.

Salbertina, it's lovely to see you again. I hope all is well with you. Such happy newsgrin May your friends always be a blessing to each other and to those around them.

Pixie, welcome. it's great to see a new face!

Today, I am grateful

for the kindness of strangers
for food, water, safety and shelter
that my children have easy access to vaccinations and healthcare to keep them well
that food bank continues to help those in desperate need
that I can read, write and count
that God never gets fed up of listening to my prayers

Annunziata Thu 17-Oct-13 19:25:17

That sounds really fabulous stressed, and so does Crescent's eid, and hello to everyone else!

grateful for
a warm house
good food
sisters

stressedHEmum Fri 18-Oct-13 10:19:16

It's a great thing, Annunziata. I've been trying to convince my Session to have a go at it for a couple of years as a way of reaching out to the community. we had a big publicity fail, hence the low numbers, but a fab time was had by all and hopefully, next time numbers will be bigger. It's not the quantity but the quality that countsgrin

gratitudes -
shelter from the rain
warm jumpers and fluffy socks
technology
disaster relief agencies
food, water, shelter and safety
friends and family

crescentmoon Fri 18-Oct-13 10:56:09

welcome pixie, hope you get a chance to post again today! il copy a gratitude from each of the last few posts as theyve reminded me to count even more blessings:

gratitudes

enough money to pay bills,
that i dont need to go to a food bank or soup kitchen,
my sisters - though they can be a bit rough with their advice sometimes,
DH for agreeing to something that will really pus him out of his comfort zone just for my sake,
my parents

ChristmasPixie123 Fri 18-Oct-13 13:34:22

I've recently found out that a friend of mine has taken his own life. So today I'm grateful for my own life and that of my families. I'm also grateful of the happiness and support I have in my life.

Annunziata Fri 18-Oct-13 16:07:45

Oh pixie, I am so very sorry. You must have got a terrible shock. I hope your friend is at peace now.

I will also be grateful for my life today.

stressedHEmum Fri 18-Oct-13 18:39:19

Pixie, I am so very, very sorry. I hope that your friend has found peace and that you have the support that you need. I have said a prayer for you and all who knew and loved your friend.

I will be grateful for my life and for the lives of those I know and love today.

ChristmasPixie123 Fri 18-Oct-13 18:44:32

Thanks sad I am coming to terms with things, it was a shock and I also hope he finds peace.

crescentmoon Fri 18-Oct-13 19:13:18

pixie I too am very sorry for your loss. I was recently floored by the suicide of a close family friend. We'd grown up together and it was completely out of the blue and had everyone including me reeling. It also makes me grateful for the support I get from others and also try to be more of a support to the younger people in my family.

Annunziata Sat 19-Oct-13 21:14:39

I am grateful today for my wonderful wonderful MIL.

crescentmoon Sun 20-Oct-13 19:33:32

gratitudes this weekend:

a lovely quiet day to myself,
delicious yummy food sent over,
eid cakes and biscuits still coming,
a working washing machine - the rattling was because of a toy car thank God!
my lovely new paperback, iv recently got a kindle but i still love holding and turning the pages of a book!

stressedHEmum Mon 21-Oct-13 09:57:52

gratitudes

a break in the rain
having a pharmacy nearby - the kids all have heavy colds
food, water, safety and shelter
family and friends
music and having a tolerable singing voice

crescentmoon Tue 22-Oct-13 06:48:39

Gratitudes

Tumble drier,
Central Heating,
Grateful for milk,
Grateful for bananas

stressedHEmum Tue 22-Oct-13 10:44:12

grateful for

tea and toast
direct care prescriptions for snotty kids
being able to help someone who came to foodbank this morning at the wrong time - it's a good job I live very close
good friends
warm bed
simple pleasures

crescentmoon Wed 23-Oct-13 16:22:09

gratitudes

house is sorted,
dc are happy,
hospital bag finally packed,
all laundry done,
just counting down the last 2 weeks!

myroomisatip Thu 24-Oct-13 22:38:37

Tonight I am grateful for: (not in any particular order smile)

MN smile
my health,
what wealth I have
my lovely daughter
a roof over my head
my friends
my freedom
having the bed to myself
my cats
being able to get up tomorrow and do whatever I like!
being able to watch whatever I want on tv without constant interruptions, criticism and abuse.

I appreciate that I live in a country where I can be myself.

Annunziata Fri 25-Oct-13 15:02:52

gratitudes:
good friends
love
food

stressedHEmum Fri 25-Oct-13 19:29:33

gratitudes:
was able to help a man, today, who had had nothing to eat but a packet of digestive biscuits for a week.
friends
family
warmth
rest
skill with my hands.

Annunziata Fri 25-Oct-13 21:19:17

stressed that is truly truly awful, in such a rich country. Poor man. You are doing such a wonderful job flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now