Daily Gratitudes

(969 Posts)
crescentmoon Wed 19-Sep-12 21:51:54

i was listening to Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No..." here or better one and i got to thinking about gratitude. apparently regular grateful thinking can increase happiness by as much as 25 percent just by wanting what one actually has. so i hope maybe that we can regularly write about the things that go well for us each day, no matter how little they are. from any faith and no faith too.

il start by saying over the past few days im grateful that...

1. its the middle of september and ds1 hasnt had to use his blue inhaler once
2. id worried that dd wouldnt like her new school but shes settled in very quickly
3. the sun shone brightly so i went exploring around my local high street
4. i have learnt how to make chai tea for myself now
5. the house is cosy and warm

crescentmoon Fri 27-Sep-13 16:52:21

dear susana very glad to have you on the thread and hope to see more of your posts soon!

salbertina, stressed, after months of feeling abit low i suddenly have loads of energy going into the final stretch and i think tis because iv finally taken my anaemia seriously! midwife scared me that if i got breathless so quickly from just stooping to pick something up then i would probably have a very long protracted labour with little energy - so iv been taking my iron tablets properly! now im just hoping and praying everything goes well. annunziata very glad to see you again, hope flatfoot, mama, poledra, mrs, juggling etc are well and able to post soon.

gratitudes

lovely week so far, hopefully it will end soon also,
my washing machine is now working so i dont have to call estate agents,
saw a lovely property for rent, we're now considering whether to exchange area for size or just stay put until after xmas,
family already asking to have dc for half term holidays so im already counting down the days until then!

salbertina how on earth do you get to listen to radio 4 abroad? when i lived abroad i couldnt watch or hear anything from the bbc it really frustrated me!

stressed so happy about ds2 is settling into start uni properly next week, happy to hear about your elderly neighbour, they are lucky to have you.

Salbertina Fri 27-Sep-13 17:18:08

Ciao again everyone!

Glad your iron tablets are working, Crescent, but rest up too! And good luck with the house hunt. Radio theoretically easy via Internet (tune -in radio) but often, often cuts out so I tend to download podcasts to listen to later, and all for free grin BBC especially good. Brings me daily joy, i tell you! I was the same last as you the last time i was overseas before such newfangled things - had to make do with the v occasional dog-eared paper from the plane the rare time we had a visitor. Technology and globalisation for you!

crescentmoon Sat 28-Sep-13 08:30:09

3 am this morning I was exploring podcasts- read u mentioning them but not realised what was on offer. Very true to be grateful for technology!

Saw a great short video about how expressing gratitude directly increases happiness- really lovely experiment hope you all get to watch!!

http://www.upworthy.com/scientists-discover-one-of-the-greatest-contributing-factors-to-happiness-youll-thank-me

Gratitudes

For the way women can help and support each other,
That DH has now taken over bedtime the last few days,
Cadburys chocolate fingers,
Open hospitality- I feel grateful I live in a community that lives that ideal,
For Healthy children- not as robust as DH and I but annunziata you have me hope that this phase of catching colds quickly might end when they're older!

crescentmoon Sat 28-Sep-13 08:30:52
Salbertina Sat 28-Sep-13 08:58:57

Morning!

Thanks, Crescent for the link, shall enjoy watching that. What gets you up at 3am? Baby kicking, insomnia? Hope you manage to make up for it later.

Anyone else like TED talks? Mainly video now but some audio- a huge variety and some excellent ones on spirituality/religion/morality/mindfulness etc:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/iTunesPodcastTTSocietyCulture

Today am grateful it's the weekend for everyone, that dc may have a (rare) play date and time/focus for me to work.

Annunziata Sat 28-Sep-13 21:05:48

I am very grateful today:
for sunshine
for being able to walk
and just for being so happy!

crescentmoon Sun 29-Sep-13 08:01:41

Gratitudes:

1.Discovering radio 4's 'in our time' yday- fab show salbertina such interesting topics I'm glad u mentioned it!
2.That I finally managed to clear out so many toys books and clothes we no longer need!
3.ordering in a yummy late night takeaway with DH after kids went to bed!
4.being able to walk,
5.having a close family

Early hours waking is special to me as that's almost the only time I get to read books or online away from busy family life salbertina.

stressedHEmum Mon 30-Sep-13 10:33:52

Hope everyone is well. Crescent, make sure that you are getting plenty of rest. It's lovely that your family are keen to help out by having your kids, what a wonderful blessing.

gratitudes -

sunshine and dry washing
my church family
prayer
freedom to worship
food, water, shelter and safety
family and friends
elderly friend still defying the odds and hanging on.
this special time of harvest - God is indeed good.

crescentmoon Tue 01-Oct-13 14:45:01

hello dear stressed really hope all is well for you these days....

gratitudes

that DH was in the room,
that ds2 had the sense to move quickly away,
that only part of the carpet got singed,
that our house is still standing,
that we can laugh about it today

stressedHEmum Wed 02-Oct-13 09:04:20

Am really, really struggling just now, crescent. I'm sore from the rots of my hair to the tips of my toessad so, remembering how blessed I am is important at the moment, otherwise I think that I would just curl up in a ball and hide!

Hope everyone survived your fire scare - DS3 has a habit of setting fire the toast under the grill, we've had a few narrow escapes as well, i can tell yousmile

gratitudes

this thread for making me see the positives
that crescent's fire scare wasn't worse and that no one was hurt
that I've pledged something to the MN Christmas appeal again. Giving even quite a small gift to make someone happy is such a wonderful thing
a time of quiet reflection
family and friends
food, water, shelter and safety
a warm bed
free access to healthcare
painkillers (even when they don't work, at least I feel like I'm doing something)
my kindle

crescentmoon Wed 02-Oct-13 17:24:54

im so sorry to hear that stressed, id hoped that your new medication regime would have been an improvement for you. i cant imagine being in that type of soreness and pain everywhere, i really wish and pray that things get better for you my friend. to still remember one's blessings even during that is so inspiring, i hope that your DH and DC are helping you through this by enabling you to rest more. the fire scare was very scary - in the moment you dont know what to do or think but afterwards all i could think of was 'thank God it was our carpet not the landlords!'.

gratitudes

for my friend stressed and how im always reminded to be thankful by her posts,
beautiful sky,
lovely friends offering to take dc to school for me,
ds2's lovely nursery,
that im nearly done with my massive clearout and house is looking much less cluttered,
shelter, safety on the road,
people who smile and people who smile back

Annunziata Thu 03-Oct-13 22:23:26

Stressed I will also say a prayer for you, that sounds terribly hard.

Take care of yourself too, crescent, how long have you to go?

gratitudes:
home and family

crescentmoon Fri 04-Oct-13 07:29:33

Hello annunziata how is your baby enjoying new teeth? and how are your older children? Hope everyone is well! I'm doing well feeling strong and just trying to get a million things done before new LO comes on the scene!

Gratitudes:
Health,
Strength in my back,
strength in my limbs,
Healthy lively happy children,
DH and DM

stressedHEmum Fri 04-Oct-13 10:06:17

Thanks, guys. I'm fine, really. you kind of get used to it and it's partially self inflicted. I'm not very good at pacing or at saying no - so I end up doing things that I shouldn't and then paying the price. The worst thing is being so limited in what I can do. I can only do a tiny percentage of the things that I took for granted 3 years ago - stupid stuff like hanging out the washing means that I can't hoover, going to church puts me in bed for hours, that sort of thing. However, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

How is everyone. Any more new teeth, Annunziata?

Today, I am grateful
for friends and family
for shelter from the rain
for small furry pets
for hot running water
for healthcare
for frozen pizza for the kids' teablush

Annunziata Fri 04-Oct-13 21:18:24

They're all doing well, thank you flowers No new teeth, but she really loves food, bless her. She gets so excited!

The big ones are all happy at school and uni, I am very grateful for that.

crescentmoon Sat 05-Oct-13 09:06:06

gratitudes:

for a lovely lie in this morning,
a delicious ripe banana for breakfast,
for ds1, dd, and ds2,
good friends,

annunziata glad to hear theyre doing well. must be a very big age gap between the one at uni and the one teething thats lovely! i thought with my third dc at nursery i was done and dusted with the baby stage but unexpected things happen....

Annunziata Sat 05-Oct-13 21:30:12

Yes, 23 years between oldest and youngest. It is strange because I was only 20 when I had my first! But it's lovely. She is so spoiled!

grateful for family recipes, food and love.

crescentmoon Sun 06-Oct-13 11:40:03

23 years? thats so lovely annunziata. i bet she'll be the darling of the family forever!

stressed i relly hope your taking it easy this weekend - please pace yourself, delegate, im not going to tell you to stop your faith community activities as thats the core of who you are. but please please take care of yourself first, you owe your body that.

gratitudes:

life,
health,

stressedHEmum Wed 09-Oct-13 17:53:03

sunshine
sleep
painkillers
friends
prayer
food, water, shelter, safety
children who are content with frozen pizza for tea

crescentmoon Fri 11-Oct-13 10:24:13

my kids love frozen pizza for tea stressed, its lentils and kidney beans and broccoli i struggle to get down them!

gratitudes:

shelter,
heating,
food,
walking,
family

Annunziata Sat 12-Oct-13 11:41:04

Our thread is quiet this week, I hope everyone is as well as possible.

Gratitudes:
a warm house
warm clothes
funny dc
kisses

stressedHEmum Sun 13-Oct-13 20:06:20

Crescent, I think mine are secretly heaving a sigh of relief at a break from beans, lentils and broccoli smile It's just me feeling guilty that I've not been up to cooking proper meals for the last couple of weeks.

Hope everyone is well and that we all get a chance tp post some more this week.

gratitudes

Messy Church went well, even though we only had a small number of folk
kids are healthy
DH had a rare day off on Saturday
I feel a wee bit better so, hopefully, I am starting to come out the other side of this crash
food, water, shelter, safety

crescentmoon Sun 13-Oct-13 20:46:18

annunziata stressed I really hope you are both well this week and that poledra, salbertina and ALL previous and New posters join in next week. It has been very quiet- lets renew intentions to post daily!

Gratitudes

For DH taking the dc out all day today to make up for not being with them this Eid,
they had a wonderful day together,
getting my henna, waxing, threading, hair and clothes sorted for Eid on Tuesday-normally all last minute!
Grateful for DB, DPs and DPIL,
Our boiler is finally working properly and more importantly- I now know how to work out its little 'quirks'!

Annunziata Sun 13-Oct-13 20:59:00

What is Messy Church, stressed? I am glad you are on the up!

DD's best friend is Muslim, crescent, DD has been invited over to hers for henna! Sorry your DH won't be there. It sounds such fun. Eid mubarek (and I'm sorry if I spell that wrong!)

Gratitudes:
love
music

crescentmoon Sun 13-Oct-13 21:30:50

Eid mubarek to you too thanks so much annunziata, dd wanted to go with her brothers and dad out today rather than get henna done with me but when she got home and saw mine she was really regretful! i really hope your dd enjoys it with her best friend, getting henna done is a big tradition across many muslim cultures the night before Eid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now