Daily Gratitudes

(969 Posts)
crescentmoon Wed 19-Sep-12 21:51:54

i was listening to Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No..." here or better one and i got to thinking about gratitude. apparently regular grateful thinking can increase happiness by as much as 25 percent just by wanting what one actually has. so i hope maybe that we can regularly write about the things that go well for us each day, no matter how little they are. from any faith and no faith too.

il start by saying over the past few days im grateful that...

1. its the middle of september and ds1 hasnt had to use his blue inhaler once
2. id worried that dd wouldnt like her new school but shes settled in very quickly
3. the sun shone brightly so i went exploring around my local high street
4. i have learnt how to make chai tea for myself now
5. the house is cosy and warm

Annunziata Wed 14-Aug-13 15:57:35

It means hello to everyone!

First day of school here in Scotland, I am grateful for the chances our children have here.

stressedHEmum Thu 15-Aug-13 10:37:31

Kids here don't start back till Monday, Annunziata. Today and tomorrow are in service days. Mine will restart on Monday as well, I think, provided I have adjusted to the new meds by then.

Hope everyone else is well and gets time to post.

that the weather has been lovely for almost the whole of the holidays
for peace and quiet - DH has taken DS3 and 4 to the pictures and DD is spending a few days with my parents. The house is so quiet!
for music
for food, water, shelter and safety
for friends
for the hot bath that I am about to go for.

Annunziata Sat 17-Aug-13 21:15:14

That's quite a difference stressed, it's funny how every area is different! I hope your meds settle down and you enjoy your last weekend of summer!

grateful for: family
hot meals
a little quiet at the end of every day

crescentmoon Sat 17-Aug-13 21:39:19

Hello annunziata!

Haven't really felt much to be grateful for this week, quite meh actually. But still bright spots in amongst all the bleak news:

I heard some really heartening news about A good friend this evening, I'm so happy for her,
Spending quality time with DH,
Happy family day,
Parents are well,

MrsRBrand Mon 19-Aug-13 08:41:26

My DP was so lovely yesterday when I was very depressed
I have been given a free ticket to a music festival
My lodger is lovely
I live somewhere beautiful
I have a support network

stressedHEmum Mon 19-Aug-13 09:17:53

Hello, MrsR. I hope that you feel a bit better today. The nice weather always helps to lift your mood, doesn't it? if only it could be sunny every day.

Crescent, I hope your OK.

Annunziata, yes, it's a bit weird. Even the next LA to us, just up the road, starts back on a different day. I sometimes think that the school holidays should be uniform across the country, just to avoid confusion because we have different weeks off in October etc. as well. Makes it a bit harder, sometimes, to arrange things.

Today, I am grateful,

for church and all that it brings me
for good friends
that Dh has a job (2 friends have just been made redundant)
for faith and prayer
for food, water, shelter and safety
for freedom
for all the gifts and talents that God has given me to use.

MrsRBrand Mon 19-Aug-13 09:34:02

Thank you stressed A bit better thanks and thanks for reminding me about spirituality

crescentmoon Mon 19-Aug-13 17:30:11

very happy to welcome you mrsrbrand, and happy that you have your dh and others as a support network around you. hope you feel more improving this afternoon.

my health,
my life circumstances,
i live in a time and place where all the big battles have already been fought and won,
my children are alive, they are well, they are close to me

MrsRBrand Mon 19-Aug-13 18:25:11

Thank you smile

The children I nanny for are so inspiringly lovely
The Lily's by my bed which smell gorgeous.
My neighbour who helped me set up my vege plot
My mum and dad.
A psychotherapist today, pointed me in the direction of therapists who volunteer and work with people for free.

stressedHEmum Wed 21-Aug-13 09:30:12

stable democracy and the rule of law
new volunteer at food bank
side effects seem to be settling down a wee bit
faith in the face of small difficulties
healthy children
food, water, shelter and safety

MrsRBrand Wed 21-Aug-13 10:56:58

Depression has lifted a little today
DP was so understanding and kind yesterday when I told him what's going on for me
I had a good nights sleep last night
I can sit at the Buddhist centre any time and meditate as I did this morning in a pool of light

Salbertina Wed 21-Aug-13 12:18:29

Morning all, good to catch up with everyone's gratitudes. Had been trying to wean myself off mn rather, found not good for my mh compared to rl interaction, except this thread, of course!

Mrs RB, your Buddhist centre sounds lovely and peaceful. Am a sort of Buddhist myself at least in philosophy of life and principles to adhere to - aversion/grasping rather than sin makes more sense for me. But appreciate we all have our own perspectives on here.

Anyway, today am grateful for kindness of 2 complete strangers re my SN dc as been rather despairing.
Dc2 has different less radical health option which may help him. Heat & warmth and the comfort they bring.

crescentmoon Wed 21-Aug-13 15:09:23

salbertina i just saw you posted. very happy to see you back its been awhile. yes this thread is great for MH, at least post here if nowhere else!

mrsbrand i really hope your feeling better and im so glad your DP is supportive and understanding.

stressed stable democracy and the rule of law is definitely a big gratitude of mine - whatever our british system's flaws you dont realise how precious it is until you look further and see how chaos can take hold.

DH is taking dc off to family for a week so im getting two breaks this summer holiday!
employers said theyll hold my job open for me if i want to come back after having the baby. they didnt have to as iv only been there a short time
security, im grateful i dont have to compromise myself or values for that security

Annunziata Wed 21-Aug-13 22:30:23

Glad everyone is well flowers

Today I am grateful for our jobs and home.

MrsRBrand Thu 22-Aug-13 08:36:13

Salbertina, I'm glad you've had some kindness re your SN dc, I know it can be very isolating, heart warming to read about the kindness of strangers..
Crescentmoon that's great that your DP is taking the children away so you can rest during your pregnancy, I hope you enjoy it.

Today I am grateful for the day off to focus on getting better

I feel better than yesterday

My sister who really understands our childhood and reminded me that I'm a gentle person and need to afford myself the same gentleness.

My dad who is in the lakes caring for my grandmother with cancer

The book; I'm okay you're okay. Helping me to understand my inner workings

Salbertina Thu 22-Aug-13 09:05:59

Oh MrsR! We have a lot in common! That is one of my go-to books, transactional analysis is very powerful stuff. Simple but not easy and filled in a lot of gaps for me. Applying it consistently an ongoing challenge.

Salbertina Thu 22-Aug-13 09:11:22

Posted in haste with more to say!

MrsR - am glad you have the opportunity to rest and recover today. How's meditation going for you? Sorry to gear about your grandma : (

Crescent- thanks for the warm welcome back, been thinking of you and wishing you well.

Today, I'm grateful for slightly better communication with dh, that we can )just!) afford the help dc1 needs - makes me VERY grateful for all we had for free in UK

Rain has stopped and wind has died down.

May you all have a peaceful day smile

Salbertina Thu 22-Aug-13 09:22:56

And Crescent, salaam - rest up and enjoy that break. How are you feeling? Hope (belated, i know) that you had a lovely Eid. Must be easier now you're not fasting?

crescentmoon Thu 22-Aug-13 11:50:55

namaste dear salbertina! im so happy to see you posted again today, really did miss you on this thread please dont disappear off again! im good, eid was ... good... i didnt fast many days in the end but the kids going off to my parents for a week during ramadan helped me alot. likewise theyre going off to relatives again this week so im happy!

mrsbrand im very sorry that your grandmother is ill with cancer, how good that she has family around her during this difficult time. please be kind to yourself, some people are brought down by their nearest and dearest its great that your sister is there in a supportive role too.

hope you get a chance to post today annunziata and stressed,

a halal income for DH and myself,
that my children are alive and safe,

Annunziata Thu 22-Aug-13 20:39:14

I am grateful for the lovely weather we have had today

Salbertina Fri 23-Aug-13 09:03:41

<guilty mother emotcion> frankly am glad we managed to get dc1 to school today, i couldn't have coped with much longer with him hmm
For dc2 and his easy affection
For sunshine
For the comfort religion can bring to so many especially those suffering in some way.
For my uniquely lovely MIL and her boundless enthusiasm and zest for life.
May we all have a peaceful day including my dc1.

stressedHEmum Fri 23-Aug-13 11:44:36

Don't feel guilty, Salbertina, you just need a break. There are days when my dearest wish is that I could send DS4 to school, just to get a break from the constant battles, but I know deep down that he couldn't cope with it. I thought that maybe we could try to get him into the local autism unit, but I don't know what that would be like - I think that it might actually make him worse.

You have nothing to feel bad about - you have to live with an autistic child before you realise how difficult it actually is. May God's peace be with you today and always as you try to do what's best for everyone.

Today, I am grateful -

for another day
for freedom from fear
for this short time when all my children are at home
that DS1 has a decent job lined up
that DS2 is off to uni in a couple of weeks
that the rest of the children are beginning to find their way
for food, water, shelter and safety - the basic things that make life liveable
for education and the gifts that it brings - I can't imagine not being able to read and write or how much more difficult that must make life.

crescentmoon Sat 24-Aug-13 07:17:12

Salam all!

Gratitudes today:

That all things considered, things werent so bad after all getting locked out of my house yday evening.
For lovely people,
For the chance to get involved in a great initiative yday,
My greatest wealth: my health

Salbertina Sat 24-Aug-13 17:21:24

Crescent- hope you're okay? Sounds quite a drama

Stressed- thank you so much fir your kind message, cheered me up and another reminder that I'm not alone. Hope you haven't had too many battles today and pleased to hear about your other dses smile

Today am grateful for the wonders and endurance of nature; for good friends however temporary and for dc2 having a better day.

Annunziata Sat 24-Aug-13 21:25:23

I think being a good mother is knowing that you have bad days, we can't be perfect all of the time.

Today I am grateful for my culture and heritage, it means so much to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now