Daily Gratitudes

(969 Posts)
crescentmoon Wed 19-Sep-12 21:51:54

i was listening to Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No..." here or better one and i got to thinking about gratitude. apparently regular grateful thinking can increase happiness by as much as 25 percent just by wanting what one actually has. so i hope maybe that we can regularly write about the things that go well for us each day, no matter how little they are. from any faith and no faith too.

il start by saying over the past few days im grateful that...

1. its the middle of september and ds1 hasnt had to use his blue inhaler once
2. id worried that dd wouldnt like her new school but shes settled in very quickly
3. the sun shone brightly so i went exploring around my local high street
4. i have learnt how to make chai tea for myself now
5. the house is cosy and warm

Actually camping was interesting gratitudes wise ....

as I settled down for the night on my overly squishy air-bed (alongside dd) with the tent flapping in the wind, and listening to the pitter-patter of rain falling, I was thankful for shelter, and thought of those sheltering with their families in camps in Syria. Also thought of this thread and our habitual good and grounding gratitude for shelter. smile

Was extra thankful too for the cup of tea my DBil brought out to me in the morning.

crescentmoon Tue 25-Jun-13 12:29:00

dear juggling your gratitudes are always so lovely to read. your spirituality really comes through the things that you mention to be thankful for.
iv not had the time to mention your Quakerism but its always been a religious tradition iv had alot of respect for, them and the unitarians for their anti slavery work in the UK and the USA. one of the women who really inspires me in my field is Jocelyn Bell Burnell - who was president of the Institute of Physics last year but is also a Quaker. i watched an interview she had on BBC's Hardtalk and she spoke about the Quaker tradition and how it inspired her to push herself as a woman in a male dominated field she works in.

gratitudes

sunny day,
for kind people, not just nice, but also kind,
DH finishes work early today so can get the dc from school,
DB is doing well in his new place,

I've met Jocelyn and some of her family (though not quite actually spoken to Jocelyn) She seems a very thoughtful person.

Daily gratitudes ...

For a bright, sunny day.
For some interesting job opportunities
For the interesting, rewarding work I've been able to do over the years, including the training and support along the way.
For the time and space I have at the moment to eg. enjoy the wild roses in our garden
To be back home in my own warm, comfy bed (after our camping weekend)!
For the DC's and my family and friends

Salbertina Wed 26-Jun-13 18:31:45

Namaste
Just a quick one today:

am grateful for rainproof ish! shelter, unlike many here; a good chat to a friend earlier; an opportunity for dh; a good time with new friend for dc; the universal support/prayers/extended family around Mandela, may he be at peace and unaware of the media camped outside,

Salbertina Thu 27-Jun-13 19:31:45

Namaste

Am grateful for dc having time w friends/family

A much more engaged day for me too-reaching out to others and vice-versa

crescentmoon Thu 27-Jun-13 19:35:19

sounds great salbertina!

i also got that impression from watching her juggling, she also came across as humble though she had so many achievements to her name. i really hope all those job opportunities come to fruition for you God Willing.

gratitudes

for my children,
for my husband,
for my parents,
my friends,
my neighbours,

Annunziata Thu 27-Jun-13 20:19:40

May I join?

I am grateful for the sunshine today.

Salbertina Thu 27-Jun-13 20:39:14

Yay, a new member grin welcome and glad you had some sun.

Salbertina Sat 29-Jun-13 12:02:42

Morning! Sun & live music outdoors, kids playing happily smile

crescentmoon Sat 29-Jun-13 19:07:42

dear annunziata,

glad you joined in! i really hope you stick around and get to post regularly - if we're lucky maybe even sometime this weekend!

gratitudes

week finished well,
dc's school fair today was fun,
that everyday i can leave my house in security and come home in security,
that i found a driving instructor who can actually go with the hours that I want rather than slotting me in!

Annunziata Sat 29-Jun-13 21:46:21

Thank you so much smile I am very grateful for the welcome!

Today I am grateful for my lovely DD1, who helped me to do the shopping, and DD2, who made lunch.

Good luck with driving!

Salbertina Sun 30-Jun-13 10:28:25

Morning smile

Annunziata- are your kids available for hire? They sound delightful! battling to get mine to load the dishwasher/feed the cat/walk the hound

Crescent- hope the driving's going well.

Today am grateful to Obama for leaving Mandela and family in peace by not visiting his bedside. Fun friends and possibly slightly deepening friendship which doesn't always happen in expat world.
Dh has time off to rest today.
The dog didn't kill the cat (got too close though).

Namaste.

tuffie Sun 30-Jun-13 21:24:32

Back again, sorry not posted for a while. I love reading everyone's gratitudes - it reminds me be grateful for lots of their things too!
Recent gratitudes:
The beauty of our countryside especially at this time of year - let us never take it for granted,
The cheeky blackbird in the garden for making me laugh by sneaking up behind my blind old cat, pinching her food and then hopping off at speed,
That my dd got back safely from Glastonbury with nothing more worrying than severe sleep deprivation,
My lovely friends for being wonderful when my dh has to work away

Salbertina Mon 01-Jul-13 14:15:35

grin at Tuffie's cat! How did dd like Glastonbury- Stones, Rodrigues? R is huge over here!

Today am grateful for some sun & the dog so kids can play outside; for a full fridge of food and for some MN company.

Namaste.

Poledra Mon 01-Jul-13 14:35:15

Afternoon all!
Quick gratitudes:
sunny weekend, watching my DDs clean the garden furniture (translation: squirting each other with the hose whilst pretending to clean the bird poo off the chairs grin)
Good teachers allocated to my DDs for next term
All the exciting things planned for the end of term by their school

tuffie Mon 01-Jul-13 18:21:07

DD loved Glastonbury thanks Salbertina. Very wet and muddy on arrival, and she was desperately trying to stay mud free, but due to oversize wellies, managed after 10 minutes to fall face down into it.
Hope garden furniture is now poo less Poledra.
Today's gratitude:
Wimbledon - love it ! Makes me feel very summery. (And Murray just won!)

Salbertina Tue 02-Jul-13 12:05:41

Morning! Hope everyone's having a lovely peaceful day.

Tuffie- was the usual mudfest then? Am also so pleased Murray won but sadly cant watch from here. Enjoy the tennis!

Hello, Poledra smile - what are your exciting plans, daytrips/holiday?

Today am grateful for the sun again, lovely memories inc from UK having looked through some old photos, kids look so young i now look so old!
and for some interesting hol plans here too.

crescentmoon Wed 03-Jul-13 00:40:23

lovely to see you back tuffie! glad about the teachers for your dds poledra. hope you are well annunziata, juggling, and stressed.

gratitudes so far this week:

we dont have to move house,
i can keep my lovely midwife,
dc can keep their nice school,
DH is relatively certain of career advancement past this christmas,
i can keep working alot closer to due date,
automatic driving lessons are going brilliantly! - after spending thousands over the years on manual lessons i dont know why i wasted my money and time!

namaste dear posters

Earthymama Wed 03-Jul-13 00:50:17

May I join in?
I was part of a group in this section and then got caught up in a real life hard-to-deal-with situation and let it just fade away.
I am very sad about that and would like to begin to concentrate on the positive things in my life again.

I have had a brief read of this thread and hope I won't disrupt you all.smile

My Gratitudes
For my home and my warm bed (I have a cold)
For small people and the joy they bring
For being part of a movement towards change
For my spiritual path
For love

crescentmoon Wed 03-Jul-13 01:02:38

wonderful to have you back earthymama let me be the first to welcome you! you mention spiritual path, i hope we can gain from your perspectives and wisdoms! good night

salaam

Earthymama Wed 03-Jul-13 11:00:44

Crescent moon, I love your name! My daughter is taking her automatic driving test this week. She is amazing, four kids, works, takes no erm, BS from anyone. I am so proud of her.

I am glad you sound so positive x

Salbertina Wed 03-Jul-13 11:23:40

Yes to automatics and morning too! I passed in a manual but never came easy and to be honest why make driving harder than it need be? Not a macho contest! With the Americans on that. Love my automatic car and am much safer driving it. Hope it continues well, Crescent

Lovely to see you Earthmama, glad you're in a place where such a thread has something to offer you.

Today, I'm grateful for friend for dc1 (not always easy), warmish, dry shelter and lots of food for us all. Our nationality and passport- appreciate the relative advantage and independence they bring. Also am grateful for my increasing spiritual awareness- now appreciate the need to fill my "God-shaped hole", just not yet sure how.

Gratitudes today ....

To see DS walking off with DD into his new secondary school (with her arm around his shoulders) That sight encapsulated so many blessings !
(He is on his Y6/Y7 move up day today)

For more people joining or returning to thread - lovely to read all the posts and gratitudes.

For interesting projects for me and the DC - such as they're both off soon on school residentials

For an increasing sense of perspective after a slightly busy, crazy few days.

All will be well x

stressedHEmum Wed 03-Jul-13 17:09:21

Hellogrin How is everyone?

Am shattered so will be quick -

I am grateful

that DS1's graduation went really well. Ceremony was lovely, weather was nice, meal was fab, hotel clean and comfortable, DS1 was handsome and smart in his kilt - a beautiful day.
God gave me the strength and energy to get through it and to travel there and back without too many problems.

Summer Mission is going REALLY, REALLY well. We have about 60 kids every day. All of them are having a ball singing, dancing, crafting and learning about things like Creation, David and Goliath, Daniel in the Lions' Den...

All of the children at Mission have settled well and things are going smoothly

God is giving me the strength and energy to just about cope. Will be off to bed soon, but will manage again in the morning - all things are possible in Christ who strengthens me!

My own kids are coping well without me and are helping out around the house.

DS3 survived another hike at the weekend (50km over a day and a half.)

Earthymama Thu 04-Jul-13 01:35:04

Hi I should be asleep but fired up!!

My Gratitudes

To be with like-minded people working to make this country safe and welcoming to everyone who needs support

For DP's amazing political grasp and how she lives her life and shares her knowledge

For wonderful, caring, political young people in my life

For my deep connection to Earth and Universe through Spirit

For MN helping with my health

Blessed Be xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now