Daily Gratitudes

(969 Posts)
crescentmoon Wed 19-Sep-12 21:51:54

i was listening to Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No..." here or better one and i got to thinking about gratitude. apparently regular grateful thinking can increase happiness by as much as 25 percent just by wanting what one actually has. so i hope maybe that we can regularly write about the things that go well for us each day, no matter how little they are. from any faith and no faith too.

il start by saying over the past few days im grateful that...

1. its the middle of september and ds1 hasnt had to use his blue inhaler once
2. id worried that dd wouldnt like her new school but shes settled in very quickly
3. the sun shone brightly so i went exploring around my local high street
4. i have learnt how to make chai tea for myself now
5. the house is cosy and warm

crescentmoon Wed 26-Sep-12 10:00:36

hello dear demisemiquaver, why not join in? there are lots of benefits to daily gratitude, found a simple list here onzenhabits.net

short copy/paste from the site...

the benefits of daily gratitudes...

Because it reminds you of the positive things in your life. It makes you happy about the people in your life, whether they’re loved ones or just a stranger you met who was kind to you in some ways.
Because it turns bad things into good things. Having problems at work? Be grateful you have work. Be grateful you have challenges, and that life isn’t boring. Be grateful that you can learn from these challenges. Be thankful they make you a stronger person.
Because it reminds you of what’s important. It’s hard to complain about the little things when you give thanks that your children are alive and healthy. It’s hard to get stressed out over paying bills when you are grateful there is a roof over your head.
Because it reminds you to thank others. I’ll talk about this more below, but the simple act of saying “thank you” to someone can make a big difference in that person’s life. Calling them, emailing them, stopping by to say thank you … just taking that minute out of your life to tell them why you are grateful toward them is important to them. People like being appreciated for who they are and what they do. It costs you little, but makes someone else happy. And making someone else happy will make you happy.

Ragwort Wed 26-Sep-12 10:08:13

Just found this lovely thread smile.

crescent - good luck setting up your food bank; it's a wonderful project. I moved about 18 months ago and one of the first things I did was to help et up the new food bank in our town, it was great to be involved in such inspiring work and also a lovely opportunity to make like minded friends.

This weekend we are spending the whole day in a local supermarket, hopefully collecting lots of donations from shoppers.

I am so grateful for good friends, a comfortable home, my son enjoying school more ......... and my headaches clearing after two whole weeks !

crescentmoon Wed 26-Sep-12 11:23:56

i am sorry stressedHEmum that your ME was bad yesterday, i had to look it up as i didnt know about the condition. I hope you are better today.

today i am grateful that...

1) i tried a new very simple dinner last night - just pasta, philadelphia cheese, tuna and tomato sauce - and DH and the kids loved it.
2) discovered you can buy crispy onions. so now along with minced ginger and minced garlic, cooking is no longer the chore it used to be!
3) i got some great news about one of my relatives this morning - i couldnt stop jumping and laughing through the conversation.
4) everyday i spend with my children i marvel at how my mother managed to bring me up so lovingly for so many years. i cant pay her back but i can pay it forward to the next generation.

crescentmoon Wed 26-Sep-12 11:32:28

no its stressedHEmum thats setting up a food bank, im going to try and get involved in a local one here!

i have cooked for the homeless before, wrapped sandwiches, made large pots of rice and curry, but always in my home and someone would come to take the food to a shelter. but those few occasions i have only done as a religious expiation for breaking a rule - and muslims will know which sins require feeding the poor as expiation! but iv never got involved in a food bank. never knew they existed until this summer when i read about them.

stressedHEmum Wed 26-Sep-12 12:14:24

Crescent, thank you. I'm trying to rest as much as I can for the next couple of days because I have a busy weekend. I'm a BB leader and have that tomorrow night, then I'm organising family BBQ night for the Church on Friday and I have BB and church commitments Saturday and Sunday, so doubtless next week will be a washout. it's just another wee challenge to have to deal with.

So today I am grateful for
the fact that I could rest yesterday and today to prepare for the weekend.
the sun and wind today that will dry my washing
getting to this time today without DS3 and DD (teens) coming to blows
cuddles from DS4(9) in the morning
39p brocolli in Aldi for my guinea pigs because they love it and it's normally too expensive.

HardlyEverHoovers Wed 26-Sep-12 20:03:18

Been away for a while, Stressed, I echo Crescents thoughts, not sickening, quite the opposite.
Today I am grateful for:
health, brought into sharp focus by a good friend being diagnosed with a serious illness
faith, that will God willing get my friend and her loved ones through the above

Salbertina Thu 27-Sep-12 07:57:25

Sorry to hear about yr friend sad

Ok, today so far- sun shining again in between rain clouds

Made lovely stir fry for everyone, look forward to later

Donating new clothes to our gardeners family

crescentmoon Thu 27-Sep-12 08:21:38

salams Hardly, hey salbertina,

today im grateful that...

1) we were all ready in our going out clothes this morning by 8am. i am so proud of the children.

2) inspired by your last point salbertina im going to take the 20 or so unwanted books in our house the charity shop this morning. half of them i bought from the charity shop anyway so am now returning for someone else to enjoy!

3) dd1 is such a cheerful girl and it spreads to all of us - i hope that she always has that effect on people.

4) a dear friend is moving with her family to my city in a couple of months, im so excited.

5) today i finally get my payout from a savings scheme i have been in for the past year and im so excited. its the first time iv done it with this group of people and we already have plans to restart straight after it ends.

Salbertina Thu 27-Sep-12 08:46:59

Like your number 3!
Well, you've reminded me am off to library later and can donate lots of books to them also ( in Africa, not Uk local gov cutbacks!)

stressedHEmum Thu 27-Sep-12 08:53:43

Today, so far, I am grateful for

22 years with my fabulous DS1 (it's his birthday today)

the university scholarship that means that he is now in 5th year at his uni of choice, a thing which we could never have afforded without it

the fact that he has made such a success of being there and livng independently even though he has AS

sunshine between the showers

being a BB leader and having the chance to have a positive effect on the lives of lots of little boys (am celebrating harvest with 6-10 year olds tonight)

crescentmoon Thu 27-Sep-12 10:50:28

Just reading the thread on ME in Aibu. Im grateful I woke up this morning in good health. It doesn't mean il wake up tomorrow with good health. I hope that your friend has access to the best care and support dear hardly. May we not be tested with anything more than we have strength to bear.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Thu 27-Sep-12 22:15:07

Hi everyone,
I am once again grateful for this thread.
So grateful for school helping us with some challenges
Grateful that DH managed to join me for parents evening, his support is so vital.
I am grateful that I have the time to spend in school helping, hearing a few of the little ones read and make such progress is magical.
I am grateful that antibiotcs work quickly when they are needed.

I am grateful that I have a comfy bed to go to.

Salbertina Thu 27-Sep-12 22:22:06

Wish there was a like button for those, Never smile

stressedHEmum Fri 28-Sep-12 22:01:56

Today I am grateful -

that the family BBQ that I was organising for the church was a roaring success. We had at least 90 people, mainly young families from the community. It was fabulous.

for the help that my BB boys gave . setting up the marquee, running the disco and manning the tuck shop.

for the dry weather that helped people to come.

for my children, who helped out all over the place.

that tomorrow is Saturday and I don't have anywhere to go because I feel like I've just gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Salbertina Sat 29-Sep-12 07:28:58

Hope no rounds s Tyson today!

Am grateful not to have been around in ww2 Germany ESP as a Jew- just been watching "Good"

It's sat

Had fun night out last night

crescentmoon Sat 29-Sep-12 09:22:59

today im grateful that,

1) agree with your second one salbertina,

2) im healthy, woke up this morning no aches, no pains, in control of my limbs and my senses,

3) ds 1 slept through the whole of last night without coughing, first time in a week,

4) children are enjoying their new school - im not going to think about if we might move next year just enjoying our life day to day,

5) my new tumble drier is finally arriving this morning after being ordered 3 weeks ago - i am grateful i no longer have to watch out for the weather!

6) im grateful i have a fishmongers round the corner for when i cant get to the butchers

yesterdays gratitudes...

got to school on time,
went out for coffee after drop off with a couple of other mums,
enjoyed watching ds2 playing with other children rather than around other children,
came back to a clean house,
got an email back with reasonable price quotations so we can afford to go for a larger package.
went to bed with small worries and no grudges

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sat 29-Sep-12 09:40:18

I am today grateful for my lovely husband,
I am grateful to the parents who have put themselves forward to run the football league in the village for the children
I am grateful that the sun is shining and I can dry some washing.

I am also grateful that we got a doub;e up of gifts at last week's birthday. It means I have a gift for a childs party this afternoon.

HardlyEverHoovers Sat 29-Sep-12 20:57:28

So enjoy reading these. My gratitudes for today are:
That DS was generous enough to offer me some of his chocolate bar, even though he was really enjoying it smile
That we have a great sisterhood where I live and are all able to support my ill friend, the same sisterhood that cooked for me for 2 weeks after I gave birth
That God gave me the courage and great advice from MNers wink, to challenge some things in my marriage, and 2 months later, it's so much better

crescentmoon Sat 29-Sep-12 22:45:44

Woohoo mashaallah hardly, I'm very pleased to hear that! I'm off to bed but that is on my list of today's gratitudes now.

stressedHEmum Sun 30-Sep-12 14:22:45

Hardly, I am really glad that things have improved for you.

today I am grateful

for the church service that allows me to spend time with God and to focus on things outside myself
for the Sunday School leaders who work hard to lead our children into faith
for the bag pack that my DD is doing in Asda today with the Girls' Brigade. This will help fund the company activities for the rest of the year
for the fact that we can live in safety and security, without threat of war or oppression

crescentmoon Mon 01-Oct-12 10:12:20

yesterday's gratitudes...

1) woke up in full health, children were well and DH up before me!
2) had a lovely day visiting old friends up north - we had talked about it for a long time and finally decided to meet on Sunday.
3) DH took a rare day off all work to look after the children so i could head off early on my own - literally!
4) train was on time, fast, convenient and reliable, - i enjoyed reading my book and looking out at the scenery without having to worry about anything.
5) got back home late but the journey was safe, i never felt threatened about my personal security, got a cab quickly and DH waited up for me at home.
6) the children were still alive!

today's gratitudes...

1) got to school on time
2) new drier in place and working well - one less thing to worry about this winter.
3) had a yummy hot croissant for breakfast this morning, sweet cardamom tea and a pastry - i am blessed!

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 01-Oct-12 11:37:27

sounds like lovely "you time" CM

Today I am grateful for good friends
I am grateful for the bond I have with my sister
I am grateful that I managed to get through my first Bootcamp without an ambulance being required!
I am also grateful that I have nothing required of me until pick up so I can recover smile

crescentmoon Tue 02-Oct-12 08:03:28

gratitudes...

1) i am grateful for the bond with my sisters too, we used to fight like anything when we all lived at home but now call each other every day. of all the things in my life that i didnt expect, that was one of the unlikeliest!

2) i am grateful i read the word bootcamp on this thread to remind myself to get back into exercise!

3) woke up in good health so that should be my lovely start to the day. i should not take that for granted that i will wake up tomorrow with the same start!

4) i have had a lovely period these last two weeks of balancing dh's and my parents interests. who should my loyalty go to first has often conflicted me for a long time and i think iv cracked the balance now.

stressedHEmum Tue 02-Oct-12 09:28:31

yesterday I was grateful...

that I didn't have anywhere to go and was able to rest a bit
that my Dh got an unexpected couple of hours overtime
that I had the food in the house to make an easy pan of lovely spiced carrot soup for tea, which didn't take much effort
that my teenagers were able to curb their fighting enough to let me get some sleep

today so far, I am grateful...

that yesterday is over and I don't feel quite so bad today
that DS2 has a day off college, so he might be able to help a little
that the sun is shining at the moment
that I have a lovely hot cup of blackcurrant tea to take my meds with.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 02-Oct-12 11:20:12

Hmm Blackcurrant tea sounds delicious!

I am grateful that the weather is gorgeous, the sun is shining and everything just looks so happy, the leaves are dancing on the trees and from where I am I can see a butterfly.
I am grateful that I made it through another bootcamp without injury 2 down 10 to go!
I am very grateful that I have clean water to go and bathe in to soothe the soul and muscles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now