Daily Gratitudes

(969 Posts)
crescentmoon Wed 19-Sep-12 21:51:54

i was listening to Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No..." here or better one and i got to thinking about gratitude. apparently regular grateful thinking can increase happiness by as much as 25 percent just by wanting what one actually has. so i hope maybe that we can regularly write about the things that go well for us each day, no matter how little they are. from any faith and no faith too.

il start by saying over the past few days im grateful that...

1. its the middle of september and ds1 hasnt had to use his blue inhaler once
2. id worried that dd wouldnt like her new school but shes settled in very quickly
3. the sun shone brightly so i went exploring around my local high street
4. i have learnt how to make chai tea for myself now
5. the house is cosy and warm

stressedHEmum Mon 08-Apr-13 09:07:30

Salbertina, I'm so happy that you are settling into your new home. Are the children settling well?

Crescent, I don't think that it's over the top at all. It had never occurred to me, though, that nail polish would nullify your ablutions. Is it the same with make-up? I know that if you have no access to adequate water, there are alternative measures that you can take to make ablution, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes, tbh. I really hope that you enjoy your new nail polish, I love to see other people's nice, bright nails. Mine are always so short and scruffy that it would never be worth my time and effort.

I am very moved by your gratitudes, yesterday. They are all so, so true. I try to think about that kind of thing every day and offer a prayer for people suffering in those circumstances. I am extremely grateful that we do not have to,live like that.

Hope you feel better, or is it maybe something exciting?

Today's gratitudes

freedom from violence, oppression and persecution,
access to food and clean water
safety and shelter
my new walking sticks - they make it a bit easier blush I'm only 46
family and friends
the patience to deal with DD - she's 13 and being very, very difficult. So much anger in such a small body.
another dry day to hang out some washing - although I'm sure it can't be good for growing things
wee birds singing in the garden

crescentmoon Mon 08-Apr-13 22:01:18

evening stressed! as for makeup waterproof anything makes it hard to fulfill the conditions of the ablution so i rarely wear that. thats aamzing that you know that theres an alternative to when there is not enough water not many people would know that fact at all. its called tayammum...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tayammum

im very happy you've got new walking sticks - you talk about 46 one of my best friends has been using them since she was 16 because of a childhood illness. deeply spiritual and also very pragmatic too - which i always like as a combination!

gratitudes today:

im enjoying and feeling im doing some good at work,
enjoyed being able to use my own money to settle a few bills for my parents,
went out in safety, came home in safety,
glad the dc will be back after DH has finished his week of nights,
im grateful to my mum and her friends for being so patient and kind to my children.

stressedHEmum Wed 10-Apr-13 13:03:23

The clean water thing was just something that occured to me a while agos, crescent. I kind of wondered what Muslims in desert countries did about their ablutions. I didn't realise that there was a special name for it, though. Thanks for that link, it was very interesting, as were all the links that it led to. Is it really hard keeping to all the regulations. especially as different groups have different outlooks? A bit like Reformed Churches and RC, really.

I admire your friend greatly. I'm having real trouble adjusting to my life now, goodness knows how hard that must have been at 16. I don't think that there is any other answer than to be a bit pragmatic about it. I fail dismally at that, though.

Today I am grateful -

for the continued sunshine and dry washing
for hm yoghurt cake - a cheap, easy treat for the children
that we live in a safe, stable country
for fresh fruit and veg
that my dear friend's husband seems at last to be getting somewhere with the hospital, hopefully he will have some answers soon

Salbertina Thu 11-Apr-13 08:57:46

Morning!

Stressed- you always sound so wise and pragmatic on here, please don't expect perfection from yourself as you adjust, it sounds hard and that you are very determined. Our move was not far so fortunately been less of an adjustment for kids than our dpets (none of whom is happy yet!)

Crescent- so good to hear that you're getting such satisfaction from your work and that your dc have been well-tended by their gps.

Today am grateful for-

Podcasts (esp as still no wifi and am missing BBC radio) - keeping me going thro some sleepless nights

A beautiful morning

Shelter and ability to have some security measures to protect our family

stressedHEmum Thu 11-Apr-13 10:16:51

Hi, Salbertina. I'm glad everything is going well for you. I'm sure the pets will settle down soon. I think that they are less adaptable then kids. Are you having to keep them in for a few weeks until they get used to things?

I try to be pragmatic and just to take each day as it comes, now. I can't think of any other way to deal with this. There's no point being cross about it because it only makes it harder. It can be very frustrating, though, and I feel desperately sorry for my kids because our lives are so limited now. Ah well. with God's help, we will get through it and out the other side.

Today I am grateful -

for the rain - I might not be able to dry my washing, but the farmers here really need the rain and the warmer weather
that DS2 and 4 seem to be on the mend after their bad colds
for my small, fluffy cat
for a warm, dry house
for the signs of Spring all around me

crescentmoon Thu 11-Apr-13 21:57:50

namaste salbertina - your pets is one of the reasons i keep telling the dc no pets yet until we move to our 'forever' home. in the meantime i try and train my mind to see more than claws and teeth when looking at cute furry animals lol.
stressed i think you are amazing Lord knows what you would do fighting fit when you already do the work of several people! i was reading the other thread about your efforts at setting up a messy church and i thought that was really admirable again.

gratitudes

1. had a very good day
2. chilling out this evening listening to my favourite recordings
3. looking forward to my new paperback when i go to bed soon
4. sweet spiced tea

stressedHEmum Sat 13-Apr-13 13:45:56

Messy church is a bit of a pet project for me, crescent. Our church offers so little for children and young people that I feel that we need to do something radical. Even if kids that came along never came to ordinary church, at least we would be planting wee seeds and building links with community and families.

I love pets. We have a cat, guinea pigs and fish. Kids want a rabbit and a dog, but we couldn't manage any more. But then, I grew up with lots of pets and the house feels strange and empty without them. I love their soft furriness and I love to watch the fish, it's very calming.

Today, I am grateful -

for the sunshine
for sibling board game afternoon - the 3 boys are sitting playing Rune Age together
for food, water and shelter
for peace and security
for my kindle - I can't hold a book any more, so the kindle is a fab thing.

Salbertina Sun 14-Apr-13 09:56:33

Namaste!

Crescent, am liking your very wholesome sounding treats - I'm in an over indulgent mode atm and choc/wine feature too much! I need a health kick, i think. How are your dc now after their gp visit?

Stressed, I am grateful for your kindle- its a veritable treasure trove, isn't it?

Today am grateful to the lifeguards who risk their lives as volunteers

To nature in all its (often dangerous in this country!) glory

For a peaceful family morning so far.

crescentmoon Sun 14-Apr-13 23:24:42

gratitudes:

that the dc are back,
that dh didnt have an accident last night driving home as exhausted as he was,
for my siblings,
lovely chat with someone new,

hope you are both ok, dear stressed keep on planting your 'wee' seeds and community building. totally get overindulgent salbertina - i always gain a little weight each time we move house because of the stress then lose it again when everything has settled down!

Salbertina Mon 15-Apr-13 11:07:10

<scoffing pain au chocolate, not low carb>

Morning!

Am grateful for most beautiful view am looking at

Disposable tampons & pads- millions of girls/women here miss school/work due to their lack

Wheels, not had for a while

Salbertina Tue 16-Apr-13 16:24:59

Shelter
Full fridge
Time to rest after bad night
That dc2 at least likes new place

Salbertina Wed 17-Apr-13 07:27:13

Morning! Hope everyone is well.

Today, I'm grateful for

Appreciation from dh- specifically for certain things i have done so felt thoughtful.

My little affectionate cat.

Dc doing better at school.

crescentmoon Wed 17-Apr-13 07:49:43

salam salbertina, checking in now!

gratitudes so far this week:

1. that DH was able to come through for me even though it really put him out,
2. that the dc have come home with beautiful table manners lol
3. ds1 and dd enjoying being back at school
4. work is fulfilling and i feel more organised because of the two weeks grace!
5. ds2 has started talking alot more - iv counted iv heard him using 10 more new words!

Salbertina Wed 17-Apr-13 07:54:42

Salam, Crescent!
Ah, beautiful table manners from them all and 10 new words from ds2? That's a result! How old is he?

crescentmoon Wed 17-Apr-13 08:33:27

ds2 is nearly 3 and doesnt use many words. my db didnt speak at all until he was 3 so my family keep telling me to take it easy but ds1 and dd spoke so early i couldnt help but be abit concerned, but 2 weeks at my parents and he's come home with more words. and lovely table manners from all of them! bit less wild bit more human now lol.

stressedHEmum Wed 17-Apr-13 11:38:37

Ah, the effects of a couple of weeks with granny, crescent. Don't worry about DS2's speech, he'll get there in his own time. My DS2 had a significant speech delay, but look at him now. DS4 doesn't talk at all, really, but when he does, he is one of the most articulate 10 year olds that you'll ever meet. They all get there in the end.

Glad things are going well, Salbertina.

gratitudes at the moment -

warm and safe shelter
plenty food and clean water
pain killers, medication and medical people
faith in the face of challenges
that my challenges are so small compared to so many others
family and friends

Poledra Wed 17-Apr-13 11:52:52

Oh goodness me! I'd lost this thread, and forgotten about it - what a pleasure to come across it again. So, today's gratitudes:

1. That the DDs have all gone back to school happily after we had a lovely holiday over Easter
2. That DH seems to be discovering new ways to 'be' with the children. It's hard to explain, I sometimes felt he was too removed from them, but recently he's been spending more time with them, and seeking out things to do with them that both he and they will enjoy. I think that maybe he finds them easier to relate to as they get older - not that he wasn't a loving father, but he's not a baby person, IYSWIM.
3. I am still very grateful for me new Kenwood chef that I bought over Easter - I might in fact still be giving it a little stroke every time I pass it in the kitchen blush

Salbertina Wed 17-Apr-13 12:06:43

Hello everyone and welcome back, Poledra <we promise to stroke your Kenwood mixer if you'll stay wink >

Salbertina Thu 18-Apr-13 09:21:43

Salam, Good Morning, Namaste!

Am grateful for sleep, sun and peace today.

stressedHEmum Thu 18-Apr-13 10:44:51

sunshine
crafty DD who has made an example craft for my wee BB tonight (I suck at craft)
for emergency services and medical people - all those poor people in America, it doesn't bear thinking about
free press and news services

Salbertina Fri 19-Apr-13 15:53:57

Am so grateful for an intelligent, cautious US response to the Boston bombings (none of Bush's dangerously provocative "axis of evil" reductive bullshit nonsense) , hopefully that may make our world a little safer..

A walk with the hound by the sea in the sun, perfection!

Dc's friends.

crescentmoon Sat 20-Apr-13 06:56:33

Morning all,

Gratitudes:
Made it to the weekend!
DH dealing with all kids activities today,
He also took the initiative to organise a family day out tomorrow-booked tickets and everything!
finished all the laundry last night so this weekend only light cleaning

Salbertina Sat 20-Apr-13 19:56:09

Umm.. Sun, cat and dc reading and shelter, food, car.

crescentmoon Sun 21-Apr-13 07:55:15

poledra in very glad yur back,hope you get time to post today. My DH also sounds abit like yours wrt kids when little and kids now. I always say he does the photo OP parenting but not the get down mucky side! Not that he's more into it now But as they're getting older and are abit more independent he spends and takes them out more on his own now!
stressed I really savoured what you wrote about your children and their speaking. That's the benefit of talking to people knowing other experiences and that things will turn out ok. If I tell you before this week dc2 had never even joined two words together- and he has said 'too hot', 'I'm fine', which were so precious to me. I'd hoped with nursery he'd become more talkative but its made him more sociable but not that. Think it must be my parents just speak to him alot more than play with him?or something!
salbertina we've finally started to have fine weather here too.it makes such a difference to mood I feel uplifted just by how much light is in bedroom when I wake up in the morning.
Post gratitudes later! Hope you are all keeping well. Namaste.

Salbertina Sun 21-Apr-13 08:31:17

Namaste!

So pleased about, dc2, Crescent! Sounds like he's doing fine- stressful though when they "should" be doing x by y age, all the average milestones. We had this with walking..

As ever am grateful for the wonders and comforts of nighttime podcasts (was feeling rather lonely and even homesick last night as angsting over stuff w dh...). Am endeavouring to be mindful and think "its just thoughts...not who i am" etc.

Glad fine weather/Spring finally hit back there- autumn here but am grateful for another beautiful, beautiful day- i can hear birdsong and crashing waves and the sky is a perfect blue.

Coffee.

Have a lovely day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now