Daily Gratitudes

(969 Posts)
crescentmoon Wed 19-Sep-12 21:51:54

i was listening to Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No..." here or better one and i got to thinking about gratitude. apparently regular grateful thinking can increase happiness by as much as 25 percent just by wanting what one actually has. so i hope maybe that we can regularly write about the things that go well for us each day, no matter how little they are. from any faith and no faith too.

il start by saying over the past few days im grateful that...

1. its the middle of september and ds1 hasnt had to use his blue inhaler once
2. id worried that dd wouldnt like her new school but shes settled in very quickly
3. the sun shone brightly so i went exploring around my local high street
4. i have learnt how to make chai tea for myself now
5. the house is cosy and warm

crescentmoon Sun 10-Feb-13 12:21:31

oh my goodness ds1 is there too? thats brilliant stressed. and for ds2 to go from where he was 2 years ago to applying to move away to uni and a high calibre one at that is brilliant. would that my dc are also in the same position in 10 odd years lol, and hopefully by less effort on my part than your homeschooling self also!

daily gratitudes:

came down to find DH had done the mountain of washing up from yday,
dc playing well together,
wet windy day but we're inside safe and warm,
so far no sabotage getting the house ready for estate agent inspection tomorrow by the dc but its still midday!

Salbertina Sun 10-Feb-13 12:28:08

Cat not been killed by our dog
Boys built great den
Packing proceeding.

Great news re St Andrews, am v impressed! How satisfying when you've schooled them yourself!

Great about husband plus washing = done could do with with some of that here

Salbertina Sun 10-Feb-13 12:29:02

Stressed, are you a trained teacher? If not, am even more impressed...

Salbertina Sun 10-Feb-13 12:29:54

Crescent, forgot to ask- you're moving then?

tuffie Sun 10-Feb-13 17:19:33

Good evening fellow grateful people !

Today I am grateful that

My cat eventually swallowed her tablet after spitting it out 4 times (and thank you to God for holding me back from throttling her), and seems to be getting better as a result.
The children at our church who led the service this morning. What a treat it was.
My lovely friend for inviting me round for a cottage pie and a natter tonight.

Stressed - can I add my congrats to your boy.
Salbertina - I'm glad your dog didn t kill the cat ! ( that made me laugh)
Crescent - hope you manage to stop the dc turning the house upside down before the inspection , and good luck with the house move!

crescentmoon Sun 10-Feb-13 17:27:55

hello lovelies no im not moving house its in our tenancy agreement to have house inspections every 6 months. which is a drag but the agents and the landlord are very quick to respond whenever we have any problems/ concerns so we try to be ok with it! have a lovely evening, house still clean, may put kids to bed early to give it max chance to stay clean

Sunnywithshowers Sun 10-Feb-13 17:42:22

Hello all

Can I join in?

Today I'm grateful that:
1. My DCat is alive (he's nearly 19 and has been cuddly all day)
2. It's not snowing - yet
3. We've done a bit of tidying and the house is much more welcoming
4. As I've been typing, the Venerable Oscar (see 1. above) has got on the sofa for more fuss...

crescentmoon Sun 10-Feb-13 18:20:02

Welcome sunnywithshowers! And your gratitudes are to do with a cat like salbertina and tuffie. I also laughed at the dog didnt kill the cat.id love one if he was like your 'Oscar' summer-cuddly- but I'm afraid I'd get a cat like this one...

''The Dog's diary:

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat's diary

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.
The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!
There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.
Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.
I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...''

Salbertina Sun 10-Feb-13 19:39:54

My cat is like that one, Crescent! Thanks for that, hilarious, made dh & I laugh!

Salbertina Mon 11-Feb-13 06:54:10

Time to myself to plan, pack and regroup a little
The air is fresher
Just arranged to see some friends later smile

Sunnywithshowers Mon 11-Feb-13 12:54:08

smile I think Oscar used to be more like that one, at least when we had another cat and he was younger...

stressedHEmum Mon 11-Feb-13 12:56:58

Thanks to everyone, I have passed congratulations on the DS2. salbertina, no, I'm not a teacher, just a mum who struggles on. We were very badly let down by the LA and the schools, so were kind os forced into HE. To be honest, DS2 has been mostly self directed for years. He is scarily bright, probably the brightest person I have ever met, so there is far more credit to him than to me. I'm just a kind of guiding and supporting influence for him.

Crescent, I have that cat, but I love her anyway.

Tuffie, I hope that your cat is on the mend. Mine won't take medicine, either, and trying to flea/worm her is a nightmare - she turns into Taz. Sunny, my cat is 15, not quite as old as yours, but I find myself worrying more and more as she seems to slow down a bit. She doesn't go out in the rain, cold, wind or anything like that anymore and seems to sleep most of the day now. I wish Oscar more years of cuddles and fuss.

Today, I am grateful -

for the sunshine at the moment
for an absolutely beautiful and uplifting church service, yesterday, from a visiting minister (ours was away at a family do.)
that all the arrangements are made for my Outreach committee's quiz night on Friday - I just pray for a good turnout now.
for family and good friends
for my older boys who help out willingly at the food bank, doing all the lifting and shifting
that my friend's wife has been told that she won't need a much dreaded lumbar puncture after all
that I am fed, warm and comfortable.

crescentmoon Mon 11-Feb-13 14:52:26

Lol at taz sTressed you mean the Warner brothers Tasmanian devil one? So funny I can just imagine but that adds to my list of risks of cats as pets! That piece was from an email forward I got years ago but it's online in a few variations. Glad you liked it salbertina I'm so glad your onwards and forwards for emigrating back to the UK.

Daily gratitudes

Inspection was very quick and went well- they were more apologetic than me!
Got a lift back home from school this morning with my neighbour
Lovey chat with my mum this afternoon- trying to convince me to go up to stay with her this coming half term

stressedHEmum Tue 12-Feb-13 20:10:23

evening -

just popping in to say that I probably won't be around much for the next few weeks. Lent starts tomorrow and I usually try to cut out internet use and other distracting things as well as fast.

I will be very grateful if God answers my prayers for strength smile

Today I am grateful -

for a dry day
for warm food and a safe home
for all the good things in my life
for this time of year which allows me to grow in faith and in peace.

crescentmoon Wed 13-Feb-13 00:10:20

Oh stressed that's really good. I might use this time to start cutting down my Internet use too, it really eats into my productivity time!

Daily gratitudes

1. That I had 3weeks of rest before this latest bout of sickness amongst my 3 dc
2. For inhalers for ds1
3. Calpol to reduce temperature for all 3
4. That I don't have to start yet so I can concentrate on them
5. That I'm healthy so I can take care of them!

Salbertina Thu 14-Feb-13 12:44:01

Stressed- hope Lent is going well for you. Good idea to limit screen-time/Internet. Should myself!

Crescent, hope yr dc are recovering well. We've all been ill too.

1) awoke before dawn to hear an eagle owl on the roof right above me hooting to another in a nearby tree smile What a privilege, such a beautiful, mystical sound - not quite a full T-wit- to- woo. More like a w-h-hooo...lovely!

2. Had some kind words from a wise man earlier, much needed as am so stressed!

3. Dc go to a lovely beautiful school

crescentmoon Thu 14-Feb-13 17:09:18

sorry to hear that salbertina, really hope you and your lovely family get better soon. mine are still unwell - its been a strange start to the new year but there is something to be learned from it. really liked that expression you had awhile ago by tara brach? "Wisdom teaches me I know nothing, love teaches me I have everything. Between the two, my life flows." that one, and another through a blog stressed posted "in the midst of my affliction my table is spread".

daily gratitudes

1. my body: my liver, my kidneys, my eyes, my nose, my ears, my heart, my lungs, my blood
2. my body's strength
3. that I have DH behind me which makes raising a family so much easier that we work together.
4. that my online order came through today and it cheered me up
5. for lovely friends and family

Salbertina Fri 15-Feb-13 09:46:27

Thanks, Crescent smile. Yes that quote was cited by the fab Tara Brach in one of her podcasts, not sure who originally said it though. Glad your family are so close and supportive.

Today i am grateful for
1) the beauty of the landscape around me and good company on a lovely run
2) good coffee!
3) its Friday.. Chance to take stock and plan

crescentmoon Fri 15-Feb-13 19:59:28

hope your all getting better today salbertina. been feeling a little under the weather today hoping to get better over this weekend!

daily gratitudes

1. that my neighbour was able to collect ds1 and dd from school for me and drop them off
2. that its only a sore throat and tiredness, nothing on the scale of what my dc had.
3. that DH made a rare trip home this afternoon just to see and check on me. downside is he is still at work!
4. 'in the midst of my affliction my table is spread' - i have a kitchen full of food to feed my family even though i didnt feel like eating myself.
5. watching ds2 coming more and more into his own personality is such a pleasure and a privilege.

Salbertina Sat 16-Feb-13 10:20:18

Thanks, Crescent, all better now

1) in the spirit of your post, "our table is spread" also

2) dc both happily playing with friends

3) packing quite therapeutic

Salbertina Sun 17-Feb-13 04:35:12

Distant cockerels crowing
Air buzzing with insects already
Beautiful, pastel pink sunrise over the sea...
Am grateful to be alive.

crescentmoon Sun 17-Feb-13 10:30:52

hello salbertina sunrise over the sea are you sure you want to leave? i get what you mean about packing being therapeutic. some places iv lived iv packed with a heavy heart but some places its been with gladness!

yesterday's gratitudes

1. morning started off horribly but got better as day progressed
2. grateful DH has a job though it makes him leave me in the lurch often!
3. enjoyed watching dc make new friends - i usually hover when they are around shy children as they can overpower them abit but yesterday's kids were just as bossy confident so i just sat back and watched them figure out the pecking order between themselves!
4. had a mid afternoon nap which i woke up from feeling great
5. rewarded the kids for staying quiet with a pizza takeaway - im grateful theyre so easy to please!

today's gratitudes

1. called MIL for a chat this morning and it was really pleasant
2. looking forward to a week of no school next week and the children are well
3. low laundry pile, kitchen is clean (but dining room floor needs cleaning!)
4. sunny bright day

Salbertina Mon 18-Feb-13 06:25:35

Hello everyone

Hi, Crescent - enjoy your school free week - hope your kids stay easily pleased wink
No, am absolutely not sure about going- its a wrench either way. Am scared of such a radical change, we have roots here and they're the ones which are present on our minds not the UK ones...but, its v expensive, i cant work and its got security issues...

Today am grateful for such a picture postcard-perfect beautiful morning
A loyal dog
Time to plan/pack as house to myself again
Namaste!

crescentmoon Mon 18-Feb-13 18:10:00

namaste salbertina,

i know what you mean about a wrench either way. a few years ago we were being urged by friends to move to south africa as apparently they are world experts in DHs field. we looked into it, considered job vs lifestyle, had a job lined up by our friends but we decided against it because of security issues also. our friends themselves had had even relatives be victims of violent crime. i thought whats the money worth if you cant take a walk on the street! is it that you cant work for visa or is it reduced work opportunities out there in your field? it is difficult i think to weigh up matters.

daily gratitudes:

1. took dc to park, ds1 and dd made friends. then went to feed ducks with cheap loaf of bread from nearby supermarket. very nice time out
2. ds2 more intrepid on park equipment - i think thats the influence of nursery!
3. had friends round for tea and cake - dc didnt embarress me that much!
4. swotting up getting ready to start new stage of my life.

Salbertina Tue 19-Feb-13 07:44:40

Hello everyone or is it just us left, Crescent? Oh well, lovely thread so Im happy to keep going. Guess Stressed will re-join us after Lent.

Crescent- what your pending new life-stage? New course/job?

Intrigued by your cancelled SA plan also. Can understand why esp after youf friends' experience sad. Yes, its a beautiful place with tons of potential, exuberance and energy along with a (costly) fantastic lifestyle in material ways for the privileged few..however, grinding poverty all around, constant threat of violent crime- guards everywhere so never quite relax. SA gov v strict on foreigners working and am on spousal visa.

Anyway, am grateful for
Hooting owl at dawn again
Options in our lives however painful it is to choose, at least we can
This thread! It's lovely to share and have a window into each other's worlds and also to reflect on my own and realise how lucky i am despite life's challenges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now