Daily Gratitudes

(969 Posts)
crescentmoon England Wed 19-Sep-12 21:51:54

i was listening to Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No..." here or better one and i got to thinking about gratitude. apparently regular grateful thinking can increase happiness by as much as 25 percent just by wanting what one actually has. so i hope maybe that we can regularly write about the things that go well for us each day, no matter how little they are. from any faith and no faith too.

il start by saying over the past few days im grateful that...

1. its the middle of september and ds1 hasnt had to use his blue inhaler once
2. id worried that dd wouldnt like her new school but shes settled in very quickly
3. the sun shone brightly so i went exploring around my local high street
4. i have learnt how to make chai tea for myself now
5. the house is cosy and warm

HardlyEverHoovers Thu 20-Sep-12 19:58:41

That's a lovely idea. I used to do a '3 good things that happened today' thought before I went to sleep, but seem to have forgotten about that.
I'm grateful that:
we eat lovely food everyday
we have a nice little garden
DS always seems happy
we are safe

headinhands Italy Thu 20-Sep-12 20:44:33

Nice idea op

1, dd went to school grumpy but came out happy, phew.
2, had some good feedback from my boss
3, managed the longest run I've done since June.

Salbertina Thu 20-Sep-12 21:08:08

I cheered a sad friend up
Dc say they love each other
Dh v supportive
I am realizing family dynamics for which I am not responsible or to blame for, understanding this a huge release am v v grateful
Spring here, sort of

crescentmoon England Thu 20-Sep-12 21:36:57

hello hardly, headinhands, and salbertina! i liked reading your lists, and it reminds me to think about the details of my day. to look at my children fast asleep now you wouldnt believe the angst they caused me all afternoon! but im grateful that...

1. my younger brother phoned me today - first time we've spoken since July - and we had a long heartfelt chat. i didnt realise how much id missed him.
2. i got an answer back on a course i wanted to take and im excited i have the chance to do it.
3. my children are very protective of each other when i have to tell one of them off. im secretly pleased that they feel that way about each other.
4. i have good neighbours. very, very good neighbours.
5. dh never hesitates to give time to any of my hypochondriac aunts

stressedHEmum Fri 21-Sep-12 09:12:47

DS4 (10) has finally slept a full night in his own bed (Thank you, God).
BB went well last night, it's my first year organising evenings and was very nervous about all the boys hating it.
Everyone ate dinner last night without complaining (very trivial, I know).
Have a food bank meeting this morning and I'm so pleased that I can finally tell them that I have persuaded my church to take part.
I got up this morning and I'm not in as much pain as I expected to be.

It's good to thank God every day for all the many, small blessings that he grants us. It helps to foster contentment and an outlook of gratitude.

HardlyEverHoovers Sat 22-Sep-12 14:52:46

Hmm, today I am grateful for:
1)Saturdays - a whole day for myself and DS with no guilt about not studying
2)That I live in a place where everyone is friendly and chatty and a lovely lady helped DS cross the road even though she didn't know us, just because he decided he'd rather hold her hand than mine!
3)Sunshine
4)My slow cooker, among all the other things that make life easy and not everyone in the world has
5)That DH takes DS to Friday prayers every week, all dressed in white and smelling of a perfume shop...
I agree stressedHEmum, it is a lovely way remind us to be grateful for what we have, rather than wanting what we don't.

stressedHEmum Sat 22-Sep-12 15:07:25

Today I am grateful for

A dry day to hang out the washing
A good friend who has volunteered to help with the food bank project
That I was able to pass on a jacket that another child can get good use from this winter
The fact that no-one in this house will have to go to bed hungry when so many other people don't have that luxury
The chance of a quiet time to pray in peace

crescentmoon England Sat 22-Sep-12 18:06:47

when i listen to the song

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUcXI2BIUOQ

i realise, checking things off the list, that....

iv got a home, iv got shoes, iv got money, iv got friends, iv got schooling, iv got a place to stay,
iv got a father, iv got a mother, iv got children, iv got sisters, iv got brothers, iv got faith, iv got love, i have a lovely husband,
iv clothes, iv got a country,
iv got water, iv got food, iv got clothes,

about the only things i don't have are a job - im grateful i can choose when to go back to that
- iv got no wine - im ok with that lol -
and iv got no cigarettes - lol im ok with that too

and on top of all those things, i still have...

my hair on my head (though its a tangled mess right now!),my brains, my ears, my eyes, my nose and my mouth,
iv got my smile - yes, yes cheesy
my tongue, my neck, my chin, my heart, my soul and my back
iv got my arms, my hands, my fingers, my legs, my feet, my toes, my liver, my blood
im alive, everyday i wake up and im still alive i still have a chance to change my condition!

plus, im grateful that...

1) i live in a land of security, no bombs, no guns, no aerial bombardments, no drone attacks, no curfews
2) i can walk in safety. my children have never seen anything but good from strangers.
3) i have never been at the mercy of merciless people.
4) i have trustworthy people around me who i can leave my children with when needed. saturdays are my formal study days hardly, the rest of the week i dont even pick up a pen!

i read an article about church food banks awhile ago

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jul/18/food-banks-on-hand-outs

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug/21/councils-invest-food-banks-welfare-cuts

and really appreciated their work stressedHEmum.

stressedHEmum Sat 22-Sep-12 19:20:15

Food banks are a wonderful thing, crescent, they are God's love in action. Although, I never know whether to be happy they are there or sad that they are needed. They serve a very real need and they make no distinctions or discrimination. You should be able to get a parcel when you need one whether you are veggie/vegan. coeliac/lactose intolerant/need halal/kosher or whatever, as long as there is something in the bank. Many food banks strike up relationships with halal/kosher suppliers etc. to make sure that that need is filled as well. In a very big way it's about giving people back some dignity in very difficult circumstances.

HardlyEverHoovers Sun 23-Sep-12 06:58:37

The food bank sounds fantastic.

stressedHEmum Sun 23-Sep-12 09:18:46

They are, Hardly. I've been trying to get one set up in our church for about 2 1/2 years sad and was kind of hitting my head off a wall. Thankfully, another church a few miles away decided to start an official one about 6 months ago and I've been involved in that since the start. Now my own church is opening what's called a distribution centre, which is like an off shoot of the main bank.

I am so happy and thankful that God has finally moved the hearts of my Kirk Session to take part in this because we live in an area that is right at the top of Scotland's multiple deprivation index and where almost 30% of working age people are unemployed. So the need here is very great. I also feel very blessed to be involved in this and some other projects that local churches are starting up here. I actually feel that God's Spirit is at work here now in a way that He hasn't been for ages. (I know how pious and sickening that sounds, sorry).

crescentmoon England Sun 23-Sep-12 16:11:33

no not pious or sickening stressed. i think that its great to find people of faith from whatever background. i admire the good acts that you are doing, i hope that i will join you in something like that where i live. its so sad that its required but knowing that there are people devoted to acts of helping their fellow man really makes you have hope that the Big Society is not just a gimmick.

today im grateful that...

after leaving my phone - that DS2 had held under a running tap! - in a bowl of dried rice for 2 days it now works very well. granted i have to use headphones to listen, but its very minor compared to a completely broken phone!

i have access to medication and information in managing ds1's asthma - the 'coughing' season has begun!

Salbertina Sun 23-Sep-12 16:23:37

That's good!

1. I'm so grateful that I received an incredibly thoughtful, appropriate v carefully chosen card from a good friend (although misdirected via Kenya for some reason!)

2. It's cold & rainy but warm inside
3. I've just baked a lovely low carb cheesecake for everyone

stressedHEmum Sun 23-Sep-12 16:33:48

Ah, coughing season, I know it well. Hope your DD doesn't suffer too badly this year.

Today, I am grateful for

Another dry day, for washing purposes and for the fresh air the children can get.
Living in a country where I am free to go to church and worship without fear of persecution
Having a DH who is prepared to work 7 days a week so that we can keep a roof over our heads.
5 minutes quiet for a cup of fruit tea and some bible reading while the kids are out.

headinhands Italy Sun 23-Sep-12 20:14:03

1. We had 11 round the dinner table today. I like gatherings over food and wine.
2 All set for tomorrow so no ironing to do in the morning.
3. Have been finding something funny all day and have laughed lots!

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sun 23-Sep-12 20:21:15

May I join you?

I really need to do something like this, I tried having a gratitude journal to write in but I didn't keep it up.

1) I am grateful for this thread, timing is perfect
2) I am grateful that we have had a good weekend for DS2's birthday, after a week of sleepless nights worrying about it.
3) I am grateful that I have fabulous inlaws
4) I am grateful for my wonderful sister who helped all day Saturday at the party.
I am grateful for my children who remind me why it is important to wake up each morning.

MagicalWonderMutt Sun 23-Sep-12 20:41:48

I am grateful for a lazy lie in with a gorgeous DS to bring me coffee in bed
I am grateful that my DH still makes me laugh after 23 years
I am grateful for a beautiful walk in the autumn sun with my little family
I am grateful for the food on my table

.... Mostly, I am just grateful........

Salbertina Tue 25-Sep-12 07:27:33

Yesterday-
Lovely walk w dh
Sun was shining
Wine good!

Today so far-
Sun shining
Easyish day ahead -thank God, as knackered
Can hear mainly birdsong from home right now

crescentmoon England Tue 25-Sep-12 08:24:52

hey salbertina, neverknowingly understood, magical wondermutt. keep posting as often as you can no matter how small those gratitudes are!

yesterday - got to school on time
remembered my rainmac so didnt get drenched,
my parents were very happy with me yesterday im grateful theyre still alive i have a chance to do things for them
accomplished lots of errands i normally would have left to DH
had guests in evening i only had short notice for!

today -

WE ARE READY! i took a leaf out of headinhandss sunday gratitudes and for the first time ever, got lunch and clothes ready in the evening. so this morning has ben very relaxed so far!

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 25-Sep-12 12:34:40

Hi ladies
I am grateful that yesterday the vets could see our lovely old saggy cat at short notice.
I am grateful that football was cancelled due to rain
I am grateful for the lovely bath with DS2 whilst DS1 was at cubs.

Today
I am grateful for the shining sun,
I am grateful for support of friends

stressedHEmum Tue 25-Sep-12 13:19:04

Yesterday I was grateful that

DS2 was on holiday from college so that I could stay in bed (ME quite bad at the moment)
It stayed dry long enough for me to dry some washing
The children all liked what I made for dinner
We have a roof over our heads and food for our stomachs

Today, so far, I am grateful that

I don't feel quite as bad today as I did yesterday
I have nowhere to go today, so we can all stay warm and dry in the house
My good friends feel that they can confide in my during the difficult times that they are facing
My faith strengthens me to face each day without fear and helps me cope with the difficulties we have.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 25-Sep-12 21:08:39

I am also grateful that I did not expire during my panic at the PTA AGM this evening.

demisemiquaver Tue 25-Sep-12 22:44:47

OP this is a lovely thread!!

Salbertina Wed 26-Sep-12 08:24:17

Indeed!

Mine so far today:

Managed to order nice gift for friend
Dc off on lovely school walk to beach
Time to myself today to regroup, do admin & chores

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now