Cool Choirs, Clappy Choruses, Cringy Coffee: Religion Chat Thread No 5

(1000 Posts)
madhairday Sun 09-Sep-12 16:16:19

I thought seeing as our other thread has gone somewhere into the oblivion that is old MN pages, I would start us up again anew for a new term. This is a place for those who are Christians (and anyone who's not, we're not an exclusive little club) grin to chat about life, theology, church, any other stuff and of course Graham Kendrick, as nickel would not forgive me if I forgot to mention him grin

So all welcome, old and new, it would be fun to chat and chew over anything that comes to mind. Lurkers say hello!

Anyone got a nice juicy topic to get the ball rolling then? Or if not come say hi anyway and tell us how you are doing. smile

niminypiminy Fri 15-Feb-13 11:08:33

Nickel, perhaps you should put it to one side for a day or two, then have a look at it again and think whether you want to edit it. If you don't, at that point, then send it all in. Sometimes though writing it all out can be a good way of finding out what you think, but sometimes it's not good to let people know everything that you think.

niminypiminy Fri 15-Feb-13 11:13:10

blue thought I must have got the day wrong, as 6pm on Ash Wednesday would be a strange time for an appt. My next one is 22nd March - you'd think I'd be used to the endless waits by this time, but no (last one was 25th Jan).

I'm sure it'll be fine. Just try and let yourself be open to it (easier when you're in there than beforehand I must say).

nickelbabe Fri 15-Feb-13 12:24:39

niminy - it might be better for him to see on paper how crazy i am, so he's not too shocked when it's revealed in person wink

nickelbabe Fri 15-Feb-13 12:26:28
MadHairDay Sat 16-Feb-13 10:13:26

OK....this is scary

I know him!!!!!!! grin

Well, at least, I know his mum, brother, sister....from too many years ago to mention....still know his brother and wife now.

Hahahah! It's a small world.

He is lovely, or was 25 a few years ago!

MadHairDay Sat 16-Feb-13 10:15:26

Welcome Jayne!

<rubs hands together at another on my side> grin

nickel I'll fb msg you

MadHairDay Sat 16-Feb-13 10:31:16

Had a lovely time seeing Blue yesterday, and her dds, new dd is adorable as is dd1 who took a shine to my dd and her room! Was lovely to catch up.

Took dd to a quiz nite last night, which was a christian aid fundraiser, and couldn't believe it but our team won, I never win quizzes! We won a huuuuge box of malteasers which we then had to share with the rest of the people there in order that dd and the other dc in our group didn't make themselves sick grin There was a talk about christian aid and the IF campaign after but unfortunately it was too long and went on forever and the dc were all bored - was about an hour shock shame as it was a nice evening. Had to wait for cakes until the end too - 9pm, from 6.30 pm - long time for dcs.

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 10:44:22

that's not NV.
sad

SESthebrave Sat 16-Feb-13 10:55:03

Welcome Jayne smile
I'm SES and I'm a strange creature that used to be CofE and am now RC. I would describe myself as middle of the road but leaning towards the charismatic style of worship. I have 3.9yo DS AND 8mo DD. No chickens but two mad cocker spaniels.

Nickel - I'm getting confused! NV = new vicar? HTV =???

I had a lovely day yesterday and seeing family today. Both my brothers and their wives travelling over and meal out with them and my parents tonight. Prayers please though as my brothers had a bit of a falling out in the summer and haven't seen each other since!

Lovely seeing you too mhd we can't leave it that long again wink DD1 asked if we could come again today smile
Pity the organisers of the quiz night didn't adapt the program!

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 11:00:05

HTV = holy trinity's vicar.

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 11:00:18

(the team rector)

SESthebrave Sat 16-Feb-13 11:07:56

Ah I see!

How wonderful that you two can meet up, Blue & MHD smile

MadHairDay Sat 16-Feb-13 11:09:34

nickel - oopsadaisy!!! grin

Blue, we mustn't leave it so long smile

dh has just sent me this link which made me splutter my coffee all over the screen. How to be a welcoming church grin

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 11:21:09

grin
i had a feeling that i might be misinterpreted - i was trying to type without having to type too many letters and it totally backfired! blush

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 11:25:55

mhd
that sounds just like our church! (apart from the green arrows. we wouldn't be allowed those)
grin

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 11:28:33

"St Daphne's is dedicated to being a welcoming place. That's why we won't rush up to you on your first day, asking if you're any good at DIY or bell-ringing, or interested in singing in the choir. Oh no. But we will do so next week, of course."

we need to learn that skill! grin

MadHairDay Sat 16-Feb-13 12:29:42

I like the 'if you have small children, why not wait til they are grown up to come back?' grin

Waves at Jayne Hello! I'm new round here as well and the natives seem to be friendly. Actually I would like chickens if we had a garden that was bigger than a small shed and got any light at all. Maybe in the next house...

Loved the welcoming church by Archdruid Eileen. Wonderful stuff. I treasure her top tips for sermon writing which is scarily accurate http://cyber-coenobites.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/top-tips-for-last-minute-sermon.html

Facebook on certain closed groups lights up on Saturday night as the words along the line of 'heeeelllllpppppppppppp- family service 10am - Lent 1 - 40 brownies and beavers - please share your service as I've been up at A&E all day with the baby and the dog has eaten my props'

MadHairDay Sat 16-Feb-13 14:16:05

hehe love that one greenheart, have sent to dh grin I follow her on Twitter, great stuff. Are you on twitter?

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 14:20:25

grin

i might need to follow her too

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 14:25:02

"maybe quoting footprints"

evil gits.

I couldn't even read that sentence without wanting to blub - the whole of the footprints poem would be like actual torture! I wail like a baby when i hear/read it.

niminypiminy Sat 16-Feb-13 16:23:58

That's fantastic greenheart. And I'm just in a 'what on earth can I do in Sunday school tomorrow' panic, (to be closely followed by a what the hell can I devise for next-but-one Sunday's all-age service which is supposed to be led by the children) as well.

I'm not on twitter <behind the times> but I've bookmarked the blog.

I'm not on twitter either as I'm fairly sure it just steals time and I'm not awash with the stuff.

nickelbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 17:20:17

it doesn't steal my time - i forget it's there
and then spend half my life on MN

but my facebook updates twitter, so people can see what I'm doing.

This thread is not accepting new messages.