Cool Choirs, Clappy Choruses, Cringy Coffee: Religion Chat Thread No 5

(1000 Posts)
madhairday Sun 09-Sep-12 16:16:19

I thought seeing as our other thread has gone somewhere into the oblivion that is old MN pages, I would start us up again anew for a new term. This is a place for those who are Christians (and anyone who's not, we're not an exclusive little club) grin to chat about life, theology, church, any other stuff and of course Graham Kendrick, as nickel would not forgive me if I forgot to mention him grin

So all welcome, old and new, it would be fun to chat and chew over anything that comes to mind. Lurkers say hello!

Anyone got a nice juicy topic to get the ball rolling then? Or if not come say hi anyway and tell us how you are doing. smile

niminypiminy Sun 03-Feb-13 16:10:09

Tuo hope this link is going to work: how I feel putting on a new alb it's from a very silly blog called Everyday I'm Pastoring which I really recommend.

One of the advantages of going to a church which looks like an unloved school hall is that at least it's warm!

MHD a friend of mine has to have that op, too. Hard. I'm praying for you.

Tuo Sun 03-Feb-13 18:16:46

Ooh, that was me this morning, niminy!

Well... without the tiny waist and generally dainty demeanour, of course. But inside that was me...

Said alb was a bit grey and dusty and abdandoned-in-a-corner-of-the-vestry-looking, so I've given it a wash. It's now living up to its name rather better, but I've just realised that I'm going to have to try to iron it in some sort of semi-decent manner, and I'm sooooooo not a domestic goddess in the ironing department. Help! Still, at least it's clean.

MHD... sorry - missed the bit about the op. Really hope it'll be OK. Thinking of you.

nickelbabe Sun 03-Feb-13 19:42:57

I remember the first time I wore a syrplice. it was like putting on angel wings grin

MaryBS Mon 04-Feb-13 08:41:37

Sorry I've been absent. I just wanted to let Nickel you know I've corrupted the junior members of choir, by clapping during SJS grin. Bad enough, you might think, but it was the recessional, and they were trying to process out holding hymn books and also trying to join in with the clapping too grin grin grin

MadHairDay Mon 04-Feb-13 10:05:39

grin Mary, you rebel you grin

Yay Tuo, good for you, glad it went well!

Church was lovley yesterday. No GK in sight, and we have a v talented musician who had written a new setting of the Gloria which was lovely but a bit hard to pick up, we'll get there though.

I've finally got an appointment to go and see the DDO! grin
I sent my vocations adviser an email yesterday to ask how long it would take to hear something. Received a phone call today from the DDO's PA with an apology and will meet him during half term! Excited and nervous all at once! smile

Oops just realised that the appointment clashes with the first session of our lent group... Which is taking place at our house. Can't really cancel the appointment now, been waiting for it for so looking. Lent group will have to start slightly later when I'm back or postponed by a week...

niminypiminy Mon 04-Feb-13 15:59:42

Blue that's fantastic news! I'll be praying that it goes really well.

nickelbabe Mon 04-Feb-13 17:38:26

naughty naughty Mary grin

I once told the JCs that they were allowed to clap (because they were practically begging me when I wouldn't let them) and they got to the clappy bit and refused to clap
shock

we had sodding GK on Sunday. I said to DH "I bet NV (new vicar) thinks we embrace GK now [grump]"
(it was Restore o Lord. [boak])

nickelbabe Mon 04-Feb-13 17:39:53

oops Blue - i think DDO is more important.
could you get someone else to lead it? (assuming there'd be someone at your home to let them in?) or swap your week so it's at someone else's house that week?

Hmm can't swap unfortunately as I said I would do it that week because our lay reader is on Holiday. But I agree DDO is more important. I'll ask them tonight what is best.

thanksamillion Tue 05-Feb-13 06:03:55

Exciting Blue - hope you get to resolve the clash.

Nickle this is especially for you... How to write a worship song in 5 mins

MaryBS Tue 05-Feb-13 07:56:53

Yay Blue! grin

Start it later if you can, thats probably easiest, involves less juggling

Clash has been resolved! smile we're starting a week later. Means less stress of getting back in time.

Is it rude of me that I have just ignored a knock on the door from 2 Jehovah's witnesses? wink I was feeding Lotta on the sofa and they knocked with the letterbox... I hate that! We have got a proper working door bell, if you want me to open the door, use it!
They saw I was home, lights on... But I've just ignored!

niminy what should I expect from first meeting with DDO?

Dutchoma Tue 05-Feb-13 12:14:58

Not at all rude Blue. It was rude of them to knock with the letter box, but even if they had used the bell you can't be blamed for not wanting to come to the door with a baby on the breast. Would have loved to see their faces though, if you had. grin

nickelbabe Tue 05-Feb-13 13:23:17

milly I love it grin

(pedant wants to say "five minutes or fewer")

Blue - maybe they're not allowed to use the bell? wink

glad you sorted out your clash.

niminypiminy Tue 05-Feb-13 17:49:14

Blue have pm-ed you

niminypiminy Tue 05-Feb-13 18:05:19

Milly that's fantastic especially the bit where the PowerPoint slides with the words don't synch with the song. Not that that has ever happened at my church. Oh no.

Tuo Tue 05-Feb-13 23:34:09

Ladies and ... erm ... other ladies...

I would like to announce...

... that I have ironed my alb. Without burning a hole in it, putting a crease where no crease should be, or otherwise ruining the thing. Phew! [Mops forehead]

MaryBS Wed 06-Feb-13 08:22:41

Yay TUO! Watch out for candles when you are wearing it, I burnt the sleeve of mine in a candle flame!

<wonders why using a door knocker is rude>
<further thought is that if you are using a door bell, its not always possible to tell when it has rung, so sometimes have to ring again...and again...>

Yes watch the sleeves they get everywhere!

Hope the appointment with the DDO goes well bluetinkerbell. My blurted all sorts of rubblish at the first interview then burst into tears in the car park. Not a good start but 6 years later I'm in my curacy and loving it (mostly.)

I have to take the cat to the vet now to be put down as he is very ill with kidney disease and we thought we would have him till Easter but he took a turn for the worse last night. Oh and a service straight after. At moments like this I say thank you for BCP as the words just need saying and there is no singing to make me tearful. sad

niminypiminy Wed 06-Feb-13 09:06:54

Greenheart <need prayer emoticon>

Aww greenheart much love it is hard saying goodbye to a well-loved pet! I held my childhood cat when he was put down at the old age of 16.

I've already met the DDO informally a few times, when he came to do services so it's not all completely scary!

mary using a door knocker isn't rude! I don't have one though! I think using the letter box is rude! You can ring doorbell first and if no reply then try letter box to check! wink

nickelbabe Wed 06-Feb-13 11:46:12

Mary - yy - those doorbells that don't make a sound outside are soooo annoying! you stand there thinking, did that go off? shall I ring it again or wait? how long should I wait for before i ring again in case they're taking their time getting to the door and they think i'm being rude ringing and ringing and ringing? etc.

nickelbabe Wed 06-Feb-13 11:52:57

greenheart - sorry about your cat. sad

We lost Johan just after christmas, and Sebastian died yesterday morning.

They were brothers and had never been separated, so when Jo died, Seb just wasted away.
Seb had been on medication for a hyperthyroid, but obviously it did no good, and he gave up.

This thread is not accepting new messages.