Cool Choirs, Clappy Choruses, Cringy Coffee: Religion Chat Thread No 5

(1000 Posts)
madhairday Sun 09-Sep-12 16:16:19

I thought seeing as our other thread has gone somewhere into the oblivion that is old MN pages, I would start us up again anew for a new term. This is a place for those who are Christians (and anyone who's not, we're not an exclusive little club) grin to chat about life, theology, church, any other stuff and of course Graham Kendrick, as nickel would not forgive me if I forgot to mention him grin

So all welcome, old and new, it would be fun to chat and chew over anything that comes to mind. Lurkers say hello!

Anyone got a nice juicy topic to get the ball rolling then? Or if not come say hi anyway and tell us how you are doing. smile

niminypiminy Mon 28-Jan-13 09:17:57

That's a hard piece to do well -- needs well blended voices and everybody to be in tune. Well done them!

GingerCurl Mon 28-Jan-13 09:44:48

That is a beautiful peace Greenheart. Beautiful recording, too. I have sung this many years ago. Thank you for reminding us of it.

MadHairDay Mon 28-Jan-13 14:04:29

niminy I coudn't open your Rev link, was it the smoothie bar one? grin Loved that one, but wasn't keen on the 'trendy vicar' type, even though my dh is younger and trendier grin - it was the characterisation and the parody of it all I think.

Kay, so glad it was good and that the dc enjoyed it. Glad to hear about the chink of light - if you want to explore that further please feel free to here - or just to sit back and let it happen for a while smile

I'm not in full agreement re lectionary versus sermon series. I've been in churches that do both and the jury is still out a bit. I see the importance of the parts of the bible that get ignored and the lectionary covers (although some churches do well at ignoring them even with the lectionary readings) but think sermon series' can be excellent for good consistent teaching, where one week may build on the next and there can be a good development of thought/deeper discipleship type thing. I think if sermon series are done well they can be a good thing.

nickelbabe Mon 28-Jan-13 14:11:08

greenheart - i've done that piece! grin

nickelbabe Mon 28-Jan-13 14:13:23

although, at the time, we had a few more choristers, and our organ is renowned as being one of the best organs tonally in the south of England.

nickelbabe Mon 28-Jan-13 14:15:53

I have to say, I like doing a Sermon Series.
I think it's lovely to follow a story through - the lectionary is fabulous and great for seasons and exploring themes, but a Sermon Series means you can get to grips with something and study it in depth.

I don't believe Sermon Series should be done in the calendar over other things though - we had this happen to us, and it meant that important bits were glossed over or ignored because they clashed with the Sermon Series.
Sermon Series should only be done in Ordinary Time.

niminypiminy Mon 28-Jan-13 14:57:11

Yes, MHD, the link was to the Jesus Smoothies episode. It wasn't the trendy young vicar I was thinking (although I love the bit where Olivia Colman - who I think is utterly beautiful btw - says 'what a knob-end ... good looking though')' but the crowds of shiny young people suddenly arriving, and the faded, disgruntled old parishioners leaving. Sigh.

Actually I don't think sermon series are all bad. A few years ago we had a long one which went through the Pentateuch and the history books of the OT. That was really interesting, and played to the Vicar's strengths as he's an OT expert. And actually, the sin/judgement/atonement ones will be fine too. One thing he does well, when his heart is in it, is a sermon.

I was just cross yesterday because of the lack of people skills on display. But today I'm feeling less crabby and have actually had an apologetic email. And he was sympathetic when I told him that it's difficult for my dcs to come to church because ds1 (the one with Asperger syndrome) is getting called hurtful names by some of the children we are all - and I as children's co-ordinator - have been working so hard to welcome in church sad. It would have been better if he'd been indignant, or promised to take some action, but there we are.

nickelbabe Mon 28-Jan-13 15:05:30

sympathetic?
that's all you got from him?
that's what I'd call pathetic.

I can't believe he didn't even offer to do anything about it!
church is supposed to be all inclusive. what kind of message is he giving?! sad

Done some more adjustments to the new website holycross.bilbrook.info you can now listen to our services! Yesterday's service was for Education Sunday and we had the music group and lots of children making noise music

nickelbabe Mon 28-Jan-13 16:22:27

clicky link

it's a beautiful website, Blue
so clean and sensible looking - means you can actually see what's happening.

I don't like the design of our website - well, it looks okay, but it's a bogger to put new stuff on because of the way its code works.

nickelbabe Mon 28-Jan-13 16:30:04

have to say, though, I find that style of service bit cringy! (sorry, Blue, it's weird talking like this now I'm listening to your church, but the whole "everyone stand up on the chairs and wave" is just not my style! )

nickelbabe Mon 28-Jan-13 16:32:30

lovely voice on the cantor in the Gloria.

very brave to sing all that on her own. I would have been wobbling and dying all over the place!

nickelbabe Mon 28-Jan-13 17:20:22

BlueTinkerbell - i'm gonna have to kill you!! SJS SJS

you evil, evil evil....!!

shock

my ears!
my ears!
they're bleeeeeeeeeeding.

GinandJag Mon 28-Jan-13 18:02:05

We have a sermon series, so don't use the lectionary.

When I went to a church that did use the lectionary and so covered 90% of the bible in three years via the daily office, they did not exposit on any of it.

In our church, we learn about the topic in detail. In addition, many of our church family are in home groups or bible study groups and study a different part of the bible in detail over a term.

I like our way of studying the bible smile

Thanks nickel we're using Wordpress for the website. Very user friendly.
grin not all our services are like that! Just the Celebration all-age ones! We had a lot of children from the first school in!
She's great, studies musical theatre at uni! We love that version of the Gloria! DD1 and I were singing it in the afternoon!
I didn't choose the hymns! But it were all very well known ones! wink

newlark Mon 28-Jan-13 20:32:37

We also have sermon series but sometimes they are interrupted by special occasions or they are planned to fit around major festivals - I have to say I have valued being able to get to grips with different books in the bible - and they cover a good range. I'm trying to read the whole bible systematically on my own though struggle sometimes and am in a bible study group too when we tend to focus on one book at a time.

RuckAndRoll Tue 29-Jan-13 07:10:01

hi all. sorry I disappeared for a while, I'm struggling with being pregnant, it's flared up a medical condition and I can't take my usual medication. means I'm in a lot of pain, exhausted, nausea etc, oh and working away from home. so praying little one can hang in there and be healthy given all this.

interesting to see the mix of churches we all come from. ours is a very traditional, high, anglican church which suits dh. the community is so strong I love it anyway. we use the lectionary and have an organist who can make any bit of music sound depressing! jelous of all you with great music!

MadHairDay Tue 29-Jan-13 12:22:51

niminy, one of my girl crushes is Olivia Colman! She's just wonderful isn't she smile Sorry to hear things are so difficult, it's just heartbreaking when your child is singled out like that, and especially when you've worked so hard. Keep on going - I always say to dd, who is dyspraxic and so has some similar issues, you have so much love at home, enough to spill out into those times people are being nasty. sad

Ruck, so sorry to hear that pg is aggravating your condition, do hope things get better for you, hang in there - I had to give up loads of meds in my pgs too, and it was hard, and so exhausting, but worth it smile

I have to have a small operation, I have endometriosis and cervical erosion so just seen the gynae, there is an op which scrapes everything out and cauterizes so things should much improve, but it has to be under general, which is a risk for me with lung disease so I feel a little anxious about it. Have to have some kind of hormone treatment to prepare for it too so beware dh grin In a lot of pain as he did a biopsy on the womb today as well. ouchy. Still, if it all works, I won't have to have a hysterectomy, which would be good.

nickelbabe Tue 29-Jan-13 12:52:35

oh Ruck sorry to hear you're having such problems sad
wine for you wink

nickelbabe Tue 29-Jan-13 12:54:02

mhd - that's a lovely way to think about it. smile

and you having even more medical problems. sad

KayHarker Tue 29-Jan-13 13:34:36

Sorry to hear about the medical issues, they sound grim. Praying the procedure works well for you MHD and for you Ruck.

I'm trying to forget that I have a school run to do in a couple of hours and I'm going to read and have a cup of tea.

Tuo Sun 03-Feb-13 11:57:27

Hello ladies... Have been drowning in work and not on here this week, but had to come and share that I have survived my first service as an acolyte. Holding a candle without wobbling is harder than it looks, I have discovered [feeling guilty for criticising DD2, who's only 10 and about 4 stone wet through, for her wobbly candle-work now]! Still, looking on the bright side, wearing an alb did give me another layer of clothing, so I was marginally less cold this week. Feeling quite pleased with myself now... not for what I did (which was basically follow the other acolyte, get in the way a bit, and hope for the best...) but because I said months ago that I wanted to get more involved and this is one step towards that. smile

Hope you are all well and that you have lovely Candlemas services today.

thanksamillion Sun 03-Feb-13 12:25:33

Well done on the acolyting Tuo and on the acting on getting more involved.

We didn't make it to church this morning sad.

We set out (the nearest church is in the next village) but just past the end of our village we got stuck in the mud and had to wait an hour for someone with a 4x4 to come along and tow us out blush. So we came home again.

nickelbabe Sun 03-Feb-13 14:28:59

grin milly. (sorry)

following in dd2's footsetps tuo smile

We live on site so I have a very short commute to work where it was not as cold as it has been which is a blessing.

We don't have acolytes at the church I'm at now but I did a couple of stints with the candle at college and it isn't as straightforward as it looks.

Two services down, one to go. The next one if the Messy Church Style one and I get to be storyteller and chief sticking and gluing person. I love my job!

This thread is not accepting new messages.