Cool Choirs, Clappy Choruses, Cringy Coffee: Religion Chat Thread No 5

(1000 Posts)
madhairday Sun 09-Sep-12 16:16:19

I thought seeing as our other thread has gone somewhere into the oblivion that is old MN pages, I would start us up again anew for a new term. This is a place for those who are Christians (and anyone who's not, we're not an exclusive little club) grin to chat about life, theology, church, any other stuff and of course Graham Kendrick, as nickel would not forgive me if I forgot to mention him grin

So all welcome, old and new, it would be fun to chat and chew over anything that comes to mind. Lurkers say hello!

Anyone got a nice juicy topic to get the ball rolling then? Or if not come say hi anyway and tell us how you are doing. smile

nickelbabe Sat 19-Jan-13 16:57:46

ooh, sitting on the fence, there greenie wink

Kay - you seem to be more on my side grin (apart from owning a GK album shock)

MadHairDay Sat 19-Jan-13 17:07:07

I agree greenie re Mr Redman being overplayed now. It's all a bit done - I like to seek out new edgy stuff. At the moment I like Charlie Hall and David Crowder Band. And Mumford and Sons because they have some interesting Christian imagery in their songs though not explicitly Christian. Plus I've a hankering for folksy stuff atm.

Nickel you've got most on your side <feels lonely> Any cuddly charismatics out there? grin

nickelbabe Sat 19-Jan-13 17:10:08

i've never heard of Matt Redman (i'm sure that i must have heard something by him, if this is the way you are talking, but the name means nothing)

and i refuse to google.
so nur.

cloutiedumpling Sat 19-Jan-13 17:15:41

I lurk on the nautically themed website but am not a member. Everyone there seems very knowledgable and I am a bit put off from posting. I recognised you there though niminy. There are some posts on it that are quite thought provoking.

MadHairDay Sat 19-Jan-13 17:16:50

Blessed be your name, I will offer up my life, when the music fades? A few of the more well known.

If you're interested wink here's a link to the Father's Song which I made a video for, so you can see it for my video not the song if you want grin

The Father's Song

KayHarker Sat 19-Jan-13 17:30:17

I used to be a charismatic, and then got all heresy-hunter about it after reading John MacArthur books. Now I'm not even a non-charismatic. I do miss it actually.

Dutchoma I'll try and give an account of myself when I can get to the big PC - am on the laptop and it's nearly time for tea smile

Tuo Sat 19-Jan-13 17:33:39

Ah... great idea, Nickel. Invite her to the shop for coffee, and hopefully she'll (a) be persuaded to support your church and (b) buy something. (Win-win situation grin!)

Tuo Sat 19-Jan-13 17:36:37

Not ignoring the musical discussion, just too ignorant to join in. I'm envy of your perfect pitch, though, greenheart. I'm verging on tone deaf, and I hate it... I know that if I were to sing I'd have the 'turn off your hearing aid' effect on people, so I feel too self-conscious to try.

MHD - suffice to say, I am not holding my breath for an invitation for a return visit to Broadcasting House. grin

niminypiminy Sat 19-Jan-13 18:56:04

Hm, who is more overused, St Matt of Redman or His Grace Stuart Townend? Sometimes I think we only ever sing six songs at our church, three by each. Liked your video MHD but I'm a bit allergic to Matt R's singing -- all that breathiness and being only approximately on the note -- we sing along to CDs and he is one of the hardest to sing along to.

This isn't exactly self-promotion, but here is the link to an album my husband made called The Lives of the Saints . He's not a Christian and the songs take a sideways look at some well known and lesser known saints, but I like it <proud>.

niminypiminy Sat 19-Jan-13 18:57:40

(Forgot to say, if you click on the cover image you get into the site, where you can play Saints Top Trumps as you listen to the tracks. )

newlark Sat 19-Jan-13 19:13:21

We have a mixture of traditional and modern (which are often Getty/Townend songs) and a mixture of organ/song group - we only rarely sing a Redman song (my favourite of his is Endless Hallelujah) so they don't seem over used to me at all. GK rarely makes an appearance in our church but I am fond of several of them so play them at home.

thanksamillion Sat 19-Jan-13 19:27:24

Ooh MHD I'm listening to Mumford and Sons on youtube while I'm reading this. It was playing in a shop I was in earlier (have escaped to Romania for the weekend so was stocking up in H&M!) and I thought I'd like to listen to more.
There was also an awesome choir singing outside in the shopping centre so it was a good morning musically grin

KayHarker Sat 19-Jan-13 22:49:07

Right o, why am I an ex-Christian? It's a combination of stuff - partly to do with the kind of Christianity I was involved with. Very father/husband heavy. I believed contraception was a sin and if I'd have kept following down that road I would have ended up in a wheel chair. I have four kids and that's quite enough. But it's taken YEARS to get over the guilt of not having any more after my last. I'm also bisexual which has led to many a crisis of self-identity.

I have felt led many a time to preach about grace (who needs it more than I?) but the church I am part of wouldn't allow it, and tbh, if we're going to take scripture literally, they have a point. All of which led me to not take scripture literally - which kind of meant me realizing that if I didn't take some bits literally, why was I taking any of it?

I still believe in some kind of other - a Personal God of some sort, and I do believe He/She speaks through the bible in some ways, most notably in the person of Jesus, who comes across as radical vagabond in the gospels. I'm not sure 'ex-Christian' fits me. Maybe 'post-Christian' would be better.

I've only had to sit through a couple of sermons from the taking scripture literally standpoint and it was tough so I get why you had to leave KayHarker.

If you feel you have a call to preach then maybe that will lead you to somewhere that will welcome that calling as the majority of churches don't read the Bible literally.

Must get on. I'm trying to ignore the 8am service which I must be present for although in the icey weather it is going to be freezing and I need to find another couple of layers and maybe wear my furry boots under the cassock alb. Oh and thermal socks and gloves if I can get away with it!

Dutchoma Sun 20-Jan-13 11:08:43

Oh Kay, it is so painful to read stories like yours.

I got cured out of taking the Bible literally when someone got me to Google 'Levitical questions'. Of course the Bible is set in time and place and I sincerely believe that the only thing that matters in Scripture is that Jesus loves you and died for you. He approves of you, thinks the world of you and nothing of whatever anybody else says matters. Once that thought sinks in, it changes your life.
I'm sorry that you were in a fellowship that din't 'get' that.

Tuo Sun 20-Jan-13 11:40:28

I'm sorry to hear about your painful experiences, Kay. It may be that you just need to step back and take a little time in order to come back in a way that feels more 'right' for you. My own (un-traumatic) experience (nearly 30 years of agnosticism between my teens and now) is that when the time is right you will know it and the way back will be really clear to you.

Greenheart - your place sounds as cold as ours. I could see my breath in there this morning, and poor dd2, who was on acolyte duty, was frozen solid. We are supposed to be getting under-floor heating, as part our current building and renovation works. I really hope it works, as I've been out of there for an hour now and my feet are only just starting to thaw.

Feeling uplifted, though, despite the cold. [Beatific smile]

Tuo Sun 20-Jan-13 12:01:04

Blimey... that uplifted feeling was shortlived. Someone on another thread has just described my dd's confirmation as 'disgusting'. I'm quite upset by that... I mean, I know that different churches have different norms for these things (as we've discussed above), and that there are arguments for waiting, which I understand. But, well, I wouldn't describe a child choosing to make a public acknowledgement of her faith as 'disgusting', would you? sad

Dutchoma Sun 20-Jan-13 12:09:00

Oh TUO take no notice.Your dd2's faith is precious to her, as is your faith to you. Fix your eyes upon Jesus, He said let the children come to me. As someone else on that thread said:"Children often have a greater understanding than adults". I wish my ds had been allowed his baptism at 7, that was the time he believed and I wish it had been acknowledged.

No but the nastiest discussion I've ever been part of was when Christians decided on the fate of my immortal soul (God was obviously having a day off) based on my decision to have my babies baptised rather than waiting until they were older.

Online culture is very aggressive. This board is not moderated as far as I can see which means that anyone can be as nasty as they like. I've been shocked at the vitriol aimed at Christians by non believers. The usual inter Christian unpleasantness I'm used to now. Still horrible when it is aimed at you though.

Tuo Sun 20-Jan-13 12:33:33

Thanks both. I try not to get involved in the more vitriolic Christians vs Atheists debates (I can get that at home for free!), but wasn't expecting it on that particular thread. I feel better now I've responded, though, and I'm happy in my own heart of hearts that it was the right thing for my dd. Sad that you've been on the receiving end of what sounds like a far more horrible discussion, greenheart.

Dutchoma Sun 20-Jan-13 12:50:07

You can always ask MN to delete. I don't think they are very happy at people taking pot shots at Christians, but I have not tried it myself. I get out before it gets too nasty blush

Tuo Sun 20-Jan-13 12:57:14

I don't think I'm going to do that, as it wasn't a personal attack, and actually I'm happy to let my answer on the thread stand as a rebuttal.

Have you warmed up, greenheart? Have you got snow where you are?

MaryBS Sun 20-Jan-13 13:05:53

I got called a "Liberal" by another Christian on another board and it made my day! They didn't mean it as a compliment, but I took it as such because there WAS a time where I was a very judgy sort of Christian, it shows how far my faith has progressed grin

KayHarker Sun 20-Jan-13 13:16:39

MaryBS grin It's kind of nice to realize how far you've come

Just about warmed up. My word it was cold. There is a terrible draught where the clergy and servers sit. I'm thinking that I need to get fingerless gloves for those days when it is this parky. We have about 4-5 inches of snow here and I'm hoping not much more falls as there are two funerals next week and many of our older members who would have come to the one on Monday are very nervous about coming out onto the icy pavements.

How about you?

This thread is not accepting new messages.