God was most definitely here this evening

(121 Posts)
Zipitydooda Tue 14-Aug-12 20:24:47

He answered my prayer. I am so sure.

This sounds a bit crazy but I am on my own with no one I can speak to about it at the moment and I had to write it down.

headinhands Fri 17-Aug-12 14:08:48

Should I set a reminder and ask her at a later date? How long to wait to make sure making alternative suggestions for what the op thinks is a miracle could not be construed as flippant. Are you really suggesting that anyone should be able to assert anything without anyone questioning the logic behind their assumption. No one has suggested what happened wasn't dreadful. No one has made light of such loss. We have made alternative suggestions for what the op believes is divine intervention. That does not detract from how pleased we are that op's friend and her new baby are doing well.

ginmakesitallok Fri 17-Aug-12 14:20:37

If god exists sometimes he answers prayers and sometimes he doesn't. Who knows why? Maybe the prayers weren't sincere enough? Maybe he's teaching someone a lesson? Maybe he's just being random and uncaring? any of these make him a bit of a c**t in my books and I think you should all leave the bastard

chipmonkey Fri 17-Aug-12 21:40:33

on the other hand, I have a sister with severe special needs. She is also impossible to argue with. It's a fine line....

chipmonkey Fri 17-Aug-12 21:44:07

And if you believe, then the first baby is with God and her mother will meet him/her again.

Since I lost my own child, most people on MN have been very kind about her death and the fact that I believe I will meet her again. Some of the kind people were believers and some were atheists.

Some, however were spectacularly nasty. They were ALL atheists.

seeker Fri 17-Aug-12 23:13:02

Chip monkey- I am very sorry about your loss- you must be heartbroken.

You have also made any discussion impossible- was that your intention?

TheFogHorn Fri 17-Aug-12 23:20:47

Sorry for being logical as I know it makes it almost impossible to deal with me...but....

Had this lady been the one to lose her baby then I think I would have buttoned my lip. However, this woman was talking about her friend. Also, her emphasis was on the current baby and not the one who died. I wanted to remind her that she needs to keep in mind the one who died when deciding whether prayer works or whether a god is responsible for how people die and when.

When people post controversial things on a public forum they have to anticipate opposition. You need to get used to the fact belief in god or even just prayer is controversial. For millenia, people who didn't like it were burnt at the stake. Before that, I suspect they were thrown into volcanoes. Now, of course, we are allowed to say what we want. The problem is, not many people feel able to say what they want to say due to the fear of ridicule, social ostracism and even physical violence. That makes talking on forums the only feasible option. That is not the fault of the 'spiteful' atheists.

Despite you not being keen on me speaking my mind, you seem to have back peddled and are now saying you're not sure if god exists or if prayer works. What this reveals is that I feel more comfortable speaking my mind than do you. You would prefer to bullshit rather than say it as it is. Your claim to want to shield the OP from my 'spitefulness' is a sham. The truth is, you want to shield yourself from the discussion because you find it too uncomfortable.

I don't want people reading online a one-sided version of a prayer experience along with raputurous applause from lots of people who, mostly, are just going along with it out of habit and fear of being true to themselves. That just spreads the supersticious mentality that keeps religions going.

Hopefully now more people are thinking hard about the conflict in prayer belief, which was my aim.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 17-Aug-12 23:30:16

How has Chipmunk's comment make further discussion impossible?

FizzyLaces Fri 17-Aug-12 23:30:44

This thread is like every conversation I have with my family. Very glad the baby is well. x

seeker Fri 17-Aug-12 23:33:40

Dione- because to challenge the belief of someone in her position really would be spiteful.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 17-Aug-12 23:41:07

It was. I remember the thread and it was so nasty that it lead to a Safe Haven thread being started and still some people took quite a mocking tone.sad

I was shocked that some atheists could be so inhumane in the face of someone sharing their thoughts and feelings at such a difficult time, just because they believed differently. A similar thing has happened on this thread. I'm not really sure why they did it, instead of simply beginning another thread debating beliefs.

seeker Fri 17-Aug-12 23:45:44

"A similar thing has happened on this thread"

No. It hasn't.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 17-Aug-12 23:56:47

Yes it is. You want to discuss the fragility of Christian beliefs, then start a thread on it. It is at best tactless and at worst spiteful to do so on a thread started by someone who wanted to share her thoughts and feelings regarding a sick child.

seeker Sat 18-Aug-12 00:13:26

There is a huge difference between somebody dealing with the death of their own child and somebody saying they know
that god intervened to save a friend's child because they think a clock moved.

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 18-Aug-12 00:21:45

There is a difference, yes. But without knowing about the relationship between the OP and her friend you cannot possibly ascertain the extent of that difference.

seeker Sat 18-Aug-12 00:28:52

No. But you have to make a judgement. Or Christians are completely unchallengeable. Which if course they wouldn't want. Would they?

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 18-Aug-12 00:36:00

Why do you have to make a judgement?
Why not just start another thread?confused

TheFogHorn Sat 18-Aug-12 00:39:00

Dione

The OP was not discussing her sense of loss at her friend's baby's death but at her delight at having been instrumental in the saving of her friend's baby. Am I right in saying the first baby died during gestation and quite some time ago? To suggest this friend is in a such a terrible state she's unable to handle any challenge to her supernatural beliefs is melodramatic.

Let's focus on the issue the OP wanted us to know.......her and god having a hand in the saving of a baby.

Will you now answer me this question? Did a lack of prayer have anything to do with the death of the unborn baby?

seeker Sat 18-Aug-12 00:39:16

Because I will get called spiteful, a Christian Basher or a c**t. As usual.

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 18-Aug-12 00:47:08

Wow Seeker, I am shock. I was unaware that it was usual here to call anyone a cunt! How many times has it happened to you on this forum?

seeker Sat 18-Aug-12 00:51:44

Only once. It was enough. A bizarrely unchristian thing to do, I thought, nut it closed down the discussion pretty damn quick. As it was intended to do.

seeker Sat 18-Aug-12 00:54:18

And now, as you don't think the discussion should be stopped, please will you address foghorn's point?

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 18-Aug-12 00:59:40

Just a couple of things Seeker,
Firstly, it is not usual for you to be called a cunt here.
Secondly, why do you think that these things will happen in a thread started by you, but not one started by a poster talking about her feelings regarding a personal experience that is then hijacked?

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 18-Aug-12 01:04:15

Oh, I don't read any of Foghorn's posts.

seeker Sat 18-Aug-12 01:09:10

The op said that she knew God was present because her son said a clock moved. Are we supposed to leave that unchallenged?

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 18-Aug-12 01:13:03

Do you know that god wasn't?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now