DD seems to know all about my past. Very, very odd.

(170 Posts)
FredQuimby Tue 12-Jun-12 15:38:38

This has been going on for ages, but I've only just really had the nerve to post about it. >Deep breath<

DD (four years old), says some very odd things. She tells me about my life and these are things she couldn't possibly know. For example, "Do you remember when you used to walk along the little lane and saw the pony and the heron?" - something that used to happen regularly to me when I was about six years old, walking to school with my mum and brother (it was a real horse and a plastic heron!). Also, things like we'll go to a car boot sale and she'll say it's like the jumble sales in the church when uncle >name< was a little boy and he bought a great big Mr Tickle jigsaw but some pieces were missing. This is again something that happened to me as a child. She told everyone in her Nursery that I'd fallen in the kitchen and had stitches in my head. She told them that the doctor was weaing a turban. Again, that happened when I was tiny and she would never have known about it. Another thing is that she identified a distant relative in a photo "Uncle >name<" and she would never have met him or heard about him, to my knowledge.

There are loads and loads of incidences like this. My mum thinks it's very weird and is confused by it. My brother thinks I must be telling her things without knowing I'm doing it.

I don't know why I'm posting really. This doesn't cover it at all, but there are far too many examples to include.

Has anyone else had any experience of this sort of weirdness??

P.S. I don't believe in re-incarnation or anything at all like that, so I'm not suggesting that sort of thing.

TigerseyeMum Tue 23-Oct-12 20:37:51

It's fascinating. Reminded me of when I was 8 my grandad died. My cousin, who was 2 years older, dreamt that night about him and told her mum in detail about his shop and the items he sold.

None of us grand kids knew about his early life and work, as far as we knew he had always been a coal miner. My auntie nearly passed out and the family kind of hushed it up as they thought it was so wierd. Of course my cousin could have heard about my granddads shop but she described it in detail as if she had been in it.

It's odd. No explanation at all.

DameEnidsOrange Sat 13-Oct-12 00:01:32

When DS was about 4 he saw a photo of my Mum's childhood home in another country. (He had never been there, and has ASD so had only just started talking)

He looked at it and told her that it was his house that he built when he was her Dad, and went on to describe how hard it was to get the range cooker into the kitchen; talked about the day that they had electricity fitted, the well in the garden that was the water source for the house and some other things that he could never possibly have known.

Another one recommending Carol Bowman.

I read this one in my teens and it has stayed with me.

Really interesting thread!!

blondebaby111 Thu 27-Sep-12 17:57:24

some children are known to be quite pyschic and then as they get older they lose the ability. I certainly think your dd is one of these children. i find this really fascinating and it sounds like shes definately been here before

CakeandRoses Sun 23-Sep-12 23:43:49

lovely thread.

ds (nearly 4) and I have a bit of a connection like this but nowhere near as amazing as yours and your DD's, OP.

ds just kind of reads my mind - the most recent example: I was putting him in his car seat and I was thinking about my hair colour (as you do) and he said "what colour is your hair, mummy?" (it's reddy brown if anyone's interested ;) )

I wonder, up to what age this occurs in children.?Do the memories stay with them.

dyzzidi Fri 24-Aug-12 23:13:47

Wow some amazing story's on this thread.

Sossiges Fri 24-Aug-12 22:54:11

Going back to read this thread now but have you heard of Carol Bowman? I find her books fascinating. The first two books on this page.

whatsthehurry Fri 24-Aug-12 22:42:19

About 2 years ago, when my gson was 6, we went for a walk a short drive away from where he lives. This was an area I used to live in about 20 years ago, and I was showing him a lovely cottage that I used to lust after in those days. His reply was"one day, I'll take you and show you where I used to live". I replied"you have always lived at mums" - he was born at home, but he replied"no, where I lived before mums' house". His dad, my son, died one month before he was born, and I always wonder whether he was referring to where his dad used to live.
He also had a conversation on one of his mums' old mobiles when he was about 20 months old, and wasn't really talking well. We (his mum and I) overheard him agreeing that ladders are very dangerous, and distinctly heard him say "that's what happened to me". His dad died after falling off a ladder.

sashh Wed 22-Aug-12 05:33:24

Tap dancing

That's interesting. I do a sort of wiggle with my feet to get to sleep. I found out (as an adult) my father and brother do it too so I think it's inherited.

From what I've read, I think the genetic memory theory is more concerned with certain characteristics and abilities being inherited from our parents/ancestors as opposed to inheriting their actual memories and/or life experiences. I would suggest therefore that OP's experiences can't be explained by this theory...and unfortunately I'm not intelligent enough to offer an alternative smile

sashh Tue 21-Aug-12 07:23:12

Interesting but not uncommon.

In India it is seen as the child being a reincarnation, and in a culture where the majority of people are Hindu it makes sense.

I like the idea of memory being passed through the cells though. I know there are cases of transplant recipients taking on some characteristic of their donor, things like suddenly not liking a food the donor hated.

kissyfur Mon 20-Aug-12 22:00:15

Thank you for sharing OP and others, fascinating stuff!

Pinot Mon 20-Aug-12 20:04:52

marking place (hello fbf!)

Bump

I remember having a book about children like this,

this one

Lent it to a work-mate and never got it back.
Going to read rest of thread now, sorry if it's already been mentioned. Fascinating stuff

Great thread! I have nothing to add though sad

Flaneuse Thu 14-Jun-12 10:41:28

This is such an interesting thread - some fascinating and really moving stories. I'm not at all 'woo', but I do think there is so much we don't understand - and I love the idea of inherited memory through our genes.

When my DS was little, and just starting to talk, he used to tell us about when he was born - he'd say things like "when I was a baby, in the sea, and I came out with a pop". He did indeed "pop" out very fast when he was born, but we had never described pregnancy and birth to him.

chipmonkey Thu 14-Jun-12 10:04:34

Wow, mummy!

Actually that reminds me of something ds1 said.
I was staying with my Mum when ds1 was around 5 weeks old. My Mum had a tiny little red basin and it was the handiest thing to give ds1 a bath in but it was barely big enough for him even at that size and neither he nor his brothers ever had a bath in it since.

Then when he was around nine he told me that he remembered being bathed in a tiny red tub in my Mum's living room. I had never mentioned the little tub to him.

I wonder about ds1 sometimes. When he was four months old, one day I was changing his nappy and chatting to him. I said "How ARE you!" in a sing-song voice and he said "Ha AH ya!" back to me. Never, ever said it again even though I tried to get him to, many times!

redrubyshoes Thu 14-Jun-12 09:58:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummymccar Thu 14-Jun-12 09:51:05

I can clearly remember being a baby and being put into the car seat in the back. As I was going passed it I can clearly remember pulling the ball off the top of the gear stick (it was already loose), dropping it, and watching it roll under the front passenger seat. We had that car when I was about 1 and when I told my parents this memory it turns out that every detail was exactly correct.

Mjtay Thu 14-Jun-12 09:20:42

Absolutely love all these stories. It's wonderful! Xxx

chipmonkey Thu 14-Jun-12 00:25:42

I remember driving into a river or a canal with my parents and the car sinking under the water. That never actually happened in this life but I remember it very vividly. There was a bridge up ahead and the water was running very fast and very high.

BabyGiraffes Wed 13-Jun-12 23:25:49

I 'remember' lying in a white pram in the garden hearing birds and those small propeller planes. Hearing a small plane still makes me think of early summer and makes me feel peaceful. I was born in Feb so I can't have been more than a few months old.

My older dd has several imaginary friends and one of them tells her things she cannot possibly know or have the vocabulary for.

Fascinating thread.

I'm 44 and still to this day have a memory, that I can still see, from when I was 1 year old. But, it could be my DM's memory as she was holding me at the time and saw what I saw.

I can remember looking out of a window and seeing a bus driving towards us. I remember being frightened that it was going to crash into us and then it suddenly turned and drove past the window. I remember being high up and being able to see people sitting in seats and seeing the roof of the bus. I mentioned it to my DM a few years back and she looked at me like shock

My DP's went on holiday when I was about 1. The cottage they stayed in was on a bus route and from the bedroom window you could see cars and the occasional bus driving towards it and then about 30 yards ahead they would turn and pass directly in front of the cottage as they went past. My DM remembers trying to calm me when I woke and holding me whilst looking out of the window. She is adamant that that is the only place that they have ever stayed in where I could ever have had that view. I've no idea how I remember it but I still do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now