DD seems to know all about my past. Very, very odd.

(170 Posts)
FredQuimby Tue 12-Jun-12 15:38:38

This has been going on for ages, but I've only just really had the nerve to post about it. >Deep breath<

DD (four years old), says some very odd things. She tells me about my life and these are things she couldn't possibly know. For example, "Do you remember when you used to walk along the little lane and saw the pony and the heron?" - something that used to happen regularly to me when I was about six years old, walking to school with my mum and brother (it was a real horse and a plastic heron!). Also, things like we'll go to a car boot sale and she'll say it's like the jumble sales in the church when uncle >name< was a little boy and he bought a great big Mr Tickle jigsaw but some pieces were missing. This is again something that happened to me as a child. She told everyone in her Nursery that I'd fallen in the kitchen and had stitches in my head. She told them that the doctor was weaing a turban. Again, that happened when I was tiny and she would never have known about it. Another thing is that she identified a distant relative in a photo "Uncle >name<" and she would never have met him or heard about him, to my knowledge.

There are loads and loads of incidences like this. My mum thinks it's very weird and is confused by it. My brother thinks I must be telling her things without knowing I'm doing it.

I don't know why I'm posting really. This doesn't cover it at all, but there are far too many examples to include.

Has anyone else had any experience of this sort of weirdness??

P.S. I don't believe in re-incarnation or anything at all like that, so I'm not suggesting that sort of thing.

CamelKnees Tue 12-Jun-12 20:11:06

Sorry, dont have any answers but I am completely fascinated by this.

Did anybody see this. Found it VERY interesting

LeBonkeyMollocks Tue 12-Jun-12 20:15:42

Marking place to read through later. smile

FredQuimby Tue 12-Jun-12 20:17:56

That looks very interesting, Camel!

DD doesn't say that she was in any of the events, she always says it's me and asks if I remember them. She unfortunately tells people things (like the doctor with the turban incident) as though they're currently happening though. For example, she told her little friend that my dad had locked me in the garage and I was scared. My dad accidentally locked me in the garage when I was playing outside about thirty years ago! I'd never mentioned it to anyone, as it was a non-event, I was only in there a few minutes before he realised. In fact I'd completely forgotten about it until I heard them talking about it while they were playing.

She's never said she was there and when I ask how she knows, she says she doesn't know.

ElephantsStreetParty Tue 12-Jun-12 20:22:09

I used to freak my mum out when I was wee by randomly saying things she was thinking about. And it wasn't in situations which had an obvious trigger (eg programmes we were watching tv) but would come right out the blue. It ggot to the point she'd deliberately avoid thinking about things she didn't want me to know about, as this happened too often to be mere coincidence.

I started doing this again when I was a teenager. She was not impressed!

FredQuimby Tue 12-Jun-12 20:23:16

Sorry to keep posting, but it's so great to 'talk' about this!

It's the details that she comes out with that unnerve me. She remembers the kitchen flooring in our first house (no photos - we didn't have a camera then); she mentions the day we had sweets from Greece at school and what they tasted like; she said something about a purple shoebox that had candles in it - which was our neighbour over thirty years ago. Smells seem to trigger a lot for her, such as the floor in the place I did ballet and a museum that we used to go to when we were very young.

As I mentioned, the random words for things are probably the most spooky to me, as I've never told anybody about them. I know this is strange, but some shape of privet hedge reminds me of the name Gemma. DD called them Gemma plants when we walked past some the other day. I've definitely never told anyone about that (or the many, many other things that she comes out with).

CamelKnees Tue 12-Jun-12 20:25:03

Bloody hell Fred! I find it very hard to rationalise all of this. I do think there is a lot we just don't know.

Her talking about it from your point of view does seem to support the suggestion that she's somehow aware of your memories rather than just knowing of the events

cocolepew Tue 12-Jun-12 20:26:07

My DD didn't say anything else wooy after the age of 4 but she knows every fricking song in the world.

A song from years ago will come on the radio and she starts singing along straight away. If you ask her how she knows it she always says I just do.

DairyNips Tue 12-Jun-12 20:26:55

Wow this is fascinating, you should definitely write these downsmile

FredQuimby Tue 12-Jun-12 20:27:45

Yes, she seems to be aware of things from my point of view, rather than just the events themselves, although there are some things that I don't have any memory of.

In every other way, she's completely normal. I promise! grin

TheMonster Tue 12-Jun-12 20:30:04

Fred, I am amazed at how much you remember stuff!

I do believe that souls carry on and I think this is something to do with that side of things. Do write it down because your DD may well find it very interesting when she is older.

FredQuimby Tue 12-Jun-12 20:33:14

For some reason I'm resistant to writing it all down and I don't really know why. I suppose it's because it's acknowledging how weird it is, although of course I'm doing that right now anyway!

TheMonster Tue 12-Jun-12 20:36:09

Keep a copy of the thread somewhere then please. YOu might regret it if you don't.
(I don't mean that to sound like a threat grin)

Angelico Tue 12-Jun-12 20:37:47

Really fascinating. I do think kids know things in some instinctive way that us supposedly rational adults can't quite grasp.

Not quite the same but my mum lost her father (my GD) when she was a very young child. He had been in the house for a year slowly dying of cancer. My granny told me that mum used to get sent to stay with relatives every few days just to get away from the misery of it all. She would chat to him before she went but never say goodbye just kind of skip out. On this particular day she went in to the bedroom where GD was and apparently just gave him this really long look and said "Bye bye daddy," then calmly left. Granny was a bit bemused but dismissed it as GD seemed the same as every day - but he died very suddenly that night.

Think it freaked my granny out a bit afterwards - certainly she was telling me about it 40 years later and admitted she'd always wondered how mum had 'known'.

Gemtubbs Tue 12-Jun-12 20:38:51

Amazing. My ds often talks about when he used to be a girl, but I don't take any notice. haha

A cousin of mine did something similar. 4 years old, went into the playroom of my Nan's house, came out ten minutes later with all of these family secrets and quirks and random information. Nan asked her how she knew and she said that the lady had told her in the bedroom and pointed out to where everything was in that room. The house had belonged to my Nan's mother, she died and Nan took the house. The playroom had been her mother's bedroom and the child was born months after the mother had died. No photos existed of the bedroom as the mother had a thing about cameras. It still freaks me out and the child's mother denies it to this day!

& only a couple of years ago my Nan's adopted daughter freaked out one night in her bedroom at around 2am. Next day my Nan discovered that adopted daughters biological Mum had been found dead, time of death was around the time she woke (not 100% sure).

Kids just seem to know these things sometimes, it's very weird!

Wow, this is so fascinating! I definitely think you should record it all, I'd hope your daughter would be fascinated by it too when she's older, especially as she may stop doing it.

FredQuimby Tue 12-Jun-12 20:48:17

The thing is that I do want her to stop doing it. It's strange and she might get picked on if an 'outsider' finds out and also there are plenty of things that I don't want my daughter to know about! Nothing major, but personal, private stuff. I don't want her telling people about that I wet myself in the supermarket, for example! By the way, I was three years old then!

FaceForRadio Tue 12-Jun-12 20:49:30

Very interesting indeed.

Perhaps as dd grows older she'll be able to (at least try) to process these thoughts/memories so that you might get a better insight as to where/who they're coming from.

Although it seems very odd and it may freak you out, please don't stifle her as she'll become scared of these and in time it could be something she never shares with you.

I think you and your dd have a very special bond.

FredQuimby Tue 12-Jun-12 20:54:23

Oh, I don't try to stop her because I don't want her to realise that it's odd. It's difficult to ignore though and sometimes I want her to keep talking, especially if it's about my dad, but I don't want to push her in case she starts making things up because she thinks I want her to talk. Also, I suppose I'm not keen on encouraging it, as I say, I don't want her to be aware of every detail of my life. Mostly for privacy but also because there are a lot of sad feelings around my dad being ill, my mum not coping well and the loneliness and panic that I felt for a long time etc.

FredQuimby Tue 12-Jun-12 20:55:24

By the way, I'm not one to dwell on my childhood at all. I don't talk to her much about it. We're busy and get on with life. smile

ledkr Tue 12-Jun-12 20:59:50

Ooo Ive got the teary eye thing going on at this thread.
My boy once announced he was <name> and told me where he used to live.It was the name of a boy in our town who was murdered aged 18 just before ds was born and he did live at the street he pointed out.

I chose to just put it down to weirdness and put it to the back of my mind.

I think that your story is definately odd and cannot be explained rationally. Why dont you ask a medium?

Mjtay Tue 12-Jun-12 21:01:24

Just been thinking about this while I showered!! And I'm sure this is ur dads contact. Has ur dd seen photos of him, and how does she react to him?! So lovely he's with u both xxx

FaceForRadio Tue 12-Jun-12 21:06:44

Just what I was thinking Mjtay.

Perhaps this explains why the memories are from when your dad was still here.

Nothing to add except 'wow!' this is really fascinating, and whilst at the time it must be a little freaky when she comes out with your memories, is it not also wonderful that you get to re-live bits and bobs that you may have forgotten?

It's really really interesting.

FredQuimby Tue 12-Jun-12 21:10:03

I haven't been to see anyone about it. I don't honestly believe in mediums etc and have no real reason to think it's anything to do with my dad. It's just a coincidence that the 'memories' stop when he died. A lot of the events involve him, but they would at that age. A month or so ago, DD identified a wild flower and said that my dad had told me what it was when we'd seen them on a walk one morning when my brother and mum were asleep (we used to get up early at the weekend and go for walks). I checked the name of the flower out online when we got home and she was right. I suppose she could have heard this from someone else though, but it's the sort of thing my dad would have said. There are so many examples, but it's so hard to describe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now