How much does it cost to have a dog put to sleep......and will vets wait for the payment? :-(

(15 Posts)
immortalbeloved Tue 01-Sep-09 16:00:45

I'm so sorry to be asking such a horrible question sad

But I could really do with knowing how much having my darling dog put to sleep and cremated would be (she has cancer sad )

Also if you can't afford it there and then will some vets wait for the payment?

Any answers much appreciated

CMOTdibbler Tue 01-Sep-09 16:03:12

I think its usually between 70 and 100 pounds (depending on cremation charges). Our vets have always invoiced us later for this, so would have a month or so to pay

norktasticninja Tue 01-Sep-09 16:05:03

I'd think a vet would be prepared to accept payment in installments in such circumstances. It's well worth asking.

I'm sorry to hear your dog is so ill.

throckenholt Tue 01-Sep-09 16:05:19

we paid £45 a couple of weeks ago (). We just had the injection and brought her home and buried her (we have a big garden).

Friends said they had to pay £65 a few years ago - so it varies.

It will obviously cost more if they have to deal with cremation etc.

Vets may well have an option to pay in installments - probably worth asking. An alternative may be a charity (blue cross ?) - not sure - sorry.

immortalbeloved Tue 01-Sep-09 16:07:57

Thank you so much for your answers

We've known our girl has cancer for a little while so I've been 'saving up' for the costs (we have pet insurance which has covered the rest of her treatment) but the time has come now I think, and though I know money should be the last thing on my mind I can't help worrying about it too sad

immortalbeloved Tue 01-Sep-09 16:09:48

sorry x posts throckenholt, so sorry about your dog sad

throckenholt Tue 01-Sep-09 16:12:49

mine was 12.5 - she wasn't ill - but suddenly went down hill rapidly over 2 days - we didn't really have time to think about it .

The vet did say they could send us the bill rather than paying straight away - but I just wanted to get it over and done with.

It is sad when it gets to the end - but you have to remember all the past - I am sure you have lots of good memories.

mummylin Tue 01-Sep-09 16:13:25

i think that we paid extra to have our dog cremated on his own and to have the ashes returned to us so we could bury him in the garden.Maybe about £80

beautifulgirls Tue 01-Sep-09 16:51:10

Where I work we charge £45 to put to sleep and the cat to be sent to cremate - this will not have ashes returning to you however. We will usually wait for payment no problem. If however you want ashes returned, then the costs are split between us and the crematorium, and are more - about £30 for our part and approx £100 for the crematorium for a cat. You need to pay the crematorium before they will release the ashes back to the surgery for collection however.
Policy may vary between practices and different crematoria. I would suggest you call your surgery and talk to them about it so there are no surprises on the day.

Sorry to hear your cat is so poorly sad

beautifulgirls Tue 01-Sep-09 16:52:50

Sorry - just read your post again - your dog obviously, not your cat. blush

The costs will vary according to size of the dog.
My labrador was about £160 for crematorium costs for an individual cremation earlier this year. Vet fees would be from £30-60 where I work for the euthanasia part.

Check your insurance policy...mine paid out to cover euthanasia and cremation costs. We did not have the dog returned to us...not sure if policy would have stretched to that.

Hope it all goes peacefully for you.

mummylin Tue 01-Sep-09 23:38:04

just wanted to add ,that we too had to pay the vet to come out and put our dog to sleep,this was beside the money we paid for the cremation and having his ashes back.

I was quoted about £185 just for the cremation shock.
We burried her in the garden instead.

immortalbeloved Wed 02-Sep-09 19:13:28

Thank you all so much for the replies, my girl was put to sleep last night...in fact I'm going to start another thread about it.....

But thank you all for the advice, I didn't have to pay anything at the time, in fact they seemed to think it'd be covered on the insurance? But either way at least I have time, though as I say I feel awful thinking about money at such a horrible time sad

my insurance company was petplan and they paid out for this...take care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now