URGENT: Rabbit been attacked by my dog, she is alive but is not moving. Hurt eye

(70 Posts)
singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 17:36:34

Please help, what can I do that wont involve a vet as I have a cash flow problem. Obviously I will take her if I thinks she is suffering but I think she is in shock, what can I do???

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 17:39:02

???? No rabbit people on?

bella29 Tue 14-Apr-09 17:39:26

The only person who can help her is a vet.

Keep her warm and quiet while you call your vet, right now.

lilymolly Tue 14-Apr-09 17:40:15

warmth, quiet and vet

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 14-Apr-09 17:40:41

I am not a vet - this is not professional advice/opinion

Does she have any visible injuries on her body? Even if she doesn't she could still be bleeding internally. What did the dog do to her? Shake her? She could be badly hurt.

I know you are broke, but you could ring the vet and see if they will agree to treat as emergency and you pay bit by bit - or is the PDSA still around?

you cannot let your animal suffer. The fact she isn't moving would make me fear injury! plus what is the injury to the eye?

LuluisgoingtobeanAunty Tue 14-Apr-09 17:41:18

vet. and explain you are financially embarrassed. PDSA?

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 17:43:28

Of course I would not let my animal suffer. I LOVE my rabbit. My collie has a tendancy to stalk the rabbit but has never gone for her before, my dd's came running in to say that the dog had the rabbit by the head and her eye was closed. I got the rabbit and placed her in a towel and brought her in to investigate her. She didnt even move. Her eye looks a little sore but seems to be ok. I have put the rabbit back outside. Should she be inside wrrapped in a towel in a bunny carrier thing??

bella29 Tue 14-Apr-09 17:45:18

She should be on her way to the vets.

Bye.

LastOrders Tue 14-Apr-09 17:49:14

If she cant move you need to get her back inside and keep her warm and in a quite place whilst you phone the vet.

Shes in shock. the dog couldv'e sethered something on her spine and she is paralysed.

pooka Tue 14-Apr-09 17:50:36

Vets.

LuluisgoingtobeanAunty Tue 14-Apr-09 17:52:04

i thought collies were the sort who went for small animals?

look, your pet is hurt

you need to talk to the vet and explain

your pet needs medical attention

sort it out

LuluisgoingtobeanAunty Tue 14-Apr-09 17:53:17

can;t beleive you;ve put her back outside

get on the phone to the vet now

fishie Tue 14-Apr-09 17:54:55

dog bites often don't break the skin but can do great damage inside. you can't tell how badly the rabbit is injured just by looking.

MuffinBaker Tue 14-Apr-09 17:55:09

You need to take her to the vet now and pay by installments.

Why do people have animals if they can't afford treatment?

Poor rabbit. sad

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 14-Apr-09 17:56:04

Look, you want us to tell you all will be ok, but we can't! Your pet is either badly hurt and dying, or badly shocked (which could kill her anyway) or shaken up and might recover. There's no way to tell.

If you really have no money and can do nothing in terms of getting her to a vet, then bring her back in the house and be with her, she will either live or die depending on her injuries, but you can at least tend to her.

LuluisgoingtobeanAunty Tue 14-Apr-09 17:56:39

i had to take my dog in once for an emergency, i did not get charged as he did not need any treatment, i have alos had telephone consultations with the vet. i thikn they would reather see a sick , hurt animal than not, and i am sure you can pay in installments if lots of treatment is needed

or your rabbit may need to be put down

LastOrders Tue 14-Apr-09 17:57:20
lilymolly Tue 14-Apr-09 17:58:03

oh FFS take her to the vets.

LuluisgoingtobeanAunty Tue 14-Apr-09 17:59:03

i would hope, lastorders, taht the OP would be told to take her attacked and injured rabbit to teh vets rather than attempt an over teh interent diagnosis.

LastOrders Tue 14-Apr-09 17:59:47

singsys hasn't returned so fingers crossed she's on phone to the vets.

bella29 Tue 14-Apr-09 18:00:11

No, don't ask for advice there.

Rabbits can break their backs really easily.

Internal bleeding, lots of possibles.

You need to be at the vets, not on the internet.

LuluisgoingtobeanAunty Tue 14-Apr-09 18:00:47

yes, hope that is the case, LO

LastOrders Tue 14-Apr-09 18:00:57

well she found it more important to jump on here rather than phoning the vet Lulu, so I was only trying to help

LastOrders Tue 14-Apr-09 18:02:46

This is what I don't get with MN.

Some people find it more important to get on here in the case of an emergency than use their logic and get straight to the source.

I've never quite understood that hmm

MuffinBaker Tue 14-Apr-09 18:03:27

some people need back up of what to do. the promble is when they get it and do nothing.

Frillysocks Tue 14-Apr-09 18:07:36

Cant believe you would consider not taking your rabbit to the vet's, that is awful.

And cash flow problems my a* - if you can't afford to keep it you should give it away to someone who can - simple as that.

You come on here asking for DIY treatment, like its a broken bike or something, instead of ringing the vets asap like a responsible pet owner would. You are incredible, in a bad way.

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 14-Apr-09 18:08:34

you're assuming they have logic, LO. Sadly, common sense isn't common any more.

Not necessarily talking about OP - she clearly stated her financial problems as reason why she was looking for alternative help for bunny. But certainly many "my child has chugged down a bottle of bleach, what should I do?" type posts make me wonder how such a person even actually figured out how to turn on the computer to ask hmm

LastOrders Tue 14-Apr-09 18:10:50

Thats the kind of thread I mean Hecate.

MN would be the last thing on my mind if my Dc was in a situation...

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:13:21

I have been outside and got her to assess her before I phoned the vet and she was hopping quite merrily round the garden. I will of course phone the vet for advice regardless, having never experienced this I was unsure as to how easily rabbits went into shock and whether they needed treatment at a vet or just cared for at home until they came too again. That was why I 'jumped on here' first.

I have lots of pets and would never, ever let any of them suffer (I have even had rats to the vet for steroid injections ffs) so dont anyone dare say that I shouldnt have pets if I am not going to look after them. I only know through experience that rats get bloody eyes when they have a cold, it doesnt mean they have to go see a vet and I was just wondering if a rabbit being in shock was the same thing. Thank you to all the kind people who had genuine concern for my rabbit.

She seems ok now but I will of course keep an eye on her and phone the vet for advice.

MuffinBaker Tue 14-Apr-09 18:14:00

when?

apostrophe Tue 14-Apr-09 18:14:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:18:07

And Frillysocks, I didn't come on here looking to be personally attacked. You don't know my situation please do not dare to think that you do and come on here slagging me off and calling me a bad person. I LOVE my animals and was just at a loss what to do about the rabbit having never been in this position before. For all I know rabbits go into shock easily and it is simply a matter of time until they come out of it. I did not ask to be personally attacked and called an 'incredibly bad' person.

apostrophe Tue 14-Apr-09 18:18:07

sorry - thought you were talking half-dead wild rabbit, not a pet - I've asked for my comment to be deleted.

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:19:27

I went out about 30 minutes ago to phone the veet and she was hopping round the garden. I have not been on since as I was keeping an eye on her and feeding the dc's. She is still hopping about.

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:19:59

apostrophe, it ok your thread made me smile.

supergluebum Tue 14-Apr-09 18:20:23

Phoning the vet is free ffs, they see plenty of cats that have been knocked down and seen by passing drivers/pedestrians and don't even think about who to bill. Sorry to be cynical but that was lucky that when you went back out she was hopping about merrily.

ourlot Tue 14-Apr-09 18:20:59

Perhaps get the rabbit a run for future? Dogs and cats can't help their natural instincts. cheaper than pet insurance.
Ha ha apostrophe! When I first read the post I was going to suggest putting out of misery for kindness if really bad, but hopefully it'll be alright.

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:22:35

Yes ok I appreciate that I should have phoned the vet before I came on here but I have had my dog at the vet this week with an infected foot which has cost me and I just wanted to see if I could avoid shelling out more money. I stand corrected that phoning them for advice is free and I should have done it immediately.

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:23:39

She has a run but she breaks out of it. Her and the dog normally just chase each other round the garden dont know what happened today. The dog has never hurt her before.

MuffinBaker Tue 14-Apr-09 18:24:14

So have you phoned the vet?

ourlot Tue 14-Apr-09 18:24:15

Run?

bella29 Tue 14-Apr-09 18:24:54

Yup, there are people who, when their animal gets hurt, think 'what will it cost?' and there are those who think 'how can I make sure they're okay?'.

LastOrders Tue 14-Apr-09 18:25:09

At least the rabbit is ok, but do look out for delayed shock and maybe phone vet for advice?

supergluebum Tue 14-Apr-09 18:27:07

Thank goodness your pet is ok, and I understand the ouch of vet bills, but sometimes we have to suck it up. Did you phone the vet?

Anyway are the kids ok after seeing the dog attack the rabbit???

LastOrders Tue 14-Apr-09 18:28:00

Of course people think 'how much will it cost', just as much as when I come down with flu or illness I think 'not more time off work, I can't afford to lose the money' Its human nature.

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:29:12

The kids seem to be okay thank goodness. TBH my first thought was how can I make her better quickly then I panicked about the money. Maybe I didnt put that too well in my original post.

Thank you for your genuine concern over this.

jollyjoanne Tue 14-Apr-09 18:29:52

Just a note of caution - a cat attacked my rabbit a number of years ago she squealed and the cat left, later that day another cat just walked by and the rabbit had a heart attack and died. She wasn't seriously injured the first time but the shock had obviously been to much for her.

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 14-Apr-09 18:30:05

YOU NEED TO TAKE HER TO THE VET

she will be in shock, she needs to be looked at and checked over after a Dog attack. Why don't you want to take her? hmm

MuffinBaker Tue 14-Apr-09 18:30:55

shock jollyjoanne

that is awful sad

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:32:29

I will post this again just incase people didnt read the full thread.

I have been outside and got her to assess her before I phoned the vet and she was hopping quite merrily round the garden. I will of course phone the vet for advice regardless, having never experienced this I was unsure as to how easily rabbits went into shock and whether they needed treatment at a vet or just cared for at home until they came too again. That was why I 'jumped on here' first.

I have lots of pets and would never, ever let any of them suffer (I have even had rats to the vet for steroid injections ffs) so dont anyone dare say that I shouldnt have pets if I am not going to look after them. I only know through experience that rats get bloody eyes when they have a cold, it doesnt mean they have to go see a vet and I was just wondering if a rabbit being in shock was the same thing. Thank you to all the kind people who had genuine concern for my rabbit.

She seems ok now but I will of course keep an eye on her and phone the vet for advice.

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:32:55

sad about your rabbit jollyjoanne

MuffinBaker Tue 14-Apr-09 18:33:19

got who to assess the rabbit?

it still isn't clear whether you have phoned the vet or not

supergluebum Tue 14-Apr-09 18:35:07

The fact is Slingy none of us can identify shock in an animal (unless any vets are lurking) and vets are really very nice and animal loving people imho. I always think that vets would make great GPs grin, consider taking rabbit as soon as poss, you'll never forgive yourself if you don't. I hope mutley is well and truly in the dog house, mine would be. Now get off MN and get to the vet, they will be very understanding about the money side of things I am sure.

TrinityIsGettingABabyRhino Tue 14-Apr-09 18:35:48

she assessed her
she means she got her (the rabbit) so she could assess her
she hasn't phoned the vet yet but is going to for advice

hope your rabbit is ok smile

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:35:51

Must go now. Thank you all for your concern. Vet is closed now but the OOH said to keep an eye on her and phone if she changed. She is eating lots and running up andd down her run as normal.

NutterlyUts Tue 14-Apr-09 18:36:02

Will just echo everyone else - get the rabbit to the vet and if you won't, then imho you need to look at animals you have and maybe downsize. If you are not willing to spend money on each and every one of them at the drop of a hat, even if its the 5th visit to the vet that week, then you do not need pets. A rabbit has the same pain receptors and need for medical treatment that a rat or dog or cat has, and just cause it looks ok to you doesn't mean its not.

If you are determined not to take her to the vet, then prepare that by morning she may not be alive.

ourlot Tue 14-Apr-09 18:36:56

Mend the run. Put chicken wire underneath so can't dig out. Only allow out of run if you are there and dog isn't. Even if your dog doesn't get the rabbit, a wandering cat could.

Frillysocks Tue 14-Apr-09 18:37:00

Oh, poor you - personally attacked - yep well, the rabbit didn't ask to be actually attacked - I guess it didnt like that much either. Go sort out your rabbit's attack, it's a bit more relevant.

Loving pets also means sucking up the cost of the vet's bills. I would rather go without food than let my pets suffer even for a second (that second you were busy MNing instead of ringing the vets hmm.)

So don't look for sympathy from me. I take a very hard line when it comes to the suffering of animals and attacked by a dog AIN'T GOOD.

MuffinBaker Tue 14-Apr-09 18:37:01

Thanks Trinity,

How's Doggy doing?

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:37:39

Thanks Trinity.

NutterlyUts Tue 14-Apr-09 18:38:19

OOH vets cannot diagnose a rabbit over the phone. If you end up calling them you will pay through the nose.

Shock kills rabbits far faster and far more then injuries

LastOrders Tue 14-Apr-09 18:39:10

Think singys had enough of a battering advice.

We could be here all night telling her what to do. The rabbit seems fine, she'll prob phone vet in morn, if its dead then so be it.

singyswife Tue 14-Apr-09 18:42:39

As I have previously explained I only came on here for advice because for all I know rabbits go into shock as easily as kids get the cold. I DIDNT KNOW ANY DIFFERENT. I agree that being attacked by my dog was bad for her and my gut reaction was to find out how I could make her feel better. I was thinking of HER not me. I wanted to make her feel better before I did anything else. For all I knew throwing her in the car and taking her to the vet could have made her worse. I was not looking for sympathy I was looking for advice to make my rabbit better. General opinion was to phone for advice so I did but I did. I apologise if my actions upset anyone but they cannot be changed now,. This is the way I thought things through and it is done now.

NutterlyUts Tue 14-Apr-09 19:05:12

My last comment is that only if you didn't know what to do with a rabbit attacked by a dog, then should you really own a rabbit?

Ignorance is no excuse for cruelty or failing to provide basic care for animals in your care.

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 14-Apr-09 19:48:42

There is only one thing to do when a Rabbit has been attacked by a Dog that is to go to the Vet and get them checked out. Failing to do this is neglectful.

bella29 Wed 15-Apr-09 08:39:21

How is she today, Singy?

singyswife Wed 15-Apr-09 16:16:22

She is absolutely fine today. Has eaten her breakfast and has even been investigating the dog again. She came hopping into the kitchen this morning when I opened the back door. Thank you

RubyrubyrubyRubis Wed 15-Apr-09 16:26:48

Blimey Singy - you got a bit of a slating didn't you shock glad all is ok.

jollyjoanne Wed 15-Apr-09 16:31:41

Really glad she is ok.

singyswife Wed 15-Apr-09 16:34:07

I did indeed but as long as my rabbit is ok that is all that matters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now