what can rabbits and guineapigs eat?

(21 Posts)

i have bought a butternut squash.
makes a lovely casserolle.
been giving rabbits vegetable peelings but wondered about the squash peelings? might they be lovely and hard for the rabbits to get their teeth into?
or too hard.

i have guineapigs too, but they are babies, do they need hard stuff? and can they have peelings. i.e. parsnips, turnips? swedes?

DrillBit Sat 21-Feb-09 09:53:06

Yep they can, dont forget they are rodents grin

They will the flesh but sqaush can be a bit hard, they might take it if think enough

They will eat some of the ground veg you mention but not a lot.
The thing they like best are grass and Dandelion leaves.
I go out with scissors and raid neighbours lawns.
The only other thing is they should be kept apart from the rabbits

thanks, is this guineapigs you are talking about i take it??

<<i don't think there are many rabbit keepers on mn>>

DrillBit Sat 21-Feb-09 10:32:53

Yep DD's Guineapigs

will go searchign for dandelion leaves.
thanks,
gp's ahve having kale but dandelion leaves will be a lot cheaper grin

jeminthecity Sat 21-Feb-09 10:35:09

our pigs love banana skins

that's an unsual one jemin.
will try.

jeminthecity Sat 21-Feb-09 10:47:49

Apparently most pigs love 'em!

I've never tried turnip or swede with mine, but they love carrot, celery, apple etc.

Ours are indoors at the mo, as DD1 and DH fret about them freezing. They often squeal when they hear someone open the fridge.

aww

Racingsnake Sat 21-Feb-09 13:46:34

Why should gunineas be kept away from rabbits? I had a guinea and a rabbit living very happily together. (I presume, they didn't say.) Rabbit has just died of an abcess sad and going to replace him with either a guinea or a rabbit. I like rabbits. Just realised that this is a hijack. Will post on a new thread as well.

mrsmaidamess Sat 21-Feb-09 13:47:33

Carrot tops, herbs (my rabbit goes bananas for coriander, ponce)

lol, poncey rabbit.
i love coriander too

Meglet Sat 21-Feb-09 14:17:01

my piggies love watermelon in the summer. baby sweet corn is popular too. they love dandelion too.

Pixel Sat 21-Feb-09 16:09:00

If you've got a garden or allotment to weed you can keep loads of stuff for guinea pigs and rabbits. They will love:- dandelion, groundsel, purple vetch, plantains, milk thistle, shepherd's purse, clover (leaves and flowers), plus prunings from fruit such as raspberry.

You can also give them peelings from most veg but not potato. The vet told me that the leaves from corn on the cob are very good for their teeth. hth.

that's good to know.
went looking for dandelions today, perhaps it is the wrong time or year, or i was looking in the wrong place,
roadside would probably be better than park!

Racingsnake Sun 22-Feb-09 07:52:03

Wrong time of year for dandelions. Just starting into growth where we live. Am going to try if my guinea eats bramble leaves. Rabbit liked them and adored the new soft bramble shoots you get in the spring.

lisa34 Sun 22-Feb-09 08:45:58

my guinea pig loves tomatoes, carrotts, parsley, cucumber, celery, grapes, apple, green beans, corn on the cob, cabbage, curly cale in fact everything except lettuce, potatoes, and mushrooms - bring on the summer so they can get out onto the grass smile

wrong time of year?
thanks for that.

Racingsnake Sun 22-Feb-09 18:01:45

My guinea pig loves lettuce and eats the skins of boiled potatoes. Just leaves mushrooms as the thing no pig will eat!

beckyboo10 Sun 28-Nov-10 15:54:32

can guinea pigs eat parsnip peelings?

Not avocados. Definitely not. They are fatal, we learnt the hard way sad Which is quite annoying as we have two avo trees in the garden and I'm sick of the sight of the things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now