Please help - cat fleas have invaded my home

(23 Posts)
wheresmyAga Sun 13-Jul-08 06:27:14

Despite de-fleaing both my cats TWICE, I have been bitten on my ankles, chest, back, wrists? it's making me miserable. sad Can anyone suggest a solution (vacuuming hasn't worked, plus we have mostly floorboards anyway; hardly any carpets) before my entire body is eaten?

Thank you?

luckylady74 Sun 13-Jul-08 06:40:44

You need the professionals - fleas live everywhere! It was fine when we had the house sprayed - the stuff is safe for babies to be around. YThe only problem was shifting everything possible off the floor before they came.The stuff you do yourself from pet shops doesn't work ime - you need a professional.

wheresmyAga Sun 13-Jul-08 06:46:45

Thanks luckylady74. I was worried someone would say that (the prospect of clearing up the chaos makes my heart sink). But you're probably right. Will have to tackle it. Thank you.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 13-Jul-08 06:53:25

I posted on this subject here a couple of weeks ago.
I did the flea bombs a week last wed, got most of them but still getting bitten, did again this wed just gone and have seen a handful since. Also got a spray and have sprayed in cupboards, under things etc.
Am thinking now need the professionals, so a waste of £65 on the bombs.

MegSophandEmma Sun 13-Jul-08 07:22:09

I had to go to the vet and get, their strengh flea spray in a big white can. It was the only thing that worked.

Pruners Sun 13-Jul-08 07:31:49

Message withdrawn

booge Sun 13-Jul-08 07:32:50

I'd second the spray from the vet, we had the council in to spray twice and it didn't work but the spary from the vet did. (I think it's called Aclaim)

wheresmyAga Sun 13-Jul-08 07:39:21

shock @ Pruners' tale. Don't think I could handle the cold bath. Or the inevitable bites. Only wish I didn't have such sweet skin wink - they don't seem that interested in my kids.

Will apply myself to the mess today, then go to the vet tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your responses. Reassuring to know it's not just me. IYKWIM.

I used to have 3 cats and many times had to trat them and thehouse for fleas. First, you need to treat the cats. I found frontline the most easy and effective flea treatment. You just apply a small amount of liquid to the back of the cats neck. After that you need to treat your house. You can buy a spray form the vets called Nuvan stay kill. You will need to strip all the beds, hoover right through the hous, remove any kids, pets and plants, close the windows and spray the carpet especially round the skirting boards and radiators. Start upstairs and close each room off as you go, then do the stairs and rooms downstairs. Then leave the house. After a short time (think its an hour) you woll be able to go back in, open all the windows and hoover again and put clean bedding on. Its a bit time consuming but if you treat the house AND the cat(s) it works. The treatment for cats continues to kill fleas for about a month so any fleas not zapped with the spray will die next time they bite your cat. HTHsmile god I'm itching nowwink

Also you can buy a spray from boots to treat your house, I think its called ACCLAIM. It was about £11 a few years ago when I used to buy it but its as effective as Nuvan stay kill and might be easier to get hold of unless you live close to a vets surgery.

wheresmyAga Sun 13-Jul-08 09:00:51

Thank you, thank you. Am dreading doing all this as I live in a state of (disorganised) chaos blush and don't have TIME. But you are making me see that I will have to pull my socks up (or wear thick wooly tights for ever to avoid any more bites).

bkbk, I did use frontline. Twice!

keevamum Sun 13-Jul-08 09:17:06

I am so gald it's not just me. My DD1 is covered in bites they only seem to go for her and it looks terrible. Will follow all the advice too.

kiddiz Sun 13-Jul-08 09:17:38

I battled with this problem for many years and did find nuvan staykil the most effective. You just need to be very thorough with it. I was also the only one who seemed to get bitten though someone told me this was because I reacted to the bites and the rest of my family didn't. Not sure how true that is but does seem to make sense.
Our lovely cat sadly died just before dd was born and we didn't have another till she was 3. We now have the Program injections..well the cat does....which are expensive but work brilliantly. Our cats is now 7 and has never had fleas since we had her.
I sympathise with you. Flea bites used to make my life a misery.

luckylady74 Sun 13-Jul-08 10:27:57

I have a vague recollection that nuvan top spray was withdrawn because it was dangerous!

I used to use nuvan top spray on my cats, the minute i got the can out the 3 cats would race to the cat flap and would not be seen again for a couple of hours!

kiddiz Sun 13-Jul-08 12:17:04

It's well over 10 years since I used it so possibly

emiliadaniel Sun 13-Jul-08 13:10:18

Nuvan Staykill is not the most widely used spray by vets now, but there are several very good ones available eg Acclaim, R.I.P. When you use it, you need to do every room in the house, even if there are rooms that the cat doesn't go in. Also use the whole can up in one go on an average size house. Once it is done it will last a year so really worth doing properly. Must also make sure that you use a veterinary product on the cat as well eg Frontline, Advocate, Advantage - speak to one of the veterinary nurses.

zaphod Sun 13-Jul-08 13:18:39

Dog kept getting fleas and they invaded the house last summer. Chemist suggested Acclaim, in a large aerosol can. I sprayed the house, furniture and carpets, and we left for the day. I aired it thoroughly when we came back and the problem was solved. It lasts for a year, and kills the eggs as well. It cost 23Euro, but was well worth it.

wheresmyAga Sun 13-Jul-08 22:45:57

Kiddiz, am loving the sound of the Program injections. Today I managed to vacuum and removed all the rugs.

Will ask the vet about the injections because at this stage I am so itchy (not that many bites, but they are ferocious) I don't care what it costs. (Maybe they could give me the injections too?!)

Thanks everyone for your help.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 14-Jul-08 20:21:08

I thought we were getting there - then today my mum found 2 inside my ds1's pj top - poor boy's back was bitten to bits.
SO I conclude the bombs/flea foggers are no good and I am getting an industrial sized can of spray and applying directly to the buggers.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 18-Jul-08 20:26:14

update on mine - which are increasing again after the 2nd flea bombs which were let off last Wed.
I called the no. under the council for pest control (not a council dept, but must be contracted by them), they are coming out to spray the house on Monday - for £47, and will respray for free if needed.
She asked where it was, I said through the whole house and she asked how many bedrooms, I though she was going to tell me the £47 was per room - but no, still £47 even for the house.
A bit annoyed that I have spent aout £80 on flea bombs and sprays now.
I won't be here (at work), but my mum will and she will ask whatever relevant qu's need to be asked.
My friend had an infestation when they moved into their house and apparently it took about 6 weeks to kill them all off after the spraying.

manchesterpest Fri 25-Oct-13 17:13:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

DampDudes Fri 25-Oct-13 17:16:05

advocate drops and spray the carpets. Then hoover.

This worked for me when we got the world's worst infestation 3 weeks after my first baby was born by c section. hideous timing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now