Keeping Rats outdoors

(7 Posts)
elliy Mon 14-Nov-16 18:20:39

I am the proud owners of three dumbo rats. I acquired them in the summer and they have lived quite happily in the comfort in their Liberta 2nd Gen cage in my room. However, I have received recent news from our landlord that they want to terminate the possibility of pets inside the property. We are pleading with them to change their minds but we are becoming quite desperate and need a way to keep them. The only way we can keep them without needing our landlord's permission is outside. We know that this is certainly not desirable but is it possible? Does anyone know of an example of this working? Otherwise we are going to have to say goodbye to our babies sad

SortAllTheThings Mon 14-Nov-16 18:22:26

I don't really know tbh, but I can't imagine it being feasible. They're such social creatures, how will you manage if you can't have them in the house?

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 14-Nov-16 18:24:21

I don't think it would be a great solution for the rats tbh. Usually pets in cages are not the type of pets landlords are against its usually cats and dogs.

Missyaggravation Mon 14-Nov-16 18:29:14

Do you have many visits from your landlord?.......

lljkk Mon 14-Nov-16 19:00:54

Are Dumbos just a breed of regular fancy rats?
Fancy rats are prone to respiratory conditions, so being outside in winter Britain is not ok (sorry).
Sorry your landlord is being a bastard. Is there any way you could negotiate an extra deposit & keep them indoors after all?

froglou Mon 14-Nov-16 21:57:59

No they need to be kept indoors.

Could you not keep them indoors and move them out or hide them when landlord comes knocking? Legally landlord has to give you 24hours notice anyway I think but could be wrong?

SnipSnapCrashCrack Mon 14-Nov-16 23:15:50

Definitely indoors only, poor things will be scared and cold outdoors and they are prone to illness. As heartbreaking as it is, I would rehome them rather than put them outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now