Need ideas for pets (in cat/dog allergy family!) and DD with poss ASD

(4 Posts)
Blossom4538 Fri 11-Nov-16 08:56:15

Hi all,

Basically we would love to get ourDD a pet. She is 5, has anxiety and a cat/dog would be ideal but my H has terrible allergies amd mild asthma and DD mild too.

Any ideas of alternative pets which are relatively easy to care for?!

Thanks

froglou Sun 13-Nov-16 18:39:47

Depends on the cause of the allergy as most are fur related would rule out all small furry animals like guinea pigs or hamsters (wouldn't recommend a rabbit for a 5 year old) even if you used a non dusty paper bedding the hay or fur could flare up allergies.

Have you considered a reptile, like a crested gecko? They don't need to be fed bugs just a fruit paste and only need a small amount of heat.

Vickih83 Sun 27-Nov-16 19:11:31

I have allergies with animals but we have 2 dogs who I'm absolutely fine with. They are Lhasa poos. Lhasa apso crossed with a miniature poodle. We did quite a bit of research and spent a couple of hours with the dogs at the breeders before we committed. They don't shed and the breeds have been crossed as both are known not to effect allergy sufferers. They have a fantastic temperament and are both great with our 2 year old.

GetOutMyCar Sun 27-Nov-16 19:15:55

My DH has terrible allergies and severe asthma. Regular dogs are a nightmare for him. We have a Westie and he's fine with it. They don't shed but have to be regularly clipped instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now