Aldi cat food

(12 Posts)
YesYABU Wed 18-May-16 10:11:50

We have a rehomed Turkish Angora who we got 18 months ago. The estimated age given to us by the vet was 4-6 years.

She will only eat certain foods and is very fussy. We have managed to get her onto a decent quality dry food (Porta 21 cats heaven) but not having much luck with wet pouches.

She will eat gourmet perle Mon petit or Sheena gravy pouches but we were concerned that these are not that healthy. She will also eat the Aldi Vita Cat premium but again only in gravy, however they seem to have stopped stocking this.

Does anyone know if Aldi premium is any better than the Sheena/gourmet stuff? Or anything that looks and smells similar to these which isn't massively unhealthy?

We've tried various from zooplus including animonda carne but still no joy

MoonlightandMusic Wed 18-May-16 22:29:27

Is the Premium the Vitacat one? If yes, then it looks as though they are still selling it so it may be they ran out in your nearest shops.

Also, have you tried her on either the Royal Canin or Sainsbury's pouches? Ours is quite picky, but will happily devour either of those.

YesYABU Wed 18-May-16 22:35:07

That's the 'normal' one, she won't eat that for some weird reason! The other looked identical but had the writing on purple rather than green. My cat is that fussy!

We've tried sainsburys premium stuff in purple packs/ tins and she won't go for that. Haven't tried Royal Canon though so I guess it's worth a shot!

BeatricePotter Wed 18-May-16 22:39:59

Our cat eats the ALDI Premium cat food, Whiskas and Felix.

I don't think any of them are great but he only likes one packet a day and chomps his way through Hills Science Plan biscuits the rest of the time.

MoonlightandMusic Wed 18-May-16 23:14:37

sad - mind you, as a cat, I'm sure her reasoning is sound (green clashes with her coat/teeth/claws?)

muddiboots Wed 18-May-16 23:19:47

Have you tried the Iams pouches, I find these go down well with fussy cats. Not ideal nutrition wise but if just supplementing dry would be fine

YesYABU Thu 19-May-16 06:58:50

We've tried whiskers and Felix but she won't go for these either. If she doesn't like it she 'digs' the bowl and mat underneath it to flip the whole thing upside down. Bit like burying poop I guess!

The wet food is purely to supplement the dry stuff as she only eats about a tablespoon of dry in the morning or at night. I guess I'll have to go pet shop and buy one pouch of Iams and royal canin and see what happens.

YesYABU Thu 19-May-16 07:05:35

This is the food.

Can't find any mention of who makes it for Aldi, but it's 41% meat so maybe that's why she likes it so much. If I'd known they were going to stop selling this one I'd have bulk bought it!

Fraggled Thu 19-May-16 07:15:47

I sincerely hope they aren't going to stop selling that! It's the only food my 2 will eat. Plenty in our local stores, although a few months ago when they changed the packaging we had a few weeks of not being able to buy any.

YesYABU Thu 19-May-16 07:29:49

My store now has an inferior version in a beige 6 pack which although labelled as vita cat select is not the same thing at all!

I'm half tempted to go into store with the empty box and ask them what's going on, or if they can give me any they may have in the warehouse. Not holding my breath though

QforCucumber Thu 19-May-16 07:50:48

We found the vitacat select to be very similar to felix as good as it looks. You can buy that in individual pouches for about 60p so might be worth a try? Ours won't touch normal felix angry

MoonlightandMusic Thu 19-May-16 21:10:41

It seems you may not be the only one whose cat's noticed a change in the Aldi food found this petition on Reddit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now