Incessant meowing from elderly cat

(12 Posts)
rollonthesummer Mon 25-Apr-16 07:46:50

Our cat is 18 and in recent months has started meowing loudly-in our bedroom, outside our bedroom, on the stairs to be fed from about 5am. She does it repeatedly and loudly-- it is driving me to distraction and she won't stop. If I go and feed her, she eats and then will start meowing again-like she's forgotten she's been fed. I feel sorry for moaning--she is an elderly cat and is possibly forgetting she's eaten? I suspect she's part deaf now as well so can't hear her miaow maybe?!

It's driving us to distraction-I need to not be woken up at 5am every morning!!

The way our house is designed, we can't shut her downstairs so that's not a possibility

Wolfiefan Mon 25-Apr-16 07:49:46

Is she eating as normal? Keeping weight on?
Ours did this towards the end but it was meowing to be let out as she wouldn't use a litter tray!

Watto1 Mon 25-Apr-16 07:51:09

I'm assuming you have had her checked over by the vet? If there's nothing physically wrong, could you get one of those feeding bowls that automatically pop open at a set time? Maybe set it to give 2 small meals 10 mins apart.

You need to get her thyroid checked. It's a classic symptom I think.

Wolfiefan Mon 25-Apr-16 08:01:18

That's why I asked about weight iheart. Our old girl had thyroid problems.

rollonthesummer Mon 25-Apr-16 08:11:53

I haven't taken her to the vet, no. I will ring and make an appointment. Is this likely to be expensive? confused

Wolfiefan Mon 25-Apr-16 09:01:23

Thyroid can be as simple as a pill a day. Having said that old girl was on thyroid meds. Two a day. And tramadol. One a day. For arthritis. Cost about £60 a month I think.
The vet said we could reduce to a pill a day but tried it and she wasn't well again.
Pills are tiny and coated.

orangebird69 Wed 18-May-16 10:23:59

Is her hearing ok?

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 18-May-16 10:26:17

My 16 year old cat has started doing this too, and eating a lot but not gaining weight. Will make appointment at vets right now.

Missgraeme Thu 18-Aug-16 20:29:52

Did u know of cats meow when they are in pain? Ob for other reasons also. Time to see a vet.

maisiejones Sat 17-Sep-16 02:08:08

This can be a sign of dementia in elderly cats. My cat did it but I'm afraid I never found a solution. I think they momentarily forget where they are and call out to you for reassurance.

Mistykit Mon 19-Sep-16 11:51:40

My old cat did this when she had dementia. She would get lost & confused in the house. After a few months we worked out what different cries meant so we were able to give her what she was looking for / bring her to where she wanted to be (usually her favourite bed).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now