How much to pay young teenager to visit feed cat?

(13 Posts)
SaffyRosie Wed 06-Apr-16 16:43:25

How much should I pay a young (13) teenager to come in and feed, clean litter tray, cuddle cat and top up bird feeders. I want her to come in twice a day. She lives next door.

I was thinking £5 per visit ie £10 per day. Is this too low? high? I live on Hampshire/Dorset border.

Thanks.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 06-Apr-16 17:51:31

Far too high for compassion my dad did the same for my friends rabbits for £10 a week so seven visits.

AlpacaLypse Wed 06-Apr-16 17:56:22

We charge this at £15 per visit - that's for a pro service, including litter tray, indoor plant watering when needed, and outdoor too as long as it's not a massive garden, clearing the letter box of stuck junk mail (so the place doesn't look empty) random light switching on and off (for same reason), cuddles and play etc.

That's for a fully insured professional adult with basic animal first aid training.

2016namechangecomingalong Wed 06-Apr-16 17:59:58

I think that's a bit high actually.

Round here a qualified vet nurse will do that for £7 a visit, or £12 for two visits.

Maybe £5 a day?, after all they can do it when they like, they are 13, and they will probably be less than an hour per day in total.

AlpacaLypse Wed 06-Apr-16 20:03:49

smile we charge it high because it's a PITA for us...

We do chuck it in free when we have the family dogs to stay, as our code of conduct doesn't allow us to leave dogs alone overnight, whereas cats and small furry animals are usually happier left in familiar surroundings.

We also do it at mate's rates for anyone we actually already know! (£10 a day for two visits).

DixieNormas Wed 06-Apr-16 20:07:12

my 13 year old says he would do it for a fiver a day

DixieNormas Wed 06-Apr-16 20:10:17

actually the 21 year old says he will come and do it for £5 a day too, it would pay his train fare to work grin]

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 06-Apr-16 20:13:06

Fiver a day, my 14yr old would be over the moon with that.

MillieMoodle Wed 06-Apr-16 20:23:54

We pay our rabbit lady £6 per visit to come in and feed buns, change water, clean them out, let them have a run around if we're away. She comes twice a day. She also puts the bins out and opens and closes curtains for us. She will also do medicine/injections and take to vets if needed. She's fab smile

TwigTheWonderKid Wed 06-Apr-16 21:41:21

Just paid a neighbour's teenager £5 a day for the same thing. He was very happy with that and we're in London

JennyOnAPlate Wed 06-Apr-16 21:48:41

Our cat sitters charge £8 per visit...they are a pet sitting company though, not a local teenager. I would at £10 per day is perfectly reasonable.

JennyOnAPlate Wed 06-Apr-16 21:50:40

Although saying that I used to do it as a teenager for our neighbours (arranged by the neighbours and my parents) and all I got was a box of chocolates!!

Charell20 Thu 14-Apr-16 16:04:24

I would do it for £5 a day and I'm 31

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now