should I re-home my cat?

(17 Posts)
tuliplips Mon 22-Feb-16 20:21:01

I have pined over having a cat for many years and now I finally have one. I am so happy to have him around, he is adorable and I love him so much!

However, we may as well have moved next door to Mike Tyson as he keeps getting attacked by next door's Bengal cat-also a male. I have had several trips to the vet and the last straw was today when I broke up another scrap and now my poor cat cannot put weight on his front leg. I was only at the vet with him last week for a fight with the same cat.

Next door's cat sits and wait for him directly outside our house. He watches my cat through the window.

We have a super soaker gun to scare him away but he keeps coming back unphased.

I am at a loss of what to do about this. I am even thinking of re-homing my cat due to the amount of injuries inflicted on him. It is not fair on him to have this on a weekly basis.

Anyone got any ideas how to stop this? Thanks

tuliplips Tue 23-Feb-16 19:34:48

Anyone?

lljkk Tue 23-Feb-16 19:36:31

oh crud. sad. Could you make your cat indoor only?

aprilanne Tue 23-Feb-16 19:41:23

i also have a rescue cat .he is lovely but a bit scared so i keep him inside can you do this or is he a outdoor cat .

ILikeUranus Tue 23-Feb-16 19:47:29

Indoor cat or supervised access to the garden only when you have your supersoaker handy. I feel for you, and your poor cat.

sodabreadjam Tue 23-Feb-16 19:47:45

Have you spoken to the people next door?

You might mention that you feel they should be paying some, if not all, of the vet's bills if your cat is continually coming off worse.

Could you work out a schedule with them for letting the cats out on alternate days?

Palomb Tue 23-Feb-16 19:53:05

I'd be asking the neighbors for a contributions to your vets bills tbh!

mummymafia Tue 23-Feb-16 20:10:57

I would think about having him as an indoor cat or maybe getting him used to one of those cat leads for occasional outside trips when the neighbour agrees to keep thuglet inside? And speak to the neighbour. Those Bengal type cats are notoriously aggressive & territorial. Especially males & especially if he hasn't been 'done' in the trouser department. Your cat would probably get more cuddly & into you if he was an indoor cat as well. Don't get rid of him, you have only just found each other. Good luck. I have 3 cats & love them all almost as much as my children! wink

tuliplips Tue 23-Feb-16 20:19:18

Thank you everyone!! I think you are right about the indoor cat thing. It is such a shame as we have a nice garden with a field behind it! So much to explore and we have a bully ruining it: marking what he believes to be HIS territory.

Wolfiefan Tue 23-Feb-16 20:21:10

What about cat proofing your own property? Or a run.

tuliplips Tue 23-Feb-16 20:22:37

How can you cat proof a property?

m0therofdragons Tue 23-Feb-16 20:29:31

Our cat is now an indoor one. Mostly because she had a few occasions if getting lost but only 5 houses away. I think something spooked her each time but she was missing for 3 weeks once and it turned out she was in a neighbours hedge having eaten food put out for foxes. After the 3rd time of her going missing we kept her in. It tied in with her getting lots of fight type injuries. She's not a fighter - seriously, a 3-legged spider can outwit her. For her safety we've kept her in. She tried to escape the first week but since then she's not remotely bothered. Not sure how easy it'll be in the summer though.
That said, my experience of bengals is that they're pretty nasty/wild. Poor cat sad

QforCucumber Tue 23-Feb-16 20:31:48

I agree with the cat proofing, we did our garden as we aren't too far from a main road. Kitties both get to play out but we have no worried of them escaping and ending up squished.
Ours was brackets and staple gun, and garden netting. That's the best picture I could get as any other angle you can't really see it.

sodabreadjam Tue 23-Feb-16 20:33:51

There are companies that install fencing on top of your existing garden fence or wall. It leans in at a 45 degree angle to stop your cats getting out and other cats getting in.

This is one company. Don't know how much it costs.

protectapet.com

I would speak to the owners of the Bengal first. From Googling I have found they can be quite aggressive and like to defend a large territory.

sodabreadjam Tue 23-Feb-16 20:36:20

Looks like you did a good DIY job, Cucumber. These fences aren't pretty but worth it for the safety of your pet.

QforCucumber Tue 23-Feb-16 21:00:00

Dp did it all haha, the pic was midway through, the cable ties are all trimmed down and the brackets are screwed on at the fence posts so you barely see them, cats have tried to push through once or twice but gave up. We have lots of plants and hiding places in the garden for them do they're happy grin

Wolfiefan Tue 23-Feb-16 21:00:57

I know. I thought cat proofing. Have you met a cat?! But there are companies that can do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now