Ideas for a pet

(11 Posts)
Gotosleep123 Sat 20-Feb-16 21:37:05

I've always had pets- dogs, cats, rats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, horses, rabbits etc

However since we lost our dog last year we have been without any animal. We have two small children and I'm back at work full time after maternity soon, so although both me and dh love dogs, they are out of the question.

Dh had also tested allergic to cats and dogs (he was in total denial as he adored our last dog) and says he hates cats hmm

So need suggestions!!

I have had house rabbits in the past. Can they be happy outdoors too? And guinea pigs? I'd be worried they'd be a bit forgotten out there, especially in the winter

fiverabbits Sat 20-Feb-16 21:40:47

First question to ask if you are thinking about rabbits outdoors is where are they going to live ?

LadyDeadpool Sat 20-Feb-16 21:51:53

Rats? Lovely friendly little beasts, highly intelligent love cuddles. Easy to handle and care for. Only live for 2-3 years though. My little beastie is dying and its breaking my heart even my toddler could cuddle her. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better pet and I will take in a couple of rescues when she passes.

Honestly please don't discount them because they're rodents they are amazing and beautiful and wonderful.

Gotosleep123 Sat 20-Feb-16 22:05:15

Totally agree Lady- I've owned quite a few rats in the past and they are fantastic. If it was just my decision I would totally go for rats but I doubt dh would

Fiverabbits - in a hutch plus run attached I guess? What is the best accommodation?

tabulahrasa Sat 20-Feb-16 22:11:51

Best accommodation for rabbits is a shed, with a hutch inside (or similar sized bedroom) for sleeping in, a run attached and a cat flap on your back door so they can come in and out when you're about...that way they've enough space and can be both inside and outside rabbits.

Wolfiefan Sat 20-Feb-16 22:12:58

I love rats.
But what do you want OP? You will look after it!
How about The Cinnamon Trust for doggy contact?

Gotosleep123 Sun 21-Feb-16 11:03:25

I would probably choose a cat tbh if it was only down to me.

We don't have loads of space so rabbit shed not really an option.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Think I may have to face a pet less future (or get a divorce grin)

MeadowHay Mon 22-Feb-16 20:34:20

Guinea pigs indoors? They do need quite a lot of space but not vast amounts, and you can get them out for exercise running around a room if you are there to supervise them closely. There are plenty of guinea pigs in rescue centres desperate for loving homes. theguineapigforum.co.uk is a brilliant resource if you're thinking about getting guinea pigs, there is pretty much anything you could possibly want to know about them on there, and a great community of owners. I have two lovely little piggy boys myself who live in our living room and are much loved, delightful, sensitive, intelligent little things.

Georgina1975 Mon 22-Feb-16 20:40:25

Chinchilla...Looked after a pair many years ago and they were excellent.

Bree85 Mon 07-Mar-16 16:31:57

How cute of your DH. Sad to say you can't have dogs. Maybe rabbits are good choice. But they have still furs right like dogs or cats?

RattieOfCatan Tue 08-Mar-16 07:16:31

Show your DH videos of rats doing tricks and being cute. That'll convince him. Push on the "mini-dog" thing too ;) bring him round :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now