Anyone got pet mice? Help!

(5 Posts)
SheSellsSanctuary Sun 03-Jan-16 08:53:45

We have three female mice and we have a problem with barbering :-(
We got the first two mice, let's call them A and B, in November 2014 and third (mouse C) and fourth (mouse D) about a month later. One mouse (D) subsequently died.

Recently we have noticed that mice A and B have absolutely no whiskers and that their snouts are bald :-( Mouse C is still sporting a full set of whiskers so it's not hard to see who the bully is!

Any advice? Should we re-home mouse C? I feel awful hearing them all chittering away every evening, thinking that mouse C is torturing the original mice we got. Plus they are presumably elderly now (for mice) and I don't want A&B to live out their mouse dotage being picked on. Or am I hugely over-involved?!

Any advice welcome!

SheSellsSanctuary Sun 03-Jan-16 09:56:47

Bump!

SheSellsSanctuary Sun 03-Jan-16 17:21:40

One last bump...

TheWhoreOfBabyliss Sun 03-Jan-16 17:27:12

I would either separate them or put them in a much bigger cage/tank with more beds so they can get apart more easily. I used to work in a lab and this was a fairly common problem. Depending on the experimental trial ongoing, separation was preferable if possible within the protocol.

SheSellsSanctuary Sun 03-Jan-16 19:18:21

Thank you Thewhore. They have quite a large tank with two separate houses and various tubes...the two mice who are being barbered could get away if they wished...I don't know why they don't stand up to the bully! misses the fact that these are rodents and not humans

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now