Help getting a kitten

(6 Posts)
FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 05-Jan-14 14:50:51

Me and DH are getting a kitten.

It's not going to be for about 6 weeks as we need to do research and learn about about the kittens needs, that the most important part.

What's is the most important things to know about.

We are planning to use a rescue centre.

hiddenhome Sun 05-Jan-14 18:54:26

You will need a bed for it. Mine both like those covered in cat beds as they keep draughts off. We let our kittens and cats sleep on our bed, but it's personal choice.

I feed mine a mixture of dried and wet sachet food. Get the best food you can afford. I like Iams. Always provide water. Some cats don't like chemicals in their water, so you might like to provide cooled, boiled water.

A safety collar, bell (lets you know where the kitten is) and an ID tag.

Make sure your kitten is microchipped, vaccinated, wormed and de-flead. Insurance is about 11 pounds a month with Petplan. Neutering is done at about 6 months old.

Kittens like a variety of toys to play with and perhaps a scratching post.

You will have to decide whether or not you're going to allow your cat outside once it's old enough. Outdoor cats are at risk of wandering and getting lost or knocked over. I've lost three cats to these problems sad

Some people consider keeping cats indoors all the time to be cruel, so prefer them to have their freedom. You could always restrict their movements out of your garden by building a pen or extending any fencing and installing anti cat escape products around the perimeter.

Cats will never sleep where you want them to, I've bought so many beds that they've slept in once then discarded. Also keep them in as long as you can (till after vacs & neutering with kittens) then let them out for a little explore in the garden when they are due to be fed, it's much easier to tempt a hungry cat back in grin Good luck kittens are so much cheeky fun

FortyDoorsToNowhere Mon 06-Jan-14 16:22:34

Thank-you for your time in replying.

Going to have fun shopping for the new kitten.

Crazycat77 Sat 11-Jan-14 23:58:40

Kittens need lots of play, stimulation and for the first few months are hard work! I'd definitely recommend getting two so they can play and learn together...they move pretty quick so watch they don't get trapped or escape out of doors or open windows....if letting them out I had a harness and lead until mine got used to garden and the outdoors

Cats will pretty much sleep anywhere they choose, start as you mean to go on with that....if you allow them to sleep with you that expectation will always exist!

A mix of wet n dry food is best with access to plenty fresh water....kitten proof your home they will be into everything! Take care around ornaments or items on shelves or window sills....be prepared for furniture to have claw marks and scratches even if you do invest in a scratching post or two....try get them used to catsan white litter...whilst not the cheapest, lasts longer, is more hygienic and no dust! Have used it for years and the cats love it!

Good luck!

FortyDoorsToNowhere Thu 16-Jan-14 22:29:19

Well we got her a bit earlier than expected. A friends MIL bought a kitten and at 3 months old she couldn't take care of her (exowner had a serious accident) so we adopted her.

I'm in love with her already, we have had her a week and it's like we have always had her.

We have booked her into the vets for her injection, flea, worming and to get her chipped and also to have the op to prevent pregnancies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now