Does anyone have bumble bees?

(2 Posts)
littleredsquirrel Wed 18-Dec-13 21:59:31

Dh has been going on and on about having honey bees. Thing is I know (because I know him very well) that this will be the latest fad and that after spending a fortune on hives and bee keeping suits etc he'll loose interest or be too busy to do anything with them.

So I was looking at just getting him one of those bee houses for the garden and then saw that you can buy colonies of bumble bees. Thought this might be a sort of halfway house (not that I'm testing his staying power or anything.....)

Anyone have any experience with bumble bees?

bolshieoldcow Mon 30-Dec-13 23:45:27

Sorry, I don't know much about bumbles, but I had a honeybee hive when I was a teenager. They stung me quite a lot and then they all died after a hard winter sad. There's a ton of stuff to know about how to keep bees and look after them - I'd really recommend he gets in touch with a local beekeeping society and see if he can buddy a keeper through the summer to see what's entailed. Also, you'd need a big(ish) garden or an accommodating local land owner - if you have children or near neighbours, you don't want the bees' flight paths to coicide with where they play/hang out washing/sunbathe.

That said, my 12yo DD is bee-mad so we will probably go down that road again before too long...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now