Buying a new dog

(8 Posts)
Gcsekid Wed 27-Nov-13 15:34:40

I've got a jack Russell and she's about 9/10 years old, may sound stupid but she seems a bit lonely and I've wanted another dog for a while. My only worry is whether getting another dog (which won't be much bigger than her) will wear her out and bring about her death much quicker? May be a silly question but it's the only thing stopping me
Any advice would be helpful
Thanks

Bowlersarm Wed 27-Nov-13 15:36:51

The reverse of that is that it could perk her up and keep her young.

Gcsekid Wed 27-Nov-13 16:01:52

I also thought that, but I'm not sure which ones more likely?

LeoandBoosmum Wed 27-Nov-13 22:52:17

Might be better to take your dog to the local Dogs' Trust and let her choose a 'friend' herself? smile Seriously, they'd probably let your dog mix with one or two you and she shows any interest in smile My mum bought her dog (love him to bits) but would never buy a dog myself, there are just too many in dogs' homes in need of rescue.

leo has given you a lively idea! let your dog pick smile much better to go for a well thought out rescue dog. Is your dog nice and social?

ErrolTheDragon Wed 27-Nov-13 23:01:47

Yes - a rescue dog younger than yours but out of the puppy stage might be a win-win.

What's she like with other dogs in general?

mistlethrush Wed 27-Nov-13 23:02:23

If your existing dog is 9 or 10 I would definitely be aiming for a dog that wasn't a puppy - she's likely to hate having a puppy around! A slightly older dog that has learned some basic dog language and how to behave around other dogs is likely to go down a lot better. And she (and you) will be able to work out what the new dog's character is like much better than getting a young one.

LEMisafucker Wed 27-Nov-13 23:05:20

Yep - what leo said, spot on! and 9 for a JRT is pratically a puppy anyway grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now