Flea advice

(5 Posts)
itchyitchy Sun 06-Oct-13 09:21:10

Hi all, just wondered if anyone can help. Went to a friends house today with my 4 children. We got home and I have noticed bites on the children and myself, when I called friends she said that her cat has fleas. This is the cat she put on my babies lap!!!!!!! Anyway my question is could we have bought any travellers home with us? And if we could (we don't have pets) will they survive in a pet free home?

I am a little annoyed we got no warning as the children were all playing on the floor and my youngest is covered in bites sad

charliezack Sun 06-Oct-13 17:40:40

Yes they can survive as they will be feeding off of people as well,
you can get treatment for the carpet and furniture from the local pet shop for around £5-10 you will have to keep little ones out of the rooms for a few hours after minimum
also if anyone in your family is asthmatic don't use the aerosol sprays or bombs even if they claim they are safe . . . the joys of a midnight A+E run when the inhalers don't work
x

AngelsLieToKeepControl Sun 06-Oct-13 17:46:07

2 of my children are asthmatic, we had an infestation (thanks for telling me your cat had fleas when I agreed to cat sit, knobby neighbour angry ) and I managed to get rid of them using flea traps, lemons and salt, although it wasn't easy.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 06-Oct-13 18:29:41

Fleas will not live on humans. It is highly unlikely that you bought any home. Fleas jump on humans bite and then jump off. Spray the house itch a good quality spray like Indorex or acclaim that have insect growth regulators in them (other brands do not) and that should be the end of the story. These sprays are more like £20 a can, but this is a product where you get what you pay for.

itchyitchy Sun 06-Oct-13 22:11:40

Thanks all if we start getting bitten anymore than we have already I will get some spray!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now