Cat behaving strangely please help.

(11 Posts)
Fivemoreminutesmummy Sun 21-Jul-13 13:31:09

Hello, our beloved 13 year old cat is behaving very strangely over the last 5 days. He is 'hiding' and not wanting to come in. We found him under the car and he was not persuaded by any food etc. to come out. We moved the car, got him and took him to the vets yesterday who couldn't find anything wrong.

He went missing last night and we searched everywhere and were getting quite upset but have just caught a glimpse of him in the garden. We called him softly and offered food at the back door but he darted away as if he's terrified of us.

Any ideas? Is he physically unwell do you think? Or emotionally upset as my husband has been working away from home recently. Shall we go back to the vets?
TIA

Karen4007 Sun 21-Jul-13 23:09:05

Could be your husband away. I had a lovely kitten. He lived at hone with his sister, my sister and my brother-in-law. BIL was studying, so was at home alot during the day. When he finished he moved back to Holland. The plan was for my sister to follow. The cat pretty much moved out the day he did and became the neighbourhood floozy, begging attention and food from all.

Alternatively, if he is acting scared of you, perhaps he has gad a bad experience recently with some humans?

You could try keeping him in for a few days to see if ge settles down. Perhaps ignore him until he asks for attention, but leave him when he is sleeping or hiding and see if ge settles in a few days, then let him out again.

Hope he settles soon

MrsIgglePiggle Tue 23-Jul-13 14:05:35

Did the vet test your cat's kidneys ? Sadly a lot of cats pass away around this age with kidney problems. It is a gradual process of a few weeks.

Fivemoreminutesmummy Tue 23-Jul-13 21:45:29

Thank you for your replies. We got him in yesterday but he's still behaving oddly. Vets again tomorrow I think. I spoke to a friend who has had a lot of cats and she mentioned about kidneys too. Poor little chap, I hope he's not in any pain if it is that.
Thanks so much again for your input.

Fivemoreminutesmummy Wed 21-Aug-13 18:00:52

Hi, I don't know if anyone remembers this but he has continued to deteriorate over the last few weeks. Saw vet again (for umpteenth time) today and we're putting him to sleep on Friday. Vet suspects lymphoma. Poor lovely cat, I'm so so upset but can't see him deteriorate further, he's so weak.

Oh flowers I'm sorry to read this. You are doing the right thing for your lovely cat.

msrisotto Wed 21-Aug-13 18:05:47

Oh i'm so sorry to hear it. And although I hate to hear of animals dying, I hate it more when they are in pain and suffering are scared and don't know what is going on so having him put down is the kind thing to do. Even though it is hard. Take care of yourself x

Fivemoreminutesmummy Wed 21-Aug-13 18:45:39

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I didn't imagine I could feel so upset about a cat but I really do. It sounds cliched but he's been a lovely friend over the years.

msrisotto Wed 21-Aug-13 18:50:53

Oh I absolutely would too. My cat has been a better friend than my family at times!

everythinghippie29 Wed 21-Aug-13 19:13:38

So sorry to read that he is poorly. You have made sure he is looked after to the end though. I'm sure you gave him a great life. thanks.

Bubblepuppy Wed 21-Aug-13 19:18:11

Sorry to read this. It isn't cliched. He's part of your family. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now