Guinea pig / hamster or mice for 6 year old child?

(14 Posts)
miemohrs Mon 15-Jul-13 16:30:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FernieB Mon 15-Jul-13 23:04:24

Guinea pigs would need to be a pair as they need company. They also need a lot of room - the cages and hutches that are sold in a lot of shops just aren't really big enough.

Am not really sure about hamsters or mice but if you post in Small Furry Animal section, you'll find lots of people to help you.

miemohrs Mon 15-Jul-13 23:23:52

Floralnomad Mon 15-Jul-13 23:30:20

Rats ,they make fantastic pets .

RobotBananas Mon 15-Jul-13 23:36:52

Yy, rats. Do not buy from pets at home though.

Whogivesashit Fri 19-Jul-13 22:14:08

Guinea pigs would be great. Look here www.justpets.net for hutches and runs.

mouses Mon 22-Jul-13 19:18:52

ive kept and fostered rescue hamsters and i find that they just get lively as my kids are winding down for bed, so id go with another option.

ive own 25 mice before and i can honestly say they are wonderful and great to watch. mine have never bitten me, tho does take time andpatience to hand tameable stage.

guineas are nice, maybe more work and taeable then mice?

as suggested - rats are brilliant, intelligent pets! if i wasnt allergic to them id kept them myself. :-)

mouses Mon 22-Jul-13 19:20:35

just to add, if looking into mice best to get a trio as if one dies there is company of two (for a while anyhow)

also females are less nippy and smell better.

Springcleanish Mon 22-Jul-13 19:33:21

Age six is still v young to handle pets, guineas tend to keep more still and are easier to place on a lap. Mice can get v tame, but can be difficult to pick up or handle for little ones, by six they don't just want to watch the pets.

YoungBritishPissArtist Mon 22-Jul-13 19:38:04

Hamsters are nocturnal iirc, not sure about mice. How about gerbils?

sashh Mon 29-Jul-13 10:45:05

I had mice, they need to be in a mouse cage or a fish tank. They can be quite stinky, females less so.

If you handle them from tiny they are quite friendly. They live for about 2 years so you will have to deal with a death at some stage and you need at least 2, preferably 3.

If you need to introduce a new mouse put a tiny bit of olive oil on the neck of both the new and the old to confuse the smells.

Rats I have not had but I hear good things about them.

Do not, even for one second, even if you see one in a shop and it looks lovely, consider a chinchilla. They are delightful animals but definitely for adults and they live 20 years.

miemohrs Mon 29-Jul-13 12:50:35

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Mon 29-Jul-13 12:57:53

I always think rabbits make the best pets for young children, big enough to handle easily (also easier to catch than a mouse if it escapes), tame, quiet, clean and awake during the day. Was that not an option?

lljkk Mon 29-Jul-13 13:10:27

Oh well, I was going to say Mice, mice, mice. Having had all of them. mice win hands down.
But good luck with your piggies. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now