previous house owner had a cat and we still have fleas!

(9 Posts)
Gingerandproud Sun 03-Mar-13 21:41:59

We bought a house where the previous owner had a cat and we are still being bitten by what I think are fleas from this cat. It seems to be mainly in the bedroom so we ripped up the carpet but I have found fresh bites after doing this.

Any pet owners out there recommend any products for hardwood floors (floorboards) to get rid of these once and for all? We are getting the floors downstairs stripped in a few weeks and want rid of them by then if possible.

Any help gratefully received!!

Helpnoidea Sun 03-Mar-13 21:54:47

We always use Indorex household flea spray. One can treats a whole house and you can get it for under a tenner online. Make sure you vacuum before and after treating your house as apparently it wakes up the larvae. Good luck!

Gingerandproud Sun 03-Mar-13 21:59:18

Thanks, ill look at getting some of that. I grew up with cats and never had this problem! I just want them to go away!!

Gingerandproud Sun 03-Mar-13 22:06:04

Right,I have ordered some so can treat this week before floors get stripped! I really hope it works!!

Helpnoidea Mon 04-Mar-13 19:52:03

I know what you mean. Fleas are such tenacious creatures. I hope the Indorex does the trick.

Gingerandproud Mon 04-Mar-13 20:37:55

So do I. I didn't sleep much last night, the thought of them crawling around creeped me out! I've bleached all the floors I guess just so I think I'm doing something before the spray comes. I have also bought a flea bomb for the bedroom as I always seem to get bitten in there. Hopefully they are just in there but doubtful!

Any other tips out here?

MrsRoss26 Mon 04-Mar-13 20:51:17

Indorex is your best bet. That stuff is brilliant. Hoover religiously before and after - and regularly after. This is the most important bot as using the Indorex relies on you getting them all! Clean all soft furnishings and Hoover all furniture. The eggs gets everywhere, so be very thorough. Clean everything. Only by being thorough will you win!

Good luck, the bugs can be beaten.

Gingerandproud Mon 04-Mar-13 21:13:16

Thanks! Luckily house quite empty due to move. I know will say on the packaging but where do I spray the indorex?

Jules2 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:38:08

I hope the recommended products work for you. We had the same problem years ago when we moved into a rented flat where the previous tenants had had 2 (untreated) cats. In the end we had to get a pest controller in and leave the flat empty for a few hours. It's worrying to have to use such strong chemicals though. Cat owners - please take note and treat your pets with flea prevention medication.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now