Frontline out of date

(4 Posts)
Sheila Tue 29-Jan-13 06:31:20

My cat rarely goes outside and doesn't often get fleas, so I've been a bit slack on keeping her up to date with flea treatment.

Last week I found a live flea and dosed her up with frontline, but I noticed she's still scratching a lot, biting the base of her tail etc, so I suspected it hasn't worked. Checked the frontline packet and sadly it's well out of date.

So, my question is, how soon can I retreat her ( with in-date stuff, obvs)? Should I wait the usual month, or could I risk treating her again straight away, since the first lot didn't work.

lljkk Tue 29-Jan-13 07:35:02

I would phone a vet.

I've been reading up on how Frontline works, odds are that yours is effective but the infestation is well in place. New ones hatching out of the carpet and they typically die after 18 hours. Seeing lots of fleas is supposed to be a good sign hmm because it means the poison is working, making the fleas hyper-excited.

Are you vacuuming loads to encourage the rest of the feckers to hatch out?

Sheila Tue 29-Jan-13 08:06:52

Thanks- will call the vet to check. Yes I am hoovering away. Hope it's not too lateconfused

Where do they come from, that's what I'd like to know! We have been flea- free for years and then all of a sudden this, when there's snow on the ground!

Sheila Tue 29-Jan-13 08:10:09

Expiry date on Frontline was 10-2010 (I know!) so quite likely it hasn't worked?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now