Had to put my much loved cat to sleep - tell me it gets easier

(23 Posts)
Broodymomma Wed 07-Nov-12 18:29:25

I certainly did, thanks so much. Still can't bring myself to put his bowls away xx

piratecat Wed 07-Nov-12 08:01:57

broodymomma,

am so pleased you took comfort from it. sending a virtual hug for you.

will pop back and see how you are later.

piratecat

Broodymomma Tue 06-Nov-12 19:24:28

Piratecat that is beautiful. Thank you for posting it. I hope anyone else who is going through the loss of a pet takes as much comfort from it as I have. Sleep tight Benji you are so missed xx

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Tue 06-Nov-12 12:01:10

I appear to have dust in my eye from that poem. Ahem.

piratecat Tue 06-Nov-12 10:10:28

Poem For Cats

And God asked the feline spirit
Are you ready to come home?
Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
And, as a cat, you know I am most able
To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
Soon, replied the whiskered angel
But I must come slowly
For my human friends are troubled
For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? asked God
That you'll never leave them?
That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
That nothing is created or destroyed?
It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever.

Author Unknown

xxxxx

autumnfrost Mon 05-Nov-12 20:05:03

Of course not.He was part of your family

Broodymomma Mon 05-Nov-12 19:37:13

3 out of 5?? That is awful I am so sorry. I couldn't have a child for a long time and my cat was my baby for so long and he was so good with ds when he finally arrived we all miss him so much. I keep thinking I hear him in the house is that mad?

autumnfrost Mon 05-Nov-12 18:13:02

I am so sorry.I have been through it quite a few times 3 of our 5 cats have died in the past year!.It does get easier

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Mon 05-Nov-12 17:51:18

I'm so sorry Broody. We had our darling ginger pts 2 years ago for cancer. It does get better, but it's shit for a while.

JuliaScurr Mon 05-Nov-12 17:49:46

It is the last loving and kind thing we can do for them. I've heard vets say they consider it a privilege to be able to help animals to have a peaceful death.
It does get easier

Broodymomma Mon 05-Nov-12 17:45:24

Thanks so much lonecatkitten that really does help to know he did not feel the vein blowing. So sorry for your loss too. It really does hurt more than I ever imagined. Spent the day cleaning and coming across wee places he sneaked to sleep and finding his hairs had me in tears. We arranged today to have him cremated and will get his ashes back next week x

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 05-Nov-12 14:31:54

I am a vet and 6 weeks ago I had to make the same decision with my Pfbc. It does get easier, but it takes time. I haven't yet been able to bury her ashes that seems just to final.
What I can tell you is that the injection is an overdose of anesthetic so after the first dose your lovely cat would have been anaesthetised so not able to feel any of the other injections.

Broodymomma Sun 04-Nov-12 22:19:05

Thankyou all xx

JustFabulous Sun 04-Nov-12 19:54:02

Oh love sad. I am so sorry for your loss and totally understand how you feel. A cat is not just an animal. They are so much more than that.

My cat is 18 and has kidney disease (along with cancer and 2 other illnesses) so I am sure I will be posting something similar soon as she seems to be deteriorating.

You did your best for him and I hope you can find comfort in your happy memories.

MolotovBomb Sun 04-Nov-12 19:50:36

What you did was for the best. Although, you are second-guessing yourself about it now. My 17yo dog had to be put to sleep a he'd suffered a stroke. It's heartbreaking. I knew it was the end for him but when the vet told me so, it became so surreal. I held him as he died and felt his heaviness in my arms as he passed.

I loved that little dog.

I still think about him, 8 years later. It does get easier, though.
You learn to live without them around, and you get used to missing them. Give yourself time to grieve and cry. A time will come when you can think about your cat and you won't cry x

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Sun 04-Nov-12 19:44:56

<hugs>
You gave your little man the last gift we can give, a speedy and painless death.

Broodymomma Sun 04-Nov-12 19:41:40

Thank you so much all of you and am so sorry to hear of your own losses. You have all put my mind at rest re his passing although I will always wish it had been quicker for him. It's hitting me now as this is the time he would always come and cosy on the couch with me when ds went to bed. I miss him so much he uses to purr 24/7 he was just the loveliest animal. Rip my little man

Abra1d Sun 04-Nov-12 19:18:52

I have done this several times now. It is hard. These animals become part of the family and it is only natural that you should mourn. Empathy!

It does get easier. But don't feel that you have to show your 'loyalty' to your cat by not getting another one for ages and ages. We lost a puppy unexpectedly a few years ago and bought another one three days later. Some people were very shocked. We didn't do it to stop the pain of losing the first puppy (that will take some time). We still mourn her untimely death and miss her a lot, but there was no need for us to deprive ourselves of another loved animal in order to do so.

ModernToss Sun 04-Nov-12 19:17:48

I'm so sorry. You must be devastated. You did absolutely the right and kind thing, though, so please take some comfort from that.

Our cat does have cancer, and has three - six months, the vet says. We need to look out for signs of distress.

piratecat Sun 04-Nov-12 19:16:01

hiya. he went peacefully with you by his lovely side.

i am so so sorry for your loss. i understand so much how it hurts, and the gap it leaves. i have lost two cats in two yrs, and my Pixie had to be put down after a 4 day illness, which was such a huge shock as she was only 18 months old.

It does get easier, but it hurts for a long time, and it will keep coming at you in waves of tears. I do feel for you so much, and i hope that knowing i know how it hurts, will help you feel better. Your love for your pets is huge, they are so important. Don't worry about how slow it was, he would not have known what was happening to him op. As far as he was concerned he was having a lie down with his mum. You know how cats live in the absolute moment, well i found comfort in knowing this.

There is a beautiful poem, which i will post here in a couple days. Someone very kindly posted it to me when i lost my other cats yrs back, and i hope you love it too.

take care, and take it slowly xxxxx hugs

Broodymomma Sun 04-Nov-12 19:15:13

I feel for you I don't wish this on anyone. I hope your cats time is a long way off

Uppermid Sun 04-Nov-12 19:12:29

They are never just cats (or dogs or any other pet!) they are part of the family and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

We are going to have to make the decision soon re our cat, vet thinks she has cancer, she seems ok at the moment but the moment she looks distressed we'll have to do the same.

Broodymomma Sun 04-Nov-12 19:09:49

I can't stop crying. My adorable 13 year old cat was sadly put to sleep today after developing renal failure and after days of drips and antibiotics there was just no improvement.

I got to spend an hour with him beforehand and lay down on a blanket with him talking to him whilst it was done. What scares me is that although he went unconscious with the first jag it took 3 to stop his heart and I just can't bare that it took over 5 minutes for him to pass when I had thought it would be pretty instant. After the first jag he lowered his head onto his paw and never moved again but how long his heart took scared me. I hate to think he was aware.

Please tell me it gets easier with time. He only started showing signs on illness on Thursday so it's all been such a shock. The house feels empty I miss him so much. People say its just a cat but I had him from 7 weeks old and he has left a gaping hole in our home and hearts. Just had to write somewhere how I am feeling and that I miss you my little furball

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now