how can I persuade my cat to use the cat flap?

(6 Posts)
InvasionOfTheBodyShatners Sat 27-Oct-12 00:09:10

Ninja cat is laughing at you.

fuckwittery Sat 27-Oct-12 00:06:37

bizarre! just stuck my head into the dining room, where the cat flap is and cat is in the room! However, the food is virtually untouched and the magazine I propped the flap open with is still there?? Unsure how cat managed to get in through flap without dislodging magazine, and why hasn't she eaten her food? She was settled on a chair so hadn't just come in but looked mightily pissed off that I'd caught her in there. Guessing she's still sulking, possibly just marking her territory out before she eats?!

fuckwittery Fri 26-Oct-12 23:22:35

I tried to post the cat through earlier tonight to the food but she scratched my hand to buggery! have not fed up, left the food inside and by the flap, but propped the flap open a bit with a magazine. Hoping now its open she'll actually go through! If not then she is officially an idiot cat.

YouOldSlag Fri 26-Oct-12 23:17:41

I had to post my cat through the cat flap 4 or 5 times before she figured it out. She flies through it all day and all night now. Flighty madam.

InvasionOfTheBodyShatners Fri 26-Oct-12 23:16:14

A cat won't pass through a flap with an audience. This is a fact. Even seasoned flappers will play dumb if they think the door will be opened if they sit meowing by the flap.

Just leave the cat to do it when they know they have to ie when they're hungry and 5 mins of whining doesn't make person appear at door.

fuckwittery Fri 26-Oct-12 23:11:30

We have an anti social cat. She usually sleeps outside when the weather is OK. She is getting old and I'm trying to persuade her to come in at night through the cat flap. This is only our second winter in this house, last winter I hadn't got round to installing a cat flap and I brought her in and shut her in at night. Now I have a cat flap I just want her to come in by herself! I have left the food in the house on our side of the cat flap for a couple of nights running but she doesn't seem to work out that she can get through. She has learnt to get out OK, but seems scared of coming in, possibly because there's a sort of tunnel through the door, and she has to stick her head further in to come in if that makes sense. I left the flap taped open for a few days which is what the box advised me to do, but as soon as I put the flap down she stopped coming in. Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now