Help - no pets but have fleas

(5 Posts)
EmmelineGoulden Mon 22-Oct-12 11:16:31

We don't have any pets but two neighbouring cats often come round and play with my 3 year olds. The cats have been in the house occasionally, but not often. Mainly the DCs stroke and play with them on the front step or in the back garden.

I have been quite itchy lately and one of my DCs started scratching a few days ago. I put it down to the cold weather and central heating. But then today I saw a flea on my itchy DC!

I have no idea how to get rid of fleas.

If we don't have pets do I just need to stop her playing with the cats and eventually the fleas will all disappear? Or do I need to get soem type of flea spray (are they safe for 3 year olds)? Or get in an exterminator? I feel itchy just typing this out, so not sure how I'll tell if we actually manage to get rid of them.

GreeenFingers Mon 22-Oct-12 11:36:20

It is probably a one off rogue flee. If your house is contaminatedi'd get in touch with environmental health at the local council .They will be able to advise you and may trat your house for free,depending on where you live in the country.
Don't attempt to de flea a house with off the shelf products. They dont work . Only those sold at vets etc work.

imperialstateknickers Mon 22-Oct-12 11:48:51

Eww feeling itchy just reading!

Knickerscat managed to bring fleas in when I forgot to do the Frontline (anti-parasite treatment for the pet) one month. We don't get free or subsidised vermin treatment in this council area, and I used some stuff called RIP Fleas Extra, made by Genitrix, which I bought from the vet. I think it cost about £15 and it did the job. www.genitrix.co.uk

Do you know the person who owns the cats well enough to tell them they might have fleas? Sort of thing that needs tact!

Indorex from amazon and yes, let them know so they can treat the cat. You can then still let the cat in as any fleas left will bite the cat and then die.

Stronghold or advocate are better than frontline.

EmmelineGoulden Mon 22-Oct-12 12:31:45

Thank you all for the recommendations.

I will talk to the neighbour about the cat, don't think it will be a particularly difficult conversation, but not certain it will mean they'll treat the cats (not certain it won't either - they're just not very conventional).

I've only seen the one flea. How do I tell if the house is infested - will it be obvious?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now