Who has the most unusual pet on MN?

(32 Posts)
slipperandpjsmum Tue 28-Aug-12 14:28:59

I went into an exotic pet shop the other day and got chatting with the owner. He said people can't get enough of pygmy hedgehogs at the moment. Just wondered what unusual pets were around out there and whats its like living with them?

modifiedmum Wed 12-Sep-12 16:39:49

I've had two polecat ferrets before, couldn't keep them as when i moved landlord wanted no pets. Took them out for walks and everything! Always used to get stopped!

Blackberrybush Sat 22-Sep-12 11:47:45

I've had a chocolate skunk before- it was a rescue and had been descented by its previous owners, who'd abandoned it at Christmas, in a box in the snow. It died three years ago, but it was like a dog, it played catch with my other pets, it could be trained and loved to be cuddled.

I know someone who has a fox! A fennec fox. It's a lovely little thing, and like my skunk, was a rescue, this time from an exotic animal haul. It was given to an exotic animal rescue. She walks it using a little leash and collar, she even takes it to the school gate!

imawigglyworm Wed 03-Oct-12 10:14:41

I have a snake, 3 different types of geckos and giant African land snails (also 3 cats, a dog and 2 gerbils).
I know people with allsorts Pygmy hedgehogs, skunks, nile crocodiles and loads of creepy crawlies.
I love those sugar gliders smile
Tortoises are quite popular lately tbh. I guess all animals go through a phase where they are popular the sad thing is people don't research them first and find they can look after them and dump them sad

imawigglyworm Wed 03-Oct-12 10:25:20

Nile!! blush haha sorry meant dwarf cayman crocodiles

blibbleflop Thu 11-Oct-12 08:35:47

I've had an African Pygmy Hedgehog for just under 3 years now, she's low maintenance if a little grumpy smile

Jux Thu 11-Oct-12 09:26:57

I have locusts! I'm quite fond of them, though I can't tell them apart.

Olbasoil Thu 11-Oct-12 12:39:51

I would love a hedgehog , where did you get her ? The dog ( big old Newfie ) brings wild ones in to us. He is so gentle with them , I wonder how he manages with the spikes though. Do you keep her a run in or out doors, our tortoise has a run indoors which she can get out of but is still safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now