Ferrets + Baby

(5 Posts)
TheSilveryTinsellyPussycat Sat 12-Jan-13 18:35:36

This is so nice to hear. I love ferrets, never had one though, except for one night of looking after an elderly abandoned ferret I found as I was going into work. (Have had rats in the past, then a petless gap, now a cat)

gloucestergirl Fri 11-Jan-13 23:39:22

A further update in case there is anyone else with a ferret is having a baby...never know! Ten-month old LOVES the ferret. Thinks he is the funniest and best thing ever. The ferret ignores her completely and she isn't quick enough to chase him. As long as I keep an eye on them, they can both 'play' together happily.

gloucestergirl Tue 17-Apr-12 03:58:41

Quick update on the baby and ferret. They seem to live in parallel universes and don't seem to see each other. Quite spooky, but makes life easier smile

gloucestergirl Tue 21-Feb-12 23:06:08

I have a ferret too. Ours is an 'only ferret'....I was hoping to get him a ferrety friend before our baby comes, but he's been by himself too long to accept another ferret. I'm in week 39 with our first, so we are going to have to get used to the baby and also how to deal with the ferret and baby.

Before the ferret used to have free access over the house (we have a very small house), but is now in a cage in preparation for the baby coming. I am concerned about how to manage play time for the baby and the ferret at the same time. Obviously I want to make sure that they don't meet. How did you manage that? I was thinking about having the baby in a sling/carrier when the ferret is out playing as he is a little rascal and I'll need my eyes on both of them. I don't think that the ferret would be especially interested in the baby and he is not a biter. But they are attack-as-a-form-of-defence animals, which makes me more concerned about when the baby gets older.

I have no intention of getting rid of the ferret. Anyone who has had ferrets knows how adorable they are and how heart-breaking it would be to get rid of them. No one has said anything about having the ferret with the baby (or they are keeping their opinions quiet!). I would be more concerned with some people who treat their dogs as babies, which I think can be genuinely dangerous when an actual baby turns up. A work colleage told me about her dog that savaged a toy doll that it got jealous over. At least a ferret can be shut in the cage, or the baby easily kept out of the way (hopefully).

In a few weeks, I'll probably be asking for your advice smile Have you tried the ferret forum? They have loads of helpful stuff, being (slighty bonkers) ferret people.

Kalisi Mon 13-Feb-12 22:39:48

I have always been a lover of Ferrets and have 3 of my own (house ferrets). We now have a seven month old baby in the mix and am surprised at the amount of people that immediately think we should get rid of our pets! The ferrets are young and still prone to nipping occasionally but are in no means aggressive. They have never caused any injury to my son and he has never become sick from their "germs". That being said, I would never ever leave them alone with the baby but that is because they are animals not because they are ferrets. I fail to see the difference between having a ferret or any other animal. Are there any other ferret lovers out there who are facing the same opinions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now