Nearly 1.5m!

(28 Posts)
Draylon Sat 25-Jun-16 14:21:02

referendum petition

I know it won't make an iota of difference, however, wouldn't it be ironic if it got more signatures than Remain votes??!

Jasonandyawegunorts Sat 25-Jun-16 14:22:03

That wouldn't be ironic. It would be imposible.

HereSheComestoSavetheDay Sat 25-Jun-16 14:22:15

Speaking up is never useless.

hownottofuckup Sat 25-Jun-16 14:23:19

Why is it impossible Jason ?

StealthPolarBear Sat 25-Jun-16 14:24:21

Of course it's not impossisble

Valentine2 Sat 25-Jun-16 14:26:04

Honestly, if you get lied to and realise it quick enough and ask for a second chance, what the hell is wrong in it? It's still democracy and actually a better one at that.

Jasonandyawegunorts Sat 25-Jun-16 14:26:25

Do you realise the level of posssiblity to acheive that is so remote?

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 25-Jun-16 14:27:16

Who is going to pay for the whole thing to be done all over again?

And what if the result is the same again?

Jasonandyawegunorts Sat 25-Jun-16 14:28:43

And what if the result is the same again?
Then we will do another one, and this time ban over 60's.

StealthPolarBear Sat 25-Jun-16 14:30:11

I'm not signing it. I just don't understand why it's impossible for more people to click a few Web links, which let's face it people do all the time, than to get out and vote, which we know is problematic

midsomermurderess Sat 25-Jun-16 14:33:17

I think the petition is blatantly anti-democratic and frankly impertinent. We all knew the rules going into the the vote: the side with most votes wins, no minimum threshold to be achieved for constitutional reform, no do over.
I don't like the result but the result was to go and why should that be trumped by a petition from those who don't like it, what kind of democracy is that? and how arrogant. 'Can we just ignore all these people please?'
Image the uproar if it was the other way around. Yes, I think the outcome is shitty, people fell for lies and are in for a hell of a shock when realty hits then and it is a huge mistake but there is no going back and trying to change the rules now is unacceptable.

AristotlesTrousers Sat 25-Jun-16 14:37:15

I've signed it, even though I appreciate it's undemocratic (not that we actually live in a proper democracy anyway!). I want to add my voice. Too important for me to not do something. I realise it may be fruitless.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 25-Jun-16 14:38:45

It's not gaining momentum as fast as you'd think, is it!?

EnidButton Sat 25-Jun-16 14:48:37

I think 1 and a half million votes in less than 48 hours is pretty fast. Especially considering that it kept crashing yesterday which slowed it down.

I signed. I don't think it'll get us another referendum but I want to express myself somehow in a way which will be heard.

OurBlanche Sat 25-Jun-16 14:53:20

Lied to? That applies to both sides...

And nothing will change because of it. Why don't you lobby your MPs to call for an immediate General Election? That will stop it all dead in its tracks.

If you are going to moan and demand reversals, find out how to do it properly. It's just wasted effort otherwise.

PrettyDumb Sat 25-Jun-16 14:54:15

Did we really need another thread?

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Sat 25-Jun-16 14:56:13

I signed it. I'm not expecting another referendum, but it's a way of making a protest.

millefeuille1 Sat 25-Jun-16 14:56:37

If you want your voice heard, perhaps you might try contacting your MEP (I am assuming given the level of Euro expertise on here that we were all part of the massive 35% of the electorate who bothered to vote in the last Euro elections).

OurBlanche Sat 25-Jun-16 14:59:57

I did, I know who she is, what committees she sits on, what she stands for.

Like you, millefeulle1, I have wondered if some of those deprecating them even know who there's is!

millefeuille1 Sat 25-Jun-16 15:04:52

I would put money on the fact that a sizeable number of people commenting on the (many) threads here have no idea who their MEP is or what they do. But they sure are certain that we are going to Hell in a handcart without them.

OurBlanche Sat 25-Jun-16 15:12:30

There do seem to be so very many more politically aware and active people around now.

For the last couple of years I have been lambasted for being politically active... "Good for you Blanche" they said "that you have the time and energy to be politically active. Some of us don't have that luxury. It isn't that easy"

I can't help but wonder how many of them are now posted the vitriolic doom and gloom posts and how many are sitting quietly, not having voted!

Draylon Sat 25-Jun-16 15:15:36

I don't know who my Euro MEP is. That's because they've presumably been getting on with their job in a quiet, professional manner, thus I have had no need to intervene in any way.

OurBlanche Sat 25-Jun-16 15:31:50

So, you didn't vote for them, then?

MrsLupo Sat 25-Jun-16 15:46:49

The petition's not undemocratic in that it wasn't created in response to the referendum result, but a month earlier. So the person who started it was concerned regarding the lack of clear margin required irrespective of who won. The margins requested are those that were imposed on the Scottish independence referendum.

If the petition had reached 100,000 signatures before the referendum took place, parliament would have had to address the electorate's dissatisfaction ahead of time. This is not to say that anything would have changed, but that doesn't make the petition undemocratic - rather the reverse, I would have said.

bloodyteenagers Sat 25-Jun-16 15:56:23

The thing with these online petitions is that -
1) I can add my name twice - I have more than one email address - I use two surnames
2) People under the age is 18 can also add their name. So in theory I can use another one of my email address to add my under 18 year old. There is nothing to say you need to be of voting age.

So in theory any online petition could have more votes to remain that actually voted. Years ago I could easily add 6 names to this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now