Disabled Parking Place for Child at School

(3 Posts)
Rowan4Keir Fri 25-Sep-15 00:37:45

I have an 8 year old son (and wife) who suffers from the rare Familial Cold Autoinflammatory Syndrome Type 2.

There are only 13 reported cases of this in the world and my wife and son are the only cases in the UK. The others are in Guadelope, Northern Italy and South of France.

The condition is is a mutation of the NLRP12 gene at the ninth chromosome, The condition causes his autoimmune system to switch on irregularly and the faulty switch is not always able to switch itself off, therefore his body attacks itself. This leaves him in severe to excruciating pain.

My son attends St John’s Primary School in Edinburgh. He misses about 50% of school because of his condition, however, we do everything we can to get him to school, using a lot of analgesia, as much as possible.

Outside the school there is a painted disabled parking place but this is not enforceable so it is used regularly by people without a disabled pass, visiting the school and most importantly very regularly by two residents of the street where the school is located. This causes me to, at times, carry my son, who will be in severe pain, out of school, across a main road with him, and put him into the car at least 100 yards from the school gate.

The council have been trying for more than 18 months to enforce a traffic order to make the parking place enforceable but one person has held this up initially by submitting freedom of information requests followed by an objection to the traffic order. The objector is one of the residents who uses the disabled space even although he is not disabled. He is also the Secretary of the Local Community Council.

I have been informed that the Council will accept letters and emails of support from anywhere for the traffic order so I have come here for the first time to get some help. It is very easy.

Simply email andrew.burns@edinburgh.gov.uk saying your support proposed traffic order TRO/14/28B

You can check out the traffic order at the following URL: www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/download/1523/tro1428b_%E2%80%93_dppp_introduceremove_disabled_bays.

If you feel you can help me get this passed as soon as possible, can you also pass this post on to your network and ask them to do the same.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. The photograph is the objectors care in the disabled space without a disabled permit.

Rowan4Keir Fri 25-Sep-15 00:40:24

The p.s. should read "The photograph is the objector's car in the disabled space without a disabled permit"

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 25-Sep-15 15:31:52

Hi Rowan4Keir - we're just going to pop this over to our Petitions Noticeboard for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now